New Recruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zach Haynes View Post
    Thinking the same thing.. What does it mean by 'signing a financial aid agreement'? So is Rauno a walk on?
    That's pretty standard language in recruiting. As far as I know, it actually doesn't mean much of anything as far as a commitment goes, so I'm not sure why it was used that way here.

Last football recruiting cycle, 4* RB Dalvin Cook signed financial aid agreements with Florida State, Florida, and Miami on the same day if I remember right. It allowed their staffs unlimited contact with him, and essentially made it a three team race. He was an early enrollee so he used it to speed up the recruiting process to settle on a team quickly. http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2013/12...mi-fsu-florida
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

If he is already attending classes and practices,no one else can recruit him so this isn't similar to the FSU comparison.

Comment

Don't all new players sign financial aid agreements once they're enrolled? There has to be some paperwork that governs the terms on which scholarship assistance is given, and how it's handled, once it begins.

Someone who's actually inside the process could correct me on this, but I'm guessing Wamukota, Henderson, Brown, et al., have also signed financial aid agreements if they're in summer school. Classes in summer school aren't free, and the tuition has to get paid somehow.

Comment

from sullentrop

Stopped by the Wichita State basketball offices today to answer the two pressing questions. I departed, as a I feared, not knowing much more than when I entered. To recap:

• Coach Gregg Marshall assured me he knows how to count to 13, as in the number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA. With the addition of center Rauno Nurger, WSU is obligated to 14 players. That can’t be the case when school starts in the fall, and Marshall, as he always has, said the scholarship situation will work out by the time it needs to. That leaves many options – academics, prep school, injury, homesickness, lovesickness – to pare down the roster. For now, no decision has been made.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            from sullentrop

Stopped by the Wichita State basketball offices today to answer the two pressing questions. I departed, as a I feared, not knowing much more than when I entered. To recap:

• Coach Gregg Marshall assured me he knows how to count to 13, as in the number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA. With the addition of center Rauno Nurger, WSU is obligated to 14 players. That can’t be the case when school starts in the fall, and Marshall, as he always has, said the scholarship situation will work out by the time it needs to. That leaves many options – academics, prep school, injury, homesickness, lovesickness – to pare down the roster. For now, no decision has been made.
            I do not mind, if Paul poaches my posts and comments. I just wish he would give some credit to me.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Haynes View Post
              Thinking the same thing.. What does it mean by 'signing a financial aid agreement'? So is Rauno a walk on?
              The deadline to sign an NLI (national letter of intent) was May 21. A financial aid agreement is more of a one-way commitment. The school is officially on the hook for a scholarship if the player chooses to attend (even if the player is injured before arriving), but the player is still free to go elsewhere. So it is possible for a player to sign a financial aid agreement with multiple schools and then choose at a later date. Once the player takes a class or participates in an official practice I believe he is then locked in and would have to transfer and sit out a year if he changed his mind.

There's no reason to believe this will be an issue with Nurger, but Milton Doyle at Loyola is an example of a player who committed late (KU) and signed a financial aid agreement. In the summer he practiced with the team and probably took some classes, but decided to transfer before the fall classes or practices started. He still had to sit out a year before he could play at Loyola.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                If he is already attending classes and practices,no one else can recruit him so this isn't similar to the FSU comparison.
                Wasn't drawing a comparison in circumstances. Drawing a comparison to the phrase "signed financial aid paperwork," which does not imply a commitment.

Taking classes does.
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Nice signing

Comment

Working...
                  X