Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Year

It took a game for the decades to knock us out this year, but WE AREN'T DONE. This isn't over, not by a longshot. This season was a new experience for Shocker fans and players, a great feat that may never be matched again, but next year wins and losses will only be side concern to a much bigger picture. The goal next year is a title, and I'm proud to say that while we lost today we proved we were capable of winning it all.

We are going to miss the heck out of Early. He'll be playing the NBA next season and no team could lose a player like Early without problems. But I have faith that our coaches have selected fine young MEN that are up to the challenge, guys like Eric Hamilton, Zach Brown, and Rashard Kelly. We never really know what we have only it is gone, but Early today showed us why he is going to go in the rafters. This isn't to say we won't miss Lufile, Coleby, or Wiggins as well, but Early showed us all today just how special he is.

But we bring back some pretty special players as well. Fred, Ron, and Tekele played this season with a poise rarely felt by sophomores and juniors, but next year they'll be even better. Can you imagine that? Better than what we saw this year. And we'll have Holland and Henderson off the bench to spell Van Vleet without Ron and Tekele having to stay in the game. These guys know what it will take, and they are up to the challenge.

So Shockernet, I want to say it has been an amazing season but we aren't done yet by a longshot. Now our goal isn't 40-0, it is 6-0, and I can only say that this is going to be the longest offseason in my lifetime. I'm proud of our team, our coach, and our university and even though I'm sad that we lost I'm ecstatic at the shape of our program going forward.

GM will use this loss as extra motivation. Our defense will be even better and even more bloodthirsty.

Comment

We have a bunch returning. From a statistical standpoint, here is a breakdown of "returning" players and those "leaving"

Returning Leaving
      FGM 59.5% 40.5%
      FGA 60.1% 39.9%
      FGM 64.8% 35.2%
      FGA 63.1% 36.9%
      FTM 60.2% 39.8%
      FTA 59.0% 41.0%
      OFF 53.1% 46.9%
      DEF 54.4% 45.6%
      TOT 54.0% 46.0%
      PF 57.9% 42.1%
      PTS 60.2% 39.8%
      AST 87.6% 12.4%
      TO 54.8% 45.2%
      BLK 39.7% 60.3%
      STL 79.4% 20.6%
      MIN 64.1% 35.9%
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Personally, I'm VERY excited about our incoming class next year. I like Holland, but I'm not sure where he fits in on next years team (much like Green this year). Henderson is a big talented guard that should be able to spell FVV in the fall. Brown is a big and talented wing guard. Kelly is a big and talented wing forward. I expect big things from these 6-7 freshman!!! Morris is a tank…that explodes off the ground. I think he will get it sooner than later, but not sure if it will be next year or the year after. Bush fills an important role for this team (similar to Henderson). Hamilton is going to be an absolute stud!!! Just not yet. One more is on the way to play with the returning guard trio and Carter!!!
        Livin the dream

Comment

I'm excited that we return THE best back court in the NCAA next year, and the best 2-guard tandem the next two.

Comment

I expect Evan to have a rebound year next season. Just a gut feelng he will be more offensively minded.

Comment

I expect Ron to have a breakout year. He hasn't been completely healthy either of the past two seasons and I'm looking forward to seeing him elevate his game.

Comment

next years starting five...Van Vleet, Baker, Cotton, Carter, and Shaq...book it

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                  I'm feeling Kelly as a part time starter at the 4 next year.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

I love the fact we have some post grad freshman coming in. That extra year is huge. And in Zach's case he played this year learning defense in a manner much closer to what marshall expects compared to most high school programs.

Comment

If carter starts at the 4 we lose a lot in terms of stretching the d. I hope one of the new guys can bring that element. It is no coincidence that the last two years we have done amazing things. Early could make it happen when we needed it the most.
                      “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                      -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                        If carter starts at the 4 we lose a lot in terms of stretching the d. I hope one of the new guys can bring that element. It is no coincidence that the last two years we have done amazing things. Early could make it happen when we needed it the most.
                        I expect Carter to fill a similar roll to Carl Hall when he was our starting 4.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                          Next years starting five: KCSHOX, J4HP, Fever, Shertz, and BCS transfer HenryMuto....
                          ;-)
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                            I think Shaq is more of a 4 than a 5. In his videos he was shooting some jump shots and for a big fellow, he runs and dribbles well. I'm sure they both can play either position, however.

Comment

The scuttlebutt early in the year on Shaq was his effort; even to the extent that Fred made his "I wouldn't want to be your teammate the way you're playing today." Has that been remedied?

What is the "eye-ball" analysis on Holland. We KNOW that he can leap over tall buildings; he had the reputation of being a shooter. Every time I watch him in pre-game warmup, I am disappointed in his shooting. Is it just that he knows he is not going to play so isn't conecntrating then; am I looking at the wrong times? How does he do defensively?
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                              X