No announcement yet.

2-11-08 Coaches Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another option for those without big homes. Summer used to be a good time to do the dinner. You might not get the whole team but it is a more relaxed time with no classes and practices. My parents used to have some of the football team over, usally the running backs. Coach Jefferies made one appearance. Always remember him as a very nice man.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Originally posted by WuDrWu
      Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      I found it interesting that I could invite players to my house for Dinner once or twice a year without violating NCAA rules.

In fact, it sounded like HCGM was encouraging this.

He said this has to be documented and can not be done frequently (once or twice a year? - no specifics on this). I would check with the basketball office before I did this, but it sounds like fun.

HCGM did say that if you invite them over that they will eat as long as the food lasts.

I have done this and I would suggest that any of you that can do this contact DOBO DO and set this up. You will NEVER have a better time.

2 things you need to know. 1)Big screen with gaming attached. 2) More food than you can possibly imagine.

You will regret nothing. It is a blast and the kids and coaches are great.

Occassional means a couple of times a year.

You have to have them over to your home or it qualifies as something else.

I mentioned over the summer about the need for a training table. It really is a really important thing but it kind of has to be done for the entire department, not just one program.

If you can pull it off, do it. I basically plan it as one of the family vacations at this point. It's that much fun, at least to me.
      Can you invite the entire team over or do are you limited to a certain number per occassion?
      It is the event, not the number in attendance that is the issue.

You invite the entire team but I think that it is simply a courtesy to invite the coaches and their families, but that's just my opinion only.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker
        Just another option for those without big homes. Summer used to be a good time to do the dinner. You might not get the whole team but it is a more relaxed time with no classes and practices. My parents used to have some of the football team over, usally the running backs. Coach Jefferies made one appearance. Always remember him as a very nice man.
        Summer is a great time but I think the rules have changed, just make sure you go through Dominic and he'll coordinate everything.

This probably isn't needed, but DO NOT contact the players individually for the dinners. That is the biggest of no nos.

Again, if you have the wherewithall to pull this off I really suggest you do......it's a ton of fun.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

So is what your saying DrWu is you don't just have one guy over but the whole team?

Comment

You are absolutely forbidden to have one player over. You have the entire team over.....I don't why you would even consider not inviting some members of the team, however sometimes a player will have a conflict with schedule and won't be able to make it, just so you know.

Just a warning for everyone over the age of 30. While I have only encountered the most polite young men you could imagine, please remember that these are 17-22 year old athletes, some from backgrounds where they have not been as fortunate as you or I may have been. They are kids and they may or may not exhibit the maturity that you might expect. I am just saying they are kids and remember that.

Comment

Good info, Doc. I think it was necessary to clarify that you do not invite an individual player over.

In fact, I think may this should be clarified to a broader audience, perhaps on HCGM's next radio show.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                huh, can't get it to play
                Move the slider to the right about an inch or two.

Move it to the right, until you get audio.

Then move the slider back to the left to find the beginning of the show.

You will have to play with it, right and left, but it is not hard to hone in on the beginning of the show.

Or you can wait 10 minutes or so, until the audio begins. Not recommended by me.

Comment

Coach at one point said he hoped Hatch would bring his wife to Wichita.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
                    Originally posted by WuDrWu
                    Originally posted by melcong4
                    The coaches can come eat, too?? This sounds like a really cool idea. If the coach's are invited, do they usually come???
                    It all depends on the schedules. You have to realize these guys work 12-16 hours a day - a lot. I will say that if they can, they will but remember they have families too so if you really want them there be sure to invite spouses and kids.
                    This sounds really cool. In fact, I am going to try to set this up. I have a big screen with tons of video games and will probably order barbeque from two brothers (so they can bulk up of course). Can anyone give me some contact information to call the DOBO?
                    Invite me, you buy the meat and I'll cook it up good

Comment

The Aggie guy, who called in and ask Coach Marshall to comment on the state of the Aggie program under Coach Turgeon, was a moron. I was embarrassed for him.

Sometimes, it seems Coach Marshall takes indirect shots at Coach Turgeon. Am I out of whack on this notion?

As an example, when Coach Marshall talked about pick-up basketball, work-out attendance, weight room attendance and the like, he contrasted his more demanding approach to that of the previous coaching staff.

I am sure glad I do not have to live with Dennis. I suppose Dennis is glad he doesn't have to live with me.

He was pretty effusive in his praise about Aaron Ellis. Coach really wanted to redshirt Aaron.

I don't think we will be seeing too much of Wendell on the court for the rest of the year. I suspect Coach is going with 8 guys the rest of the way with a some minor exception here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                        I don't think we will be seeing too much of Wendell on the court for the rest of the year. I suspect Coach is going with 8 guys the rest of the way with a some minor exception here and there.
                        It looks like Marshall has figured out that Lance Harris has some high reward, albeit with a little higher risk. With Preadom, you get a little less risk, but much less reward.

Harris offers more speed, more quickness and is a threat to actually put the ball in the basket.

Preadom can offer a few minutes at PG that Harris can't. But with Braeuer back and Mekel able to backup the point, I only see Preadom getting minutes if our guards get into foul trouble.

Comment

The Aggie guy, who called in and ask Coach Marshall to comment on the state of the Aggie program under Coach Turgeon, was a moron. I was embarrassed for him.
                          LMAO I listened and was like "Is Ricky hearing this?

Sometimes, it seems Coach Marshall takes indirect shots at Coach Turgeon. Am I out of whack on this notion?
                          My father says the same thing. I myself feel the same thing. I dont really see him doing it as disrespect but more of "im the new hotness" kind of way

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                            It looks like Marshall has figured out that Lance Harris some high reward, albeit with a little higher risk. With Preadom, you get a little less risk, but much less reward.

Harris offers more speed, more quickness and is a threat to actually put the ball in the basket.

Preadom can offer a few minutes at PG that Harris can't. But with Braeuer back and Mekel able to backup the point, I only see Preadom getting minutes if our guards get into foul trouble.
                            Everyone talks about WP's solid D. I'm not sure it's any better than what LH brings to the table.

I wonder if coach is trying to send a clear signal to WP and force his hand heading into next season. I mean what would it say if he hardly ever sees the court for the remainder of the season?

Comment

I think the only advantage Wendell has over Lance is perhaps physical strength. Lance perhaps compensates by being quicker, but Lance is of realtively slight build which hurts him at times.

The thing lately that has set Lance apart to me, in addition to him being more of an actual offensive threat, is that the guy is hustling his butt off when he gets a chance to play. I think Lance simply wants it more than Wendell at this point.

Comment

LH > WP.

Cold, hard fact.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X