2014 Pick-Up Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Pick-Up Games

Other than Cold's report, I do not recall a thread about 2014 pick-up games. If there is, then Kai may want to move this post.

I watched about 45 minutes of play today. Here are some of my thoughts.

1. Since I do not know the new recruits by sight and name, I cannot offer much on them.

2. When I walked into the practice court, my first thought was "look at the size." My next thought was size and athleticism.

3. Fred was a show stopper. I swear that his ball handling has improved. He was a Houdini with the ball in a crowd. He put on a sh*t shot clinic as well and the ball just kept going in the hole. I am telling you. It was impressive. He has great court awareness. Also, he seems a little quicker and faster to me. When he was on the floor, he controlled almost every aspect of his team's play. One more item about Fred. His dribble penetration with a hesitation move was all pro. It had defenders grabbing at air.

4. In the last third or half of last season, Ron was more aggressive in taking the ball to the basket. Well, he was even more aggressive today. Plus he was draining 3 balls. He plays hard every minute that he is on the floor.

5. Tekele looks awfully good in a sleeveless t-shirt. He played with so much confidence. Once he got sorta caught between two defenders and it forced him to put up a jump shot off the wrong foot. Swish.

6. When Coach Marshall said Ria'n could shoot 3 balls, it might have been an understatement. Ria'n is fun to watch. He can shoot and drive really well.

7. When Darius played, which was not often, he was smooth operator. The newbies could not guard him.

8. I wish I could say more about the new players other than big and athletic. The Euro big from Sun Rise did not grab my attention much, but one play did. He took a pass at the top of the circle and went straight up with a shot. No hesitation. Swish. At the time I said to myself, "That is not the first time that he has done that."

9. Morris missed too many shots. When he leans on someone, he has been leaned on, if you know what I mean. He looked fit to me.

10. There was a white kid on the floor at times. He looked 6-2 to me. I suspect he is the walk-on from Iowa. While he did not play a lot, he did not look intimidated.

11. Evan was there. He hardly played. He hardly played yesterday either per Cold's report. I just have to wonder.

12. As a generalization, without benefit of a box score, it is my guess that the freshmen did not shoot well. They were aggressive players and attacked the basket at will.

13. Bush passes the airport test. He looks more fluid and aware than EO did, but I would not put him in the HOF just yet. However, I suspect he will be a better player than EO. I have no guess on how much better.

I have no idea how well the Shocks will fare in non-con, but the Valley will have its hands full with this team. I know this next statement will seem mindless to some, but I would not be surprised, if the Shocks go undefeated in Valley play next season.

Here is the starting line-up for next season as follows:

VanVleet
    Baker
    Cotton
    Carter
    Mr. X.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Awesome, Thanks RdR! Wish I could catch some of that action! Can we just skip football season and go straight to basketball?
    Keep us posted, learn some names! ;)
    Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      7. When Darius played, which was not often, he was smooth operator. The newbies could not guard him.

8. I wish I could say more about the new players other than big and athletic. .

9. Morris missed too many shots. When he leans on someone, he has been leaned on, if you know what I mean. He looked fit to me.

12. As a generalization, without benefit of a box score, it is my guess that the freshmen did not shoot well. They were aggressive players and attacked the basket at will.
      Sound's like a lot of raw material for 3G to mold. Hopefully, the newbies will buy in and learn to defend and rebound up to 3G's standards. The offense will eventually come around if they can earn enough playing time by doing the former.

Comment

Originally posted by shockrah View Post
        Can we just skip football season and go straight to basketball?
        Keep us posted, learn some names! ;)
        I sure hope not. I would absolutely miss Shocker volleyball in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I sure hope not. I would absolutely miss Shocker volleyball in a big way.
          I guess we gave started skipping football in the mid 80's! LOL
          Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

I would guess that Mr. X is Tevin Glass

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I would guess that Mr. X is Tevin Glass
              Could be. My guess is 3G is going to want some offense coming off the bench. I see him going with defense and rebounding in the Mr. X spot. That might be Tevin. Might be B-Wam. In any case, while we had a 3-headed monster at the 5 last year, 3G seems to have an even more interesting group of players at the 4 and 5 this year between Darius, B-Wam, Rauno, Tevin, Shaq, Rashard and Eric (assuming he doesn't redshirt) this year to mix and match depending on whether he wants to go big, little or somewhere in between. That's a 6, maybe 7-headed monster. There will be no reason for these guys not to be going full blast anytime they are on the floor. Plus we will have 30 to 35 fouls per game to give at the 4 and 5. You think it would be tough to get us into very much foul trouble down low.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 18, 2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Could be. My guess is 3G is going to want some offense coming off the bench. I see him going with defense and rebounding in the Mr. X spot. That might be Tevin. Might be B-Wam. In any case, while we had a 3-headed monster at the 5 last year, 3G seems to have an even more interesting group of players at the 4 and 5 this year between Darius, B-Wam, Rauno, Tevin, Shaq, Rashard and Eric (assuming he doesn't redshirt) this year to mix and match depending on whether he wants to go big, little or somewhere in between. That's a 6, maybe 7-headed monster. There will be no reason for these guys not to be going full blast anytime they are on the floor. Plus we will have 30 to 35 fouls per game to give at the 4 and 5. You think it would be tough to get us into very much foul trouble down low.
                I believe the MVC refs will figure out how to do that.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  I believe the MVC refs will figure out how to do that.
                  Normally I would agree with your thought pattern here....but the MVC I believe has rethought that strategy. Wichita St. is the new Creighton in that league. The MVC knows Wichita will be enticed to leave the Valley so the whole "equal employer" thing I believe has shifted south now that Omaha is gone.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                    Normally I would agree with your thought pattern here....but the MVC I believe has rethought that strategy. Wichita St. is the new Creighton in that league. The MVC knows Wichita will be enticed to leave the Valley so the whole "equal employer" thing I believe has shifted south now that Omaha is gone.
                    You give, IMHO, way too much credit to the MVC decisionmakers.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Great report RDR. I remember seeing some video of last year's pick up games, I think KWCH produced them, and thinking at the time how tough that team was going to be to beat. Turns out, they were tough to beat. Your second point is probably the one thing that really excites me about this year's edition of Shox BB. Because, well you know, size matters.

Thanks for the write up and keep em coming.

Comment

where is cold's report?

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          where is cold's report?

Post number 54.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Paul Suellentrip Report.

Focusing on Corey Henderson's intro to D-1 College Basketball.

Some nice elite summer camp invites and exposure for Fred, Ron and Darius.

Also we have a new invited walk-on, Jared Walker, a 6-3 guard from Dubuque, Iowa.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 20, 2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                              thanx.

interesting. if cold had 2+ years ago said that wichita state was about to go to the final four and follow that up with a 35-0 start because they had too many men amongst a field of college boys, he'd have probabaly been ran off sooner.

i'm not worried about who takes van vleet's place, either, as a backup or if, but more likely, when, he goes pro. to wit:

that is amazing. corey henderson jr. wichita state is truly loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X