Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it feel like to be Mark Turgeon right now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it feel like to be Mark Turgeon right now...

Abandoned us for a better conference/recruits/schedule...

Now we have a final four/wooden top 10(a sophomore)/and so on...

And he has a job at an east coast school who likely wont make the tournament again...

Turgeon left us so he wouldn't have to play in the NIT...

And look at him now..

I know there are mixed opinions and what not about MT... But i've always thought while he gave us one great season.. the way he left us after the whole, IM STAYING.... was unacceptable... and that he was always just using us...

Karma's a B****
    "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
    CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Turgeon lost his assistants at WSU and got out of Dodge.
    I really don't think he would have improved at WSU.
    I think he wishes he would have stayed, but I'm glad he didn't, and I wish him a lot of success wherever he coaches.

Comment

The "I'm staying" bit was after the Sweet 16 and I never interpreted it as meaning anything beyond that offseason. Turgeon knew he couldn't sustain success and wanted a payday and a "promotion" while he still had the chance, can't fault him for being smart. I'm sure he wishes he stayed at Wichita State and I bet he wishes he stayed at Texas A&M.

Comment

Turgeon showed up when the basketball program was a mess, improved the team and got us to a Sweet Sixteen. Without Turgeon, Gregg Marshall never comes here. There was no "abandoning," he decided going to Texas A&M was a better career move (and was most likely heavily influenced by his mentor as well). As far as the "I'm staying", someone that knows more can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he had every intention of taking the Oklahoma job before changing his mind throughout the day.

Sure, Turgeon didn't do everything right. Taking a recruit to Texas A&M with him was a mistake, and maybe he was too down on this program at times. But he sure as hell deserves some respect for coming in here and turning this program around. We're in possibly the best era that this program has ever had. It's a time to enjoy the moment and love all the attention that WSU is getting; not to be bitter and hateful.

Comment

RipEmUpShox: Why bash someone that improved the program ?

Comment

No need to kick a man while he is down. Turgeon pioneered this program so that it can get to this point. Without him we probably wouldn't be where we are now. He may have regrets. No need to rub it in his face.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
              Turgeon showed up when the basketball program was a mess, improved the team and got us to a Sweet Sixteen. Without Turgeon, Gregg Marshall never comes here. There was no "abandoning," he decided going to Texas A&M was a better career move (and was most likely heavily influenced by his mentor as well). As far as the "I'm staying", someone that knows more can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he had every intention of taking the Oklahoma job before changing his mind throughout the day.

Sure, Turgeon didn't do everything right. Taking a recruit to Texas A&M with him was a mistake, and maybe he was too down on this program at times. But he sure as hell deserves some respect for coming in here and turning this program around. We're in possibly the best era that this program has ever had. It's a time to enjoy the moment and love all the attention that WSU is getting; not to be bitter and hateful.
              This. Mark will be just fine if the good folks at Maryland give him time. He was always a "at this level" kind of guy and would never have been completely happy here. Marshall, on the other hand, now seems fine with it. And you have to remember, the cupboard was pretty bare when Mark left and he had missed on a couple of recruiting classes. I think he felt things were not going to get much better very quickly. I believe Marshall even said he wondered what he had gotten himself into after he got here and saw just how little we had. I thank the stars he was patient and gave his system time. He has all his own players now and look what he has done.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post

This is a classic post. Coach Turgeon ,as stated, moved the program up in large ways. I HOPE he has warm thoughts about what is happening now!

Comment

Turgeon had one hell of a rebuild job here when he arrived. He did a great job at that and took us to another level. You have to understand that with his coaching pedigree he knows nothing different than to do what he did. Look at Larry Brown to this day. While I'm 100000000% happy with where we are today I also know that we probably wouldn't have ever been able to hire HCGM without Turgeon doing what he did.

Now lets crown HCGM with his 3rd Valley Coach of the Year award in a row today and continue the push towards perfection!

Comment

I have so much respect for Turgeon.....he helped WSU build what we have today. Without Turgeon...there is no Coach Marshall....PERIOD.

I would imagine he is looking back on his time here with great memories and a satisfaction in knowing he was a huge part in building this program!

Comment

Turgeon certainly pointed this program in the right direction but his skill sets as a coach were not conducive to long term success at a program like WSU. He is a good X's and O's coach but I don't think he has what it takes to consistently recruit to this type of program, which is made obvious by him missing on several classes before he left. He isn't a roll your shirt sleeves up and get dirty kind of coach. I always felt like he'd be most effective long term at a program with a common household name in a larger conference that is easier to recruit to. I too was pissed at how he left our program but I also realized that he had reached the pinnacle of what he could do here. Plus listening to him whine was tiring. I'm not willing to say that because of him we were able to get HCGM because I don't think guys make career coaching decisions based on one sweet sixteen run, but MT was certainly better than what we had and he definitely helped to right the ship. Unfortunately, my memories of MT were of him making excuses for why he couldn't recruit well here and how difficult it was to schedule good schools to play. I don't think any of that has changed BUT the attitude of the coach we now have is clearly different. With that said, I don't think it's even worth looking back at this point. We have 9 more games to win!
                      "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

We are ranked #2 in the county.

We are undefeated.

For the very first time in quite a while we not only don't have to sweat being in the NCAA tournament but we will most likely get a #1 slot if we win the MVC tournament.

Our coach should get the national Coach of the Year award.

Our players have already gotten significant recognition and awards and even more are likely to come.

And amongst all of this, someone has to go years back and and try and stir up something NEGATIVE.

Get a life!

Comment

During our F4 run Turg sported Shocker attire and talked us up big. Nough said.
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Maryland is now moving out of the ACC

Comment

Turgeon is half the coach that Marshall is.

Almost literally:
                              Maryland - 16 wins
                              Wichita State - 31 wins

Comment

Working...
                              X