This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawmaker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lawmaker wrote:
    Marshall is getting 750k plus bonuses.......in wichita dollars that is huge!!!!

By your standard, Baylor overpaid Scott Drew since he went 8-21 in his first season and 9-19 in his second.

If you are going to judge whether a coach is good based on how they do when they inherit the problems of their predecessor and have yet to get their own recruits, I bet you were one unhappy Baylor fan.

Dude, Baylor had a player on the team that killed another player. R you comparing those two teams? Come on.....

I have the prediction thread saved from the beginning of the year...Do not make me bust that out>
    A. I never said that the situations were the same, I merely said that a coach's first year cannot be the predictor of success because they inherit situations not of their own making and they don't have a team built on their recruits.

B. In regard to how Baylor and WSU compare:

1. While WSU's situation was hardly as bad as Baylor's, we have had a recruit die, multiple recruits pull out of their commitments, and multiple players miss a lot of time or the full season with injury (including Matt, who was the player we could least afford to lose because he is our only true point guard). I would say that, yes, that qualifies as a tough situation.

2. The season isn't over and WSU has more wins than Baylor had in Drew's first season, and has been right on the cusp of a number of other wins.

C. What does bringing out preseason fan expectations prove? The only thing it might prove is that fans had too high expectations, but that would say nothing about whether Marshall is a good coach. In any case, the number of injuries and the non arrival of Orukpe impact whether those preseason expectations could be met. We don't know what this team could have done if it was healthy.

D. The fact that Marshall makes more that Drew is not the point. The point is that if, over the long term, the coach turns out to be the right hire, he is worth the money. Drew is clearly worth the money Baylor is paying him (and to say otherwise early in his tenure would have been wrong). If Marshall has long term success, he will clearly be worth the money we paid to secure hiring him. It is far too early to say he is worth the money, but it is also far too early to say that he isn't. One bad season a bad hire does not make.

(By the way, are you going to be calling to Art Briles' head for getting paid $1.8 million per year to coach the Baylor football team if they have yet another losing season?)
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

So tha's how it is. A fan of convenience. The old "We've had one pretty good year in the last 50 and now I will proceed to gloat about it, while pretending that we were always that good."

Comment

Everyone should learn learn from experience not to be boastful when times are good. All good things come to an end, and what goes around comes around - then you end up eating crow. Appreciate the good times while you have them, but I wouldn't be rubbing any noses in it. :roll:

Comment

Wow...

1. First of all, I am glad you follow Baylor sports

2. Is next year a rebuiding year for WSU?

3. It is always next year for WSU. Peeps always say well wait until next year we have..."xi, ix gs," But next year........

4.Mo valley will always be 2nd tier...

Comment

Clearly why the first place team from the MVC should've beat the first place team from the Big XII last year, and why the 2nd place team from the Big XII lost to the 5th place team from the MVC 2 years ago?

Comment

Lawmaker:
              Just keep diggning that hole; here's a bigger shovel for you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For real, what goes around comes around. :yes:

Comment

Mo valley, second tier?

What are you, 15?

I'm 19, and can still recognize the heritage of the Missouri Valley conference in the history of college basketball. The Valley is possibly one of the toughest basketball conferences historically.

Just because we didn't sell our souls at the altar of college football does not mean the Mo Valley is second tier. By the way, the entire staff of one of the most successful baseball programs ever would like to have a word with you, and they brought bats and cleats...
                Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                Students > Alumni
                If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Did you use the word..should've

ha ha

and then you are bringing up something from 2 years ago

wow...

issues?

Comment

Well, I don't have 482 posts on a Baylor message board.

Comment

Anyways, I think I'm gonna stop "debating" with this guy and just follow this advice:

Comment

Lawmaker, if you're becoming a Big 12 apologist, shame on you based on a one-year slice of history. That means your experience on this board will become more and more uncomfortable until you finally leave.

Is that your desire?

Comment

Wow...

3. It is always next year for WSU. Peeps always say well wait until next year we have..."xi, ix gs," But next year........

1. Some of us take the time to follow sports in a general way (and know how to use google). I don't follow Baylor, but I keep as well informed about college sports as I can. I would hope that others (cough, cough) try to be well informed themselves before spouting off and looking foolish.

2. Yes.

3. Did you miss the Valley title and Sweet 16 a couple years back (like I said, spouting off when the facts aren't in one's favor never looks good). BTW, isn't it odd that a Baylor fan would make this particular critique?

4. Even assuming that is true, what does it have to do with whether Marshall is a good coach worth the money WSU is paying him? If anything, doesn't the fact that WSU can afford a lot more for a basketball coach than Baylor say the opposite about who has the top tier program?
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Wow...

Hahaha!!! Just the same for Baylor. You guys just happen to be a decent team this year. The only difference between us is we were decent for 3 or 4 years before we made the NCAA Tournament.

It's okay. You can just pride yourself on the fact that Baylor is that one team from the Big XII.
                            Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Mo valley, second tier?

What are you, 15?

I'm 19, and can still recognize the heritage of the Missouri Valley conference in the history of college basketball. The Valley is possibly one of the toughest basketball conferences historically.

Just because we didn't sell our souls at the altar of college football does not mean the Mo Valley is second tier. By the way, the entire staff of one of the most successful baseball programs ever would like to have a word with you, and they brought bats and cleats...

I will not even comment on this statment "The Valley is possibly one of the toughest basketball conferences historically. "

Last time WSU was in the CWS?

Comment

Mo valley, second tier?

What are you, 15?

I will not even comment on this statment "The Valley is possibly one of the toughest basketball conferences historically. "

Last time WSU was in the CWS?

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Working...
                                X