The Wichita Eagle "Shocker Summer" section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Shocker Men's Basketball Hall of Fame players by Decade (players who straddled decades were put into the decade which encompassed the majority of their Shocker careers):

1950's - 4 (Dick Sanders, Cleo Littleton, Bob Hodgson, Joe Stevens and Al Tate)
    1960's - 9 (Ron Heller, Lanny Van Eman, Gene Wiley, Ernie Moore, Dave Stallworth, Kelly Pete, Jamie Thompson, Warren Jabali and Greg Carney)
    1970's - 3 (Terry Benton, Robert Elmore, Lynbert "Cheese" Johnson)
    1980's - 4 (Cliff Levingston, Antoine Carr, Xavier McDaniel and Aubrey Sherrod)
    1990's - 1 (Jason Perez)
    2000's - 1 so far (Paul Miller)

Other players of note from the 1960's: Nate Bowman, John Criss, Leonard Kelley, Dave Leach, Ron Mendell, Melvin Reed, Vernon Smith and Ron Washington.
    I just noticed from this post by 1972Shocker that Cal Bruton is not included in the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame. Am I the only person who is astonished by this? The Cal Bruton - Robert Elmore combination was truly special in my opinion. Anybody else who is as amazed as I am that he is not included?

Comment

Shocker Summer Trivia:

Cleanthony Early deserves all the praise and kudos given to him. However, the following compares Cle's 2-year numbers with another former Shocker juco transfer's 2-year numbers. Cle's numbers are listed 1st.

GP: 75 vs 51
      Scoring Avg: 1,135/75 = 15.1 PPG vs 960/51 = 18.8 PPG
      FG%: 371-789 = 47.0% vs 414-818 = 50.6% (no 3-point shot in play for the latter)
      FT%: 280-342 = 81.9% vs 131-162 = 80.9%
      RPG: 415/75 = 5.53 RPG vs 209/51 = 4.10 RPG
      APG: 50/75 = 0.67 APG vs 156/51 = 3.06 APG
      TPG: 131/75 = 1.75 TPG vs 55/25 = 2.20 TPG (only available for latter's senior season)
      SPG: 58/75 = 0.77 SPG vs 48/25 = 1.92 SPG (only available for latter's senior season)
      BPG: 63/75 = 0.84 BPG vs Not Available

Question: Who is the other Juco transfer being compared to Cle on a per game statistical basis and what will he and Cle have in common?

Comment

Shocker Men's Basketball Hall of Fame players by Decade (players who straddled decades were put into the decade which encompassed the majority of their Shocker careers):

1950's - 4 (Dick Sanders, Cleo Littleton, Bob Hodgson, Joe Stevens and Al Tate)
        1960's - 9 (Ron Heller, Lanny Van Eman, Gene Wiley, Ernie Moore, Dave Stallworth, Kelly Pete, Jamie Thompson, Warren Jabali and Greg Carney)
        1970's - 3 (Terry Benton, Robert Elmore, Lynbert "Cheese" Johnson)
        1980's - 4 (Cliff Levingston, Antoine Carr, Xavier McDaniel and Aubrey Sherrod)
        1990's - 1 (Jason Perez)
        2000's - 1 so far (Paul Miller)

Other players of note from the 1960's: Nate Bowman, John Criss, Leonard Kelley, Dave Leach, Ron Mendell, Melvin Reed, Vernon Smith and Ron Washington.
        Ron Mendell keeps his hand in. I see him at the pickup games and regular season games quite frequently.

He is a good dude to visit with.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Shocked that Nate Bowman and Cal Bruton aren't in the Shocker HOF. I'd guess Paul Miller might end up there as well.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Shocker Summer Trivia:

Cleanthony Early deserves all the praise and kudos given to him. However, the following compares Cle's 2-year numbers with another former Shocker juco transfer's 2-year numbers. Cle's numbers are listed 1st.

