No announcement yet.

New Recruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladies and Gentlemen....we have our 5 and we will be good again!!!
    Good Gawd this is getting just ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. ~ Can't believe the kid didn't go to Kentucky... ;)
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
      I'm not sure if I like the hanging on the rim and jawing at the guy he just dunked on, but I would imagine HCGM will have that nipped in the bud.
      I don't disagree, but I'd rather calm someone down than work to get them fired up.

Coach Linstead from Sunrise compared him to Paul Miller, but Paul never blocked shots or dunked like that.
      Last edited by wu_shizzle; June 4, 2014, 02:53 PM.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Well, AZ, since as you know almost everyone does go to Kentucky these days, if Cauley-Stein had left he probably would have. So maybe it's fortunate for WSU that WC-S got hurt in UK's next game.

Of course, if was going to get hurt anyway, it would have been considerate of him to help WSU by getting hurt in their previous game, in which case he wouldn't have been on the court to come after FVV's final shot (among other things)...

Edit: By the way, shizzle, I'm with you on Hurger's fire. I've never tried to coach real athletes, but I have to believe it's easier -- especially for someone as skilled as Marshall is in getting his players to perform -- to channel passion that's already there than to try to unearth it, or to manufacture it from scratch.
        Last edited by WSUwatcher; June 4, 2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
          I'd rather have a player with too much edge that needs to be corralled than a nice player that you have to get playing angry. Imagine if Stutz had that kid's edge.
          I agree. Malcolm Armstead's attitude got put into a very productive channel.
          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I'm thinking predicting how youngsters will respond is always a guessing game. Some are self-motivated (FVV), some need a little extra love to be motivated (Aaron Hogg, E.O.), some need a good ass chewin' (Malcolm Armstead) -- heck some need both (Nick Wiggins?). I guess you just gotta figure out what motivates them and go from there. And if they can't be motivated, it's time for them to find another school, no?
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
              I'm not sure if I like the hanging on the rim and jawing at the guy he just dunked on, but I would imagine HCGM will have that nipped in the bud.
              Did you notice that a good number of his blocks were picked up in play by teammates? The others were also "conrolled" blocks, but landed out-of-bounds. I don't recall a wasted swat into the fifth row (had there been any rows in the gym).
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                Did you notice that a good number of his blocks were picked up in play by teammates? The others were also "conrolled" blocks, but landed out-of-bounds. I don't recall a wasted swat into the fifth row (had there been any rows in the gym).
                The thing that stuck out to me was that he was able to move his feet well enough not to get beat on the drive and put himself in good position to make the block.

Those things rarely go hand in hand with a guy 6'10.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

I have loved sports all my life, but I never knew being a fan could be this much fun until these last few years as a Shocker basketball fan. There were some good times in prior administrations (and more pre-dating my existence), but boy, it is hard to imagine things humming along much better than this.

Our coach and these young men are such a joy. I am thankful and appreciative, as I'm sure everyone else is.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                    The thing that stuck out to me was that he was able to move his feet well enough not to get beat on the drive and put himself in good position to make the block.

Agreed. Footwork and hands were great to block shots w/o fouling.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

While a positive sign, it's important to consider he blocked a bunch of guys going for layups. Now there will be a lot more athleticism and some wing players are going to try to challenge him at the rim. Should be fun.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

I don't disagree, but I'd rather calm someone down than work to get them fired up.

Coach Linstead from Sunrise compared him to Paul Miller, but Paul never blocked shots or dunked like that.
                        He was probably basing the comparison on a couple of things.
                        1. Miller is 6'10'", Nurger is 6'10"
                        2, Miller is white, Nurger is white

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                          While a positive sign, it's important to consider he blocked a bunch of guys going for layups. Now there will be a lot more athleticism and some wing players are going to try to challenge him at the rim. Should be fun.
                          That's fair. It's also fair to consider that he (and the rest of the Shocker frontcourt) will have one of the best defensive backcourts in the country playing in front of them, so hopefully layups won't be a frequent occurrence to begin with.

Comment

One of the resons that backcourt is so good defensively is that they can take some chances defensively. The backcourt D relies on having a shot blocker handing out around the basket. Orukpe, Lufile, Coleby, and Early were pretty effective at that. We're getting a fresh batch of erasers at the gaol this year.
                            Last edited by Aargh; June 4, 2014, 09:51 PM.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              One of the resons that backcourt is so good defensively is that they can take some chances defensively. The backcourt D relies on having a shot blocker handing out around the basket. Orukpe, Lufile, Coleby, and Early were pretty effective at that. We're getting a fresh batch of erasers at the gaol this year.
                              Yep!
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                                He was probably basing the comparison on a couple of things.
                                1. Miller is 6'10'", Nurger is 6'10"
                                2, Miller is white, Nurger is white
                                And that he can step back and knock a few down. Miller didn't look to have as quick footwork though. This guy could really be special in a few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X