No announcement yet.

2014-15 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just want to put a plug in for my family since we are talking smokers. www.goodwinindustries.com
    Made up hwy 77 in burns, these are a favorite amongst the competition bbq world, and are used by your everyday joe as well as the likes of Mark Turgeon and Carl Brewer.

/sales pitch
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      I just want to put a plug in for my family since we are talking smokers. www.goodwinindustries.com
      Made up hwy 77 in burns, these are a favorite amongst the competition bbq world, and are used by your everyday joe as well as the likes of Mark Turgeon and Carl Brewer.

/sales pitch
      Looks like a good smoker. Have they done a custom WSU paint job? That would put them on the map here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        I'm thinking nearly every regular season game from New Year's Eve and on is above ADES' pay grade.
        Well then we need an AD with a new pay grade. Have you looked at this thing? We're playing someone named Loyola... Twice... And once at home!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
          Well then we need an AD with a new pay grade. Have you looked at this thing? We're playing someone named Loyola... Twice... And once at home!
          That is called "conference schedule" dude.
          Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
            Check your "meter".

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
              I am guessing president Bardo is a bit busy to take on the AD roll. I feel ya though.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Looks like a good smoker. Have they done a custom WSU paint job? That would put them on the map here.
                Not so far as paint, as the paint we use is some of the best on the market. I'm sure we could come up with a custom tag instead of the red tag though. But we have been "on the map" for over 20 years. Used to be the Good-One, but we went through some changes and are now The Smoker by Goodwin Industries.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Not so far as paint, as the paint we use is some of the best on the market. I'm sure we could come up with a custom tag instead of the red tag though. But we have been "on the map" for over 20 years. Used to be the Good-One, but we went through some changes and are now The Smoker by Goodwin Industries.
                  Doesn't look like you guys are necessarily a direct competitor to most of the models sold by say Traeger or Yoder. It looks like all of your models are the old school, purist type of smoker where fuel, air, and temperature need to be monitored fairly closely. Most of the Traegers or Yoders are the "cheater" self-maintaining type with the thermostat, blower, and pellet bin with feeder (although Yoder certainly offers the old school models). Not saying either side of the argument needs to be punished, just pointing out the obvious I guess.

Not an expert here by any means (I am a nerd for proper grilling though) but when I finally drop the hammer on a smoker it will be a Yoder like I posted above. I would already have it, but it is not exactly a purchase you just decide you want one day and pull out pocket change for.

Comment

Didn't mean to imply you were some sort of upstart, justing pointing out that the discussion was more about custom shocker paint jobs and not necessarily the smokers themselves. Custom jobs, like these paintjobs, just natually attract more attention. These are the things that can put you over the top if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                      That is called "tongue in cheek" dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by SirShoxAlot View Post
                        That is called "tongue in cheek" dude.
                        I have to admit that was one smooth post. Kudos to Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          Doesn't look like you guys are necessarily a direct competitor to most of the models sold by say Traeger or Yoder. It looks like all of your models are the old school, purist type of smoker where fuel, air, and temperature need to be monitored fairly closely. Most of the Traegers or Yoders are the "cheater" self-maintaining type with the thermostat, blower, and pellet bin with feeder (although Yoder certainly offers the old school models). Not saying either side of the argument needs to be punished, just pointing out the obvious I guess.

Not an expert here by any means (I am a nerd for proper grilling though) but when I finally drop the hammer on a smoker it will be a Yoder like I posted above. I would already have it, but it is not exactly a purchase you just decide you want one day and pull out pocket change for.
                          Actually Yoder is our main competitor. Our smokers are easy to use because of a damper feature that regulates the heat and keeps it even from top to bottom, front to back. I regularly put a ham or pork loin on and then go to class, leaving the meat to cook. No worries. Or I can get a full nights sleep if I am doing a large cook overnight. Ever heard of Smoke N Fire? Their house brand smoker/grill, Xtreme BBQ is ours that we tagged for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            I have to admit that was one smooth post. Kudos to Bob.
                            Bob?

Comment

Actually Yoder is our main competitor. Our smokers are easy to use because of a damper feature that regulates the heat and keeps it even from top to bottom, front to back. I regularly put a ham or pork loin on and then go to class, leaving the meat to cook. No worries. Or I can get a full nights sleep if I am doing a large cook overnight. Ever heard of Smoke N Fire? Their house brand smoker/grill, Xtreme BBQ is ours that we tagged for them.
                              Sure. What I meant was your stick smoker is not a comparable to the Yoder pellet smoker I posted a picture of earlier (most of Yoder's business are pellet grills). Aren't stick smoker people to pellet smoker people sort of like democrats to republicans?

Yeah, I know of Smoke n Fire. I've been there a couple of times. They have a huge selection, but they sort of feel like the Walmart of BBQ stores in that they will put anything on their shelves. Feels like they have so much stuff that you sort of have to drill down to find the good stuff. At ATBBQ here in Wichita it feels like they have already done the drilling down for you, if you know what I mean. The guy that runs ATBBQ is an extremely astute businessman, and it shows with the polish of his operation. SnF on the other hand feels like a BBQ garage sale with a roof.

Of course none of this is a commentary at all on the quality of your smoker. I'm sure it is great. From your perspective a business relationship with SnF is a nice arrow to have in your quiver, and I'm sure SnF did plenty of due diligence before they selected your product to represent such a high profile offering as smokers are to these sort of shops.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                                Sure. What I meant was your stick smoker is not a comparable to the Yoder pellet smoker I posted a picture of earlier (most of Yoder's business are pellet grills). Aren't stick smoker people to pellet smoker people sort of like democrats to republicans?

Yeah, I know of Smoke n Fire. I've been there a couple of times. They have a huge selection, but they sort of feel like the Walmart of BBQ stores in that they will put anything on their shelves. Feels like they have so much stuff that you sort of have to drill down to find the good stuff. At ATBBQ here in Wichita it feels like they have already done the drilling down for you, if you know what I mean. The guy that runs ATBBQ is an extremely astute businessman, and it shows with the polish of his operation. SnF on the other hand feels like a BBQ garage sale with a roof.

Of course none of this is a commentary at all on the quality of your smoker. I'm sure it is great. From your perspective a business relationship with SnF is a nice arrow to have in your quiver, and I'm sure SnF did plenty of due diligence before they selected your product to represent such a high profile offering as smokers are to these sort of shops.
                                Actually, its not so much as white and black as it is purism. The people that look upon pellet smokers with disdain do so because its an automated process. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The automated process of a pellet smoker makes it very easy for the less cooking-inclined people to make great food and jump right into BBQing, but you are at the mercy of the pellet companies. With charcoal, there is more of a learning curve, but you can manipulate the smoker to do anything form a 90 degree cold cheese smoke to a five hour 250 degree pork loin.

Sorry for side-tracking the thread. If anybody has questions regarding any and all smoking processes, PM me. I am familiar with it all, and competition BBQ is something I love.

Comment

Working...
                                X