GP: 75 vs 51
            Scoring Avg: 1,135/75 = 15.1 PPG vs 960/51 = 18.8 PPG
            FG%: 371-789 = 47.0% vs 414-818 = 50.6% (no 3-point shot in play for the latter)
            FT%: 280-342 = 81.9% vs 131-162 = 80.9%
            RPG: 415/75 = 5.53 RPG vs 209/51 = 4.10 RPG
            APG: 50/75 = 0.67 APG vs 156/51 = 3.06 APG
            TPG: 131/75 = 1.75 TPG vs 55/25 = 2.20 TPG (only available for latter's senior season)
            SPG: 58/75 = 0.77 SPG vs 48/25 = 1.92 SPG (only available for latter's senior season)
            BPG: 63/75 = 0.84 BPG vs Not Available

Question: Who is the other Juco transfer being compared to Cle on a per game statistical basis and what will he and Cle have in common?
            Bobby Wilson and playing in the NBA?
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
              Yes, but I have his FT% a little higher at 81.5%.

Comment

Originally posted by 150946shox View Post
                I just noticed from this post by 1972Shocker that Cal Bruton is not included in the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame. Am I the only person who is astonished by this? The Cal Bruton - Robert Elmore combination was truly special in my opinion. Anybody else who is as amazed as I am that he is not included?
                I think Cal certainly deserves serious consideration I would think he probably has been nominated in the past although I don't know that for sure. Point guards are at somewhat of a disadvantage in that one of their key attributes, floor leadership, doesn't generally show up in the stat sheets although Cal's stats are solid. Cal is currently 25th on the career scoring list although his per game average of 11.6 would not be a top 25 number although very solid for a point guard. Cal is still 4th on the all-time career assist leader with 404 which equates to a 3.96 per game average. By comparison Warren Jabali averaged 5.5 assists per game over his 3-year career. Again a very solid number. Calvin wasn't a great shooter at 42.5% from the field but he was a solid 7.5.5% from the line. Calvin was never 1st team All-Valley. His teammate Bob Elmore was a 3-time All Valley 1st teamer. Not sure if that is holding him back or not. I would certainly have no problem seeing Cal voted in. Perhaps that will still happen.

Other players of note who might be worthy of consideration, some of whom will eventually be in the Shocker Hall of Fame:
                1966-69 Ron Washington
                1969-72 Ron Harris (@ 16.9 PPG Ron is in the top 10 all-time in scoring average - he played 3 years)
                1972-74 Bobby Wilson (see comparison to Cleanthony Early above)
                1970-73 Vince Smith
                1983-87 Gus Santos
                1985-89 Steve Grayer
                1987-91 John Cooper
                1987-91 Paul Guffrovich
                1985-89 Sasha Radunovich
                2001-05 Randy Burns
                2001-05 Jamar Howard
                2004-05 P.J. Couisnard
                2004-07 Kyle Wilson
                2007-11 J.T. Durley
                2008-12 Toure Murry
                2008-12 Garrett Stutz
                2012-14 Cleanthony Early
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 14, 2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                  Winner, winner chicken dinner. Well winner, winner anyway.

Wilson's 18.8 per game scoring average is 4th all-time in Shocker history.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    Shocked that Nate Bowman and Cal Bruton aren't in the Shocker HOF. I'd guess Paul Miller might end up there as well.
                    Paul is in. Inducted in 2013. 1st player from the 21st century. Obviously many more to follow.

Comment

I think Cal certainly deserves serious consideration I would think he probably has been nominated in the past although I don't know that for sure. Point guards are at somewhat of a disadvantage in that one of their key attributes, floor leadership, doesn't generally show up in the stat sheets although Cal's stats are solid. Cal is currently 25th on the career scoring list although his per game average of 11.6 would not be a top 25 number although very solid for a point guard. Cal is still 4th on the all-time career assist leader with 404 which equates to a 3.96 per game average. By comparison Warren Jabali averaged 5.5 assists per game over his 3-year career. Again a very solid number. Calvin wasn't a great shooter at 42.5% from the field but he was a solid 7.5.5% from the line. Calvin was never 1st team All-Valley. His teammate Bob Elmore was a 3-time All Valley 1st teamer. Not sure if that is holding him back or not. I would certainly have no problem seeing Cal voted in. Perhaps that will still happen.

