No announcement yet.

2014 Pick-Up Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Aargh:, thanks for sharing that tidbit! I had read between the lines that everything was hush-hush, but hadn't seen it stated.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Here's the deal. I never made one thin dime coaching basketball and only seen 1 session of scrimmages several months ago which still makes me uninformed. However, when has that ever stopped me? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

My feel on this years team? I would not trade Cotton, Baker( a very bad, bad boy), or FVV for any 1,2,3 combo's on any other teams' 1,2 and 3 in the Country. Carter will start and be solid at the 4. Since we lost around 40% of our scoring, mostly our bigs including Cle, the unkown factor could rest on how well all of our new bigs develop and catch on at this level. I think Cotton will have his very best Season his Senior year which is right around the corner.

OF our new players, which are many, I think Nurger will be a sleeper and maybe a starter by Valley time. He rebounds, hustles, and can block shots and shoots quite well with range. He had me at hello and is a keeper

Who played the best on the scrimmages that day? FVV did and was on a team with Cotton, Kelly, Bush, and Holland and they never lost one game that day. Holland scored his fair share of points that day and sure can light it up.

Kelly has a great motor and I feel he is also a keeper and will get nice minutes. However, I hope he gets more range on his shot where he could play the 3 because we have lots of 4's.

Glass rebounds, is solid in the open court, and when I watched him, had some nice shots from 10' out. However, another gentlemen seen him on another day and he was missing those same 10' shots regular. While many on here project him as an early starter, I think Bush may start at the 5 early on.

Bush is a good rebounder, has better hands than EO, but not as fast as EO or can he jump as high. I do think he can score more points than EO. 3G loves players that defend the rim like Carl Hall and EO did. Who can do that best on our new bigs? Dunno, but I hope several players can. My guess is Bush will start some games because of rebounding, but by Valley time, I look for Nurger to start. `While this is my opinion, another fan saw some scrimmages and was raving about how talented Shaq looked and projected him as a starter at the 5. I see Shaq playing more 4 than 5 behind Carter.

Henderson is a true point guard and can light it up as my friend watched him one day do. His shot and Brown's were both off the day I watched, but I really liked them both lots and project them both in our regular rotation. Brown is quite athletic and I liked him last Season watching scrimmages.

Wessel always hustles and will help us win as he did last Season, even in a shooting slump. I have another friend predicting he will be a sleeper player off the bench for us this Season with a new shot of lasting confidence.

In conclusion, fasten up your black and yellow seat-belts because we are in for an exciting ride again. With this many new players to get locked in and hitting on all cylinders together, will be a process. However, Marshall is awesome at that task of molding them and I really like this new group of players we have and the quality depth we bring to the table and Dance. The tremendous work ethic of our team when no one is watching will pay nice dividends when the bright lights do shine and our stingy defense gets revved up. The best is yet to come and the black and yellow curtains will open before we know it to jump-start our beloved Shocks to again prove we are primed and ready to rumble and win.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Great report! Thanks!!
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          Any info we get is scouting info our opponents get.
          My sources indicate that Simon may get the nod for the starting position at Center.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            My sources indicate that Simon may get the nod for the starting position at Center.
            Fred has been kicked off the team as well. Violation of program rules. I guess there's no need for our opponents to scout him anymore.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Since we apparently have to use uniforms that were used last year, I bet we don't even make it to the season. We don't have money to continue with basketball. Expect an announcement to fold the program on September 31. No need for anyone to scout us ever again.

Oh, and on that same day, KU will announce that they really did have us on their schedule this year and that Bill Self regrets missing the opportunity to match coach wits against a coaching legend like Gregg Marshall.
              78-65

Comment

Late addition announcement to the Shocker Roster.

The NCAA has granted Grant Gibbs another year of eligibility and he has transferred to Wichita State. However, because his degree is from Creighton University he has not met minimum acceptance requirements for transfers to WSU and will therefore be required to pass all reading and writing remedial coursework. Look for Mr. Gibbs to be eligible the second semester. Maybe?

Comment

Doubtful, apprently his transcript was on a Big Chief tablet.

The FBI wound up involved as no one at the NCAA knew what it was, and called it "suspicious".

Comment

It's going to be a real battle for minutes between Shaq, Bush Wam, Nurger, Glass, and Kelly. Hopefully three of the five stand out from the crowd.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                      Doubtful, apprently his transcript was on a Big Chief tablet.

The FBI wound up involved as no one at the NCAA knew what it was, and called it "suspicious".
                      Not only that, it appears he was born in the Dominican Republic and they suspect he may really be 33 years old.

Comment

Very sad news all. I heard that Ron Baker's real passion is football and that he has received a recent offer from Tampa Bay to start as the QB. It is an offer he could not refuse (5 year - $75 million). He said that it was a very very tough decision and a little embarrasing for him to leave the team for so little money and pass up the chance to win a national basketball championship. He's in the process of withdrawing from classes at Wichita State. Just another Shocker that teams will not have to scout.

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777 View Post
                          Very sad news all. I heard that Ron Baker's real passion is football and that he has received a recent offer from Tampa Bay to start as the QB. It is an offer he could not refuse (5 year - $75 million). He said that it was a very very tough decision and a little embarrasing for him to leave the team for so little money and pass up the chance to win a national basketball championship. He's in the process of withdrawing from classes at Wichita State. Just another Shocker that teams will not have to scout.
                          TB needs a lot of help.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Man, we need the season to start, don't we? Was hoping the Chiefs would take thru November but, true to form, they're breaking my heart.

Comment

Have faith my brother. The Patriots are beatable at Arrowhead. 49ers are logical loss on the road but then there are 4 winnable game with a bye sandwiched in between.
                              So take a deep breath.
                              "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                              which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Thread title: Pickup games (presumably WSU's, since it's in the Men's Basketball forum)

Actual current subject: Chiefs upcoming schedule

Sounds about right for offseason Shockernet, the home of ADD.

Comment

Working...
                                X