No announcement yet.

WSU -- Indiana State Postgame Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been trying to get this game out of my head all night. I tried to drown the memories of yesterdays game without much success and I ran out of beer. Did get very drunk though.

I then went on to rant about several things, but others have already went over those points and some did it many times better than I did. So I just deleted what I had written. I could point fingers at a lot of players or the coach or the refs or the vendors selling stale nachos. But what's the point outside of Matt and Ramon pretty much everyone else sucked. Two players played with heart. The others I just don't know.

I wouldn't be suprised if instead of 1 or 2 more new players we see 4 or 5 more new players.

Comment

I was looking forward to Seniors Night, but now, I don't know. What has happened to Phil's scoring, seems to have dropped off the end of the earth again?

We were doing good, then when they applied pressure, we looked like a Jr. High team. Marshall still has some coaching problems to solve, particularly in closing out a game. It seemed during that 3 minutes that ISU made up the 21 point difference, he could taken a time out and composed the team, especially for defense.

The question is: Are the players not paying attention to what he tells them, or are they, and it is not working, especially at critical points in the game?

Seems to me, that Turgeon also had a problem getting over the hump at the end of a game, and was out bench coached several times. Is Marshall getting outcoached? And just because something worked in the Big South, does not guarantee that it will work in the MVC, as he is finding out.

Comment

I don't know what to think, for the first time in my memory I have little regret at missing the Evansville game. A have regret but generally it would be something eating at me until the game is over. This time I have nothing eating at me. I sincerely hope this mental truama hasn't quelched my addiction. Oh well, time to set down and write next seasons SASO check, might need to kick in an extra c-note or something to compensate for my diminished regret at missing the UE game due to travel for work.

Keep the faith Shocker fans, this to shall pass. Their is a tribal saying among the Waziri which is very appropriate for HCGM's tenure here at our beloved alma mater "It is always darkest before the dawn"

Go Shocks!!!!
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Marshall did call a timeout during ISU's run and then I think we promptly turned the ball over and fouled.

Phil...

We need some scoring and leadership from you big guy! Please don't cash out your chips with games left to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9

I was looking forward to Seniors Night, but now, I don't know. What has happened to Phil's scoring, seems to have dropped off the end of the earth again?
            Just like last year with a different coach, but its coaching not the players.

Originally posted by Snapshot9
            Marshall still has some coaching problems to solve, particularly in closing out a game.
            Seems to me, that Turgeon also had a problem getting over the hump at the end of a game, and was out bench coached several times.
            Hmm, what in the world could be the common link between the two years?

Two years of the same problems, but we blame coaching. But we are Wichita State. We have been to a sweet 16 two years ago. So it can't be the players. It must be we have another coach who won't adjust. He'll just run the same man to man defense, won't press any, won't play any zone.

Comment

It must be we have another coach who won't adjust. He'll just run the same man to man defense, won't press any, won't play any zone.
              We press a lot considering how many guys we have suiting up and we get creamed playing zone. What else is there after man to man and zone, lol?...

Comment

jdmee: It isn't only the coaching but a coach has to accept some of the responsibility for these close losses after large leads. The players deserve much, but not all, of the criticism. I have no respect for a coach who blames the team and takes none of the blame for a poor season.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

316:

That's BUNK (to quote a coach people hate on here).

Coach has said repeatedly that they must not be doing a very good job coaching, because the players just don't seem to get it. Then they play 12 mins like the did, and it clicked. Then they folded. Coach didn't fold. They did. Not taking care of the ball, fouling, missing FT's down the stretch. Coach can't do anything about that. They shoot tons of FT's in practice, practice the press and how to break them, how to run the offense, etc.

He wasn't blaming them for a poor season, he blamed them for last night, and he was right.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                    316:

That's BUNK (to quote a coach people hate on here).

Coach has said repeatedly that they must not be doing a very good job coaching, because the players just don't seem to get it. Then they play 12 mins like the did, and it clicked. Then they folded. Coach didn't fold. They did. Not taking care of the ball, fouling, missing FT's down the stretch. Coach can't do anything about that. They shoot tons of FT's in practice, practice the press and how to break them, how to run the offense, etc.

He wasn't blaming them for a poor season, he blamed them for last night, and he was right.
                    Bingo... we have a winner! :good:
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Downtown Shocker Brown: So we agree that Marshall has some responsibility for the season.

With respect to this particular game, some coaches (e.g. Altman) would have been more active (e.g. tried different combinations) in trying to win. Each coach has his own style. I think Altman hates losing more than Marshall hates losing; just watch Dana on the sidelines.
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I agree there, but with only 8 scholly playing and 2 walk-ons, how many combinations are there?

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                          I agree there, but with only 8 scholly playing and 2 walk-ons, how many combinations are there?
                          Sounds like Drake's roster. Maybe you should ask Keno?

T

...8)

Comment

Ok, Cold. Just got off the phone with Keno.

He said that he uses a 9 man rotation, has mentally and physically tough guys who come off the bench and bust thier butt trying to earn more playing time. They all work together as a team, communicate well, and are up supporting each other at all times.

He says you and your hypothesis are just flat wrong. When you have 3 of your 4 bigs in foul trouble EVERY game, there are not many combinations you can use.

They, apparently, don't have that problem.

Comment

And the only reason Burley isn't in foul trouble is he doesn't play. Is he a big?

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                                Downtown Shocker Brown: So we agree that Marshall has some responsibility for the season.

With respect to this particular game, some coaches (e.g. Altman) would have been more active (e.g. tried different combinations) in trying to win. Each coach has his own style. I think Altman hates losing more than Marshall hates losing; just watch Dana on the sidelines.
                                This is so totally unfair. I have watched Dana on the sidelines (whine a lot). He is a good coach WHO HAS HAD THE SAME SYSTEM IN PLACE for however many years he has been at CU. His team knows his system and were recruited for his system. Most of our team was recruited for an entirely different system. MT had just as much trouble last year from Vegas on as Marshall is having this year -- the difference being that MT recruited all his team and when he couldn't right the ship and got a good offer to go elsewhere, took it. (And before we go there again, if I had been in his place I would probably have left too. I don't blame MT for leaving nor am I bashing him here.)

You say that ala Altman, Marshall should have "been more active (e.g. tried different combinations) in trying to win." For cryin' out loud man, what do you think the man has been doing all year long, twiddling his thumbs. Do you think he isn't "trying to win." I can't even begin to tell you at what degree of unfairness I think your remarks land.

And if you think Altman hates to lose more than Marshall, I invite YOU to really watch Marshall on the sidelines.

Comment

Working...
                                X