Other players of note who might be worthy of consideration, some of whom will eventually be in the Shocker Hall of Fame:
                      1966-69 Ron Washington
                      1969-72 Ron Harris (@ 16.9 PPG Ron is in the top 10 all-time in scoring average - he played 3 years)
                      1972-74 Bobby Wilson (see comparison to Cleanthony Early above)
                      1970-73 Vince Smith
                      1983-87 Gus Santos
                      1985-89 Steve Grayer
                      1987-91 John Cooper
                      1987-91 Pual Guffrovich
                      1985-89 Sasha Radunovich
                      2001-05 Randy Burns
                      2001-05 Jamar Howard
                      2004-05 P.J. Couisnard
                      2004-07 Kyle Wilson
                      2007-11 J.T. Durley
                      2008-12 Toure Murry
                      2008-12 Garrett Stutz
                      2012-14 Cleanthony Early
                      Pre-2000, Sasha is the big omission to me, but he also happens to be one of my all time favorites, so I'm biased. Don't know how Coop's injury will play into this, but, if not for that injury, I bet he'd already be in.

It will be interesting to see how Cle's fame as a Shocker and being a juco will be looked at. It should open some awards to other 2 year players like Wilson.

Comment

Speaking of 2-year players I think I missed Shocker Hall of Famer Preston Carrington. Of course, Preston, while a terrific basketball player, is probably in the Shocker HOF more for his track exploits.

Preston Carrington (Track, Basketball, 1969-71)

Placed fifth in the long jump at the 1972 Olympics with a leap of 26-2 1/2. In 1970 was third in long jump at NCAA Championships and placed sixth in 1971. Was also a two year starter at guard in basketball. Charter Inductee, 1979.

Comment

Wilson was a great Shocker basketball player. However, Cle's troublesome team stats are difficult to keep out of the equation. A Final 4 season, undefeated regular season, and All American status will be hard to forget about and keep him out of the HOF when the time comes. Another comparison that I would surmise(from my memory only as I didn't have the time to research it), is that Bobby Wilson wasalmost the entire WSU team (the two years he played) and he played almost the whole game while Cle played less in his two years. Additionally, I'd be surprised to find out that Cle took as many shots as Wilson did. Cle definitely deserves the HOF in my opinion when he is allowed in.

Comment

I don't mean to nit pick but if my memory is correct (and often it isn't), Preston Carrington was a great athlete and very nice basketball player but I think that he was the 6th man (coming off the bench) his first year at WSU.

Placed fifth in the long jump at the 1972 Olympics with a leap of 26-2 1/2. In 1970 was third in long jump at NCAA Championships and placed sixth in 1971. Was also a two year starter at guard in basketball. Charter Inductee, 1979.

Comment

No doubt Cle played on two of the best Shocker teams ever and he had a lot to do with that. But so did Coach Marshall, Carl Hall, Malcom Armstead, Fred Van Vleet, Ron Baker, Tekele Cotton, and Darius Carter. Cleanthony no doubt deserves some credit for being a very key part of this group.

OTOH, I don't know if Bob Wilson's accomplishments should necessarily be diminished because he played on a weaker team with perhaps weaker coaching (Harry Miller).

Jason Perez was the best player on bad teams as well. As I recall, Greg Carney wasn't shy about making sure he got his share of shots. Both Shocker Hall of Famers.

Jason would have been fabulous on recent Shocker teams. Some might say Ron Baker is Jason Perez 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                                I don't mean to nit pick but if my memory is correct (and often it isn't), Preston Carrington was a great athlete and very nice basketball player but I think that he was the 6th man (coming off the bench) his first year at WSU.

I think I mentioned that Preston was in the HOF more for his track exploits than his basketball skills. Just pointingt out that I did not list him on by initial schedule and the Pizza Hut Hall of Fame does show him inducted for Track and Basketball.

I think it's safe to assume he would not be in the HOF though if he had only played basketball at WSU although he no doubt got credit for being a multi-sport athlete. Not a lot of those in the Shocker HOF.

Comment

Working...
                                X