2014 Pick-Up Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
    I briefly ran into Gregg & Lynn yesterday at the Air Capital Classic. He was smiling ear to ear as we talked about the talent and depth of this years rooster. Of course he didn't go into detail, however he alluded that early in the process there is no reason to believe that expectations shouldn't change from the past two years. He was almost giddy. Is it October yet?
    If Gregg is feeling that way this early in the process, I can only imagine how he will feel come the start of the season--barring any injuries before hand. Loving it.

Comment

It figures the first week I can get to practice Baker and FVV won't be there. Oh well, just gives a better look at the new guys.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        It figures the first week I can get to practice Baker and FVV won't be there. Oh well, just gives a better look at the new guys.
        Are the practice times available?

Comment

Originally posted by Ol skool View Post
          The NCAA permits organized team practices, during the summer. I belive the practices are limited to two hours per week, but I am not sure. Generally outsiders are not permitted to observe. However, there is an invitation to attend process, but I do not know it. It is my understanding that anyone may receive an invitation, but they are limited. If you are interested, I suggest you visit the basketball office and inquire about the process. It is too easy to tell you "no" on the phone.

There is not a limit on pick-up games. In theory, the coaching staff is not directly involved. Currently, pick-up games begin in late afternoon. Generally, the games begin around 4:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M. However, start times may vary a great deal. Sometimes you might arrive and the games have been completed or the games were not played that day. It is strictly a pot luck matter, unless you have inside information from a player or staff member.

Here are a couple of matters to consider. The arena doors are locked at 5:00 P.M. After closing, you will not be asked to leave. Sometimes games are not played on Friday afternoons. Boys night out ahead. Games might be played on the main court or practice court. So be sure to check both locations. For the purists, I believe the main court is properly called Devlin Court, but I am not sure. If landmarks are not named after me, such as Rio Court or RDR Court, I do not keep up with it.

One more item. Cold was shooting a video, but the players disapproved. So he stopped. Do not plan to take photos or videos without player approval.
          Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; June 22, 2014, 10:43 AM. Reason: x
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ol skool View Post
            They are not, and to clarify, RDR's comments about Cold's attendance are at the scrimmages. Practices are practices. IF you happen to be in CKA and wander into a practice instead of a scrimmage, please do not stay. When you are seen, you will be asked to leave. The way you'll know the difference? If you don't see coaches, then it's a scrimmage. If you see any coaches, get out. I'm sure everyone understands why.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              The NCAA permits organized team practices, during the summer. I belive the practices are limited to two hours per week, but I am not sure. Generally outsiders are not permitted to observe. However, there is an invitation to attend process, but I do not know it. It is my understanding that anyone may receive an invitation, but they are limited. If you are interested, I suggest you visit the basketball office and inquire about the process. It is too easy to tell you "no" on the phone

There is not a limit on pick-up games. In theory, the coaching staff is not directly involved. Currently, pick-up games begin in late afternoon. Generally, the games begin around 4:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M. However, start times may vary a great deal. Sometimes you might arrive and the games have been completed or the games were not played that day. It is strictly a pot luck matter, unless you have inside information from a player or staff member.

Here are a couple of matters to consider. The arena doors are locked at 5:00 P.M. After closing, you will not be asked to leave. Sometimes games are not played on Friday afternoons. Boys night out ahead. Games might be played on the main court or practice court. So be sure to check both locations. For the purists, I believe the main court is properly called Devlin Court, but I am not sure. If landmarks are not named after me, such as Rio Court or RDR Court, I do not keep up with it.

One more item. Cold was shooting a video, but the players disapproved. So he stopped. Do not plan to take photos or videos without player approval.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                They are not, and to clarify, RDR's comments about Cold's attendance are at the scrimmages. Practices are practices. IF you happen to be in CKA and wander into a practice instead of a scrimmage, please do not stay. When you are seen, you will be asked to leave. The way you'll know the difference? If you don't see coaches, then it's a scrimmage. If you see any coaches, get out. I'm sure everyone understands why.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  I don't even know how to speak hyperbolese.
                  Ohhh, it's a language! I thought it was yet another college bole game that KU didn't get to play in.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Ohhh, it's a language! I thought it was yet another college bole game that KU didn't get to play in.
                    I think KU football plays in bowel games

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                      The NCAA permits organized team practices, during the summer. I belive the practices are limited to two hours per week, but I am not sure. Generally outsiders are not permitted to observe. However, there is an invitation to attend process, but I do not know it. It is my understanding that anyone may receive an invitation, but they are limited. If you are interested, I suggest you visit the basketball office and inquire about the process. It is too easy to tell you "no" on the phone.

This is something I have ALWAYS been curious about. Thanks for the heads up! Gonna start trying my luck now.

Comment

Has anybody viewed any pick-up sessions? Can anybody fill us in as to what's going on in Koch Arena in the late afternoons?
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Pick up games

Finals were over last week, so most of the players went home for a short vacation. The coaches have been on the recruiting trail this month when there are a lot of AAU games. The players will be back sometime in Aug, perhaps another week or two & the pick up games will then resume. I'm sure we'll hear about it form Paul Suellentrop when they resume practices.

Comment

What are the chances they'll have a pickup game Monday?
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

This will pick you up.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Did pickup games begin today?

Comment

Working...
                                X