#2 Wichita State vs. Southern Illinois OFFICIAL Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    our opponents recently have all stated that their gameplan is too "out tough" wichita state. To beat us, they have to out rebound us, have more steals, blocks, etc. Because they don't have the size or athletic advantage, they have to resort to grabbing, pushing, pulling, hacking, etc. Watch the trend. Everyone we play complains that we get the benefit of the officials and that there's a clear foul disparity. It's not rocket science. They are trying to win by any means necessary and they refs can't call them all. The teams we play in the NCAA will play us straight up and that's when we really shine.
    Interesting points. I also wonder what percentage of fouls against us result in us going to the FT line as compared to other teams percentage of going to the line.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• In the last 5 games, the free throw attempts have favored WSU 141 to 100. In the same span, WSU has committed 83 fouls vs 113 of our oppoenents. The biggest disparity in that span was against Evansville (they committed 10 more fouls and sent us to the line 15 more times). They are clearly the biggest muggers in the league (at least against us). of course, all those teams probably blamed the refs for their shortcomings.

Comment

• When you have Early and Carter (and Cotton, to an extent) on the same team, the opponent is going to wrack up some fouls. And since we're always in the lead near the end, some of that foul disparity is due to late-game situations.

Comment

• I can see that.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
            Nick has become a solid contributor. All I want next is for him to hit the gym to work on his free throws.
            That is the strangest thing -- how anyone who shoots the ball as smoothly and well as Wiggins does could be a poor foul shooter is beyond me. Of course, the sample size is fairly small, just 54 FTs all season. But he genuinely does seem to be a mediocre to poor foul shooter. And it's not a family thing; Andrew, whose poor FT shooting (8-15) that night helped doom the Chickenhawks against K-State, hits 75%, and Nick's had several more years to practice than little bro has. Dad Mitchell also was a 75+% shooter in the NBA.

It's just weird, and I wish he'd find a way to fix it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
              That is the strangest thing -- how anyone who shoots the ball as smoothly and well as Wiggins does could be a poor foul shooter is beyond me. Of course, the sample size is fairly small, just 54 FTs all season. But he genuinely does seem to be a mediocre to poor foul shooter. And it's not a family thing; Andrew, whose poor FT shooting (8-15) that night helped doom the Chickenhawks against K-State, hits 75%, and Nick's had several more years to practice than little bro has. Dad Mitchell also was a 75+% shooter in the NBA.

With his athleticism and length Nick could get to the line a lot if he wanted to. However, at this point I think I just as soon he not get fouled. Makes it difficult to put him on the floor in a close late game situation as well. I agree, it just seems odd that he is not a better FT shooter. Personally, I think he has a much better looking stroke than Cle. However, Cle pretty much repeats his stroke time after time after time with very little variation and shoots a fantastic %.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 13, 2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

His dad said that every time he misses a free throw, he's leaning back on his shot. See article in today's Eagle.

Comment

• Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
                  His dad said that every time he misses a free throw, he's leaning back on his shot. See article in today's Eagle.
                  Interesting observation.

Wiggins is 7 for his last 14 from 3ptr. I would like to know how many of those 7 misses are on plays when he catches the ball in front of the 3pt line and drifts back to shoot. I would guess at least 4-5, and that perhaps only 0-1 of the makes are of that variety. This is a recent observation, and I have not had enough time yet to determine if it is a timing issue with the plays, or what else might be going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
                    I told the Mrs. the same thing during the game Tuesday night. I believe he hit his second attempt each time, however appeared to be shooting from his heels when he 'bricked' the first attempt. Nick, it can be corrected, get in the gym!!
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                    X