The Wichita Eagle "Shocker Summer" section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Wonderful article today about Linwood Sexton.
    Man... He seems like a heck of a man. Softens me up tremendously about ADES.
    I can't imagine anyone who would not thoroughly like Linwood Sexton if they had the honor of meeting him. Spent about an hour chatting with him at he Shocker welcome home celebration a couple of years ago. A very humble and unassuming man but at the same time also a very interesting man.

Comment

The missing piece to the ’64 NCAA postseason

Editor’s note: This story originally appeared in The Eagle on Feb. 15, 1997, the day Ernie Moore was inducted into the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame.

Dave Stallworth came to Wichita in 1960 and became the most amazing player in Shocker basketball history. But Stallworth’s first year on campus was when he learned what amazing was.

Amazing was named Ernie Moore.

“He was a sophomore and I was a freshman,” Stallworth said. “I’m out there with this guy, and he was just taking people to school.

“I learned so much of the game from Ernie, it wasn’t even funny.”
      Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/07/11/354...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        Ahhhh yes, Dr. Pronko.....reactional biography.......TA's pretty much ran his classes by the time I had him for my prof, but he was still pretty sharp.
        Its been way too many years and I can't recall accurately whether Professor Pronko was a member of the Behaviorist (which I think he was) or the Environmentalist school of psychology. But there was another WU professor in the Psych Department at the time who was of the opposite viewpoint of Pronko and they used to continually jab and poke fun at one another.

One day, we were about halfway through one of Pronko's classes and the door opened and the other professor threw a stuffed (I think it was stuffed) Monkey into the classroom. We got dismissed very early that day.

Comment

The 1963 Shockers consisted of Kelly Pete, Ernie Moore, Jamie Thompson, Dave Stallworth, Nate Bowman, and Dale Leach. Just WOW! A back up center would have been nice, but that still. It makes me wonder if in 50 years we'll be looking back and saying we had Cotton, VanVleet, Baker, Carter, and Early…or maybe next year it will be the guard trio + whomever comes up. Exciting times!
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            The 1963 Shockers consisted of Kelly Pete, Ernie Moore, Jamie Thompson, Dave Stallworth, Nate Bowman, and Dave Leach. Just WOW! A back up center would have been nice, but that still. It makes me wonder if in 50 years we'll be looking back and saying we had Cotton, VanVleet, Baker, Carter, and Early…or maybe next year it will be the guard trio + whomever comes up. Exciting times!
            Minor fix made.

Comment

Gene Wiley was an overlooked legend

Editor’s note: This column originally appeared in The Eagle on Dec. 25, 2005.

He once blocked 15 shots in a game, the most not only in Wichita State basketball history, but in the 99 years of the Missouri Valley Conference.

He had four triple-doubles during his Shocker career, tying Warren Armstrong for the most in WSU history. He played one of the greatest games a WSU player has ever played against Tulsa in 1962, scoring 22 points, grabbing 23 rebounds and blocking 10 shots.

He blocked 10 or more shots in a game five times. In 1960-61, he averaged 12.5 points and 12.1 rebounds.

He had 26 rebounds during a 1962 game against Bradley and 32 points against North Texas State in 1961.
              Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/07/14/354...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                Another guy, like Warren. If his jersey isn`t worthy of retiring, at least his picture should be hanging...
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Be kind of cool to have a Gene Wiley day at one of the games and have Dancin' Don Hall list his accomplishments on the PA.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    Be kind of cool to have a Gene Wiley day at one of the games and have Dancin' Don Hall list his accomplishments on the PA.
                    This is a good idea. Could replace some of their give-aways with player cards for past greats. Would be a good way to honor the past players/coaches, and inform younger fans. Plus, I'd rather start collecting player cards than ice-scrapers and frisbees.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      Great idea. We need to do it while Gene is still around. Perhaps a night to honor as many members of those early 60's teams as possible.

While Gene and Warren both had 4 triple-doubles they were a little different. Warren's triple-doubles were all points, rebounds and assists which is probably the more traditional way to accumulate triple-doubles. Gene's were points, rebounds and blocked shots which you certainly don't see very often. Perhaps Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain.

There are only 10 triple-doubles in Shocker history with Dave the Rave having 1 and Terry Benton having 1. Gene's are the only ones that included blocked shots.

I have heard Dave the Rave rave about how valuable Gene was to the Shocker teams of the early 60's. Dave said the other 4 guys could really be aggressive and gamble on defense because Gene would pretty much erase any mistakes they made.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 14, 2014, 04:30 PM. Reason: o

Comment

Make a list of the players of some note and have a Night for each one and make the night a special one for each. Or you could try and get a large group on a big name opponent night and call it "Night of Stars" and recognize each in some way. For those that were around after the plane crash you know about the "Night of Stars" but what the heck, at least this one would be a more joyful occasion.

Comment

Have to admit, had never heard of Gene Wiley before reading this thread and the linked story. All I can say is WOW! Why Mr. Wiley isn't remembered and honored as one of the greatest Shockers is beyond me. IMHO he deserves a night to be honored at CKA.
                          Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                            Have to admit, had never heard of Gene Wiley before reading this thread and the linked story. All I can say is WOW! Why Mr. Wiley isn't remembered and honored as one of the greatest Shockers is beyond me. IMHO he deserves a night to be honored at CKA.
                            Gene Wiley was inducted into the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame in 1981 so to say he isn't remembered or honored as a Shocker great is a bit of a stretch. But he is no doubt somewhat of an unknown among younger generations of Shocker fans, although Gene has been talked about every now and then on Shockernet (admittedly a small sampling of Shocker Nation).

Still, despite his induction into the Shocker Hall of Fame, Gene probably is one of the more under-appreciated Shocker athletes.

Comment

Even Gene's Shocker Hall of Fame Bio is very understated.

Gene Wiley (Basketball, 1959-62)

Fifth on WSU all-time rebounding list for a single season with 302, ninth overall with 695. Wichita Eagle-Beacon Most Valuable Player in 1961-62. Played pro ball with the Los Angeles Lakers. Inducted, 1981.
                              Doesn't even mentioned his prowess at blocking shots or his 4 career triple doubles.

Comment

Shocker Men's Basketball Hall of Fame players by Decade (players who straddled decades were put into the decade which encompassed the majority of their Shocker careers):

1950's - 4 (Dick Sanders, Cleo Littleton, Bob Hodgson, Joe Stevens and Al Tate)
                                1960's - 9 (Ron Heller, Lanny Van Eman, Gene Wiley, Ernie Moore, Dave Stallworth, Kelly Pete, Jamie Thompson, Warren Jabali and Greg Carney)
                                1970's - 3 (Terry Benton, Robert Elmore, Lynbert "Cheese" Johnson)
                                1980's - 4 (Cliff Levingston, Antoine Carr, Xavier McDaniel and Aubrey Sherrod)
                                1990's - 1 (Jason Perez)
                                2000's - 1 so far (Paul Miller)

Other players of note from the 1960's: Nate Bowman, John Criss, Leonard Kelley, Dave Leach, Ron Mendell, Melvin Reed, Vernon Smith and Ron Washington.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 15, 2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X