Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2-11-08 Coaches Show

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2-11-08 Coaches Show

    That was a great show

    Coach touched on everything from players diets and the obligatory recruit question.

    Lowlights

    Dennis - He asked coach how many recruits would realistically help next year.

    Dennis I ASM will answer for you.

    ALL OF THEM. Thats 4 healthy bodies. Duh

    Last lowlight was when some guy called at the end and asked why Wendell didnt play.
    Now IMO thats a decent question but the guy seemed to have an attitude about it.
    Coach gave a great answer and I quote "Who did you want to see sit"

  • #2
    This was one of the better coaches shows. I have listen to most of them this year. I like hearing about stuff behind the scenes - like the weight program and even about the food that the players eat. I wonder why the freshman don't live in the dorm for the first year. They would have a better variety of food available. Do other schools have a athletic dorm? Does any know?[/code]

    Comment


    • #3
      I liked when Gregg asked the guys name at the end. It was if he was saying to himself "what is your name again, knucklehead? I want to make sure I jot it down so I don't waste time with you in the future."


      It wasn't even a question really....more of a smart ass comment.


      Gregg put him in his place, nevertheless.

      Comment


      • #4
        I found it interesting that I could invite players to my house for Dinner once or twice a year without violating NCAA rules.

        In fact, it sounded like HCGM was encouraging this.

        He said this has to be documented and can not be done frequently (once or twice a year? - no specifics on this). I would check with the basketball office before I did this, but it sounds like fun.

        HCGM did say that if you invite them over that they will eat as long as the food lasts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Coach Marshall said that when he got the job there was a player still in the program that he worked with one time for 45 minutes and told him he was going to do another 45 minutes a couple of days later. This player said he wasn't going to be able to make the next workout, that he had some academic work he needed to take care of. Coach said that was something the player had been allowed to do in the past.

          Coach told him that's not the way it's going to work. Coach basically said 2 hours of the week are for workouts with him and the player would have to take care of his academic work on the remaining 166 hours of the week. This player evidentally didn't agree and didn't stay with the program.

          Does anyone know who this player was?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by WeWillShockU
            This was one of the better coaches shows. I have listen to most of them this year. I like hearing about stuff behind the scenes - like the weight program and even about the food that the players eat. I wonder why the freshman don't live in the dorm for the first year. They would have a better variety of food available. Do other schools have a athletic dorm? Does any know?[/code]
            My daughter lived in a dorm her 1st year at WSU. Absolutely refused to eat the dorm food.

            That was 15 years ago so things may have changed.

            Coach did say they had a training table 5 nights a week and that he started that at the beginning of the school year instead of at the beginning of the season as had be done previously.

            Interesting that this was something he was very concerned with when he was hired. Shows how thorough he is.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 1979Shocker
              Coach Marshall said that when he got the job there was a player still in the program that he worked with one time for 45 minutes and told him he was going to do another 45 minutes a couple of days later. This player said he wasn't going to be able to make the next workout, that he had some academic work he needed to take care of. Coach said that was something the player had been allowed to do in the past.

              Coach told him that's not the way it's going to work. Coach basically said 2 hours of the week are for workouts with him and the player would have to take care of his academic work on the remaining 166 hours of the week. This player evidentally didn't agree and didn't stay with the program.

              Does anyone know who this player was?
              I have a pretty good idea, but i think it may go against posting guidelines to say it on here. But it not real hard to guess on which player it is.
              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

              Comment


              • #8
                Another thing that coach mentioned on the show when they were talking about diets and meals is that anyone could have a player over for a meal occasionally, but it all had to be documented. The key word being "occasionally". In other words, you couldn't have a player over for a meal 3 times a week.

                Oops. Didn't read 1972Shocker's comments on this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Early in the interview coach talked about the Creighton game and mentioned that we were not as well coached in the end of that game among many other reasons for the Creighton comeback. That was all I've been looking for in my posts about the coach dogging the players and blaming the talent in the postgames.

                  I don't pretend to know enough about basketball to know if coaching was the issue down the stretch. It might have been talent, or officiating, or all of the above. Regardless, it was nice to hear coach state that coaching has a role to play in our losses. Like any good executive, he should take the blame for the failures and share the recognition for his successes. Turgeon probably took this concept too far to the extreme.

                  I'm feeling good about the program and looking forward to the rest of this year and next year.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by WuDrWu
                    I liked when Gregg asked the guys name at the end. It was if he was saying to himself "what is your name again, knucklehead? I want to make sure I jot it down so I don't waste time with you in the future."


                    It wasn't even a question really....more of a smart ass comment.


                    Gregg put him in his place, nevertheless.
                    HCGM and I had a talk about this specific caller and i told him "Look, what you need to say in the future is send Jim (Schaus) a copy of your coaching resume and if he wants you coaching and playing Wendell well I will watch from the couch!"
                    Anyway, this guy sees Preadom for 1 night a week on game night (and not very much there if I might add) and Gregg has put time and energy into this guy so who do you think is the most qualified to make a decision about who plays? Random Dean from the street or the GREAT HCGM!
                    Coach handled it pretty well and I thought it was a great show. Did anyone else notcice the trick question about Texas A&M?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                      I found it interesting that I could invite players to my house for Dinner once or twice a year without violating NCAA rules.

                      In fact, it sounded like HCGM was encouraging this.

                      He said this has to be documented and can not be done frequently (once or twice a year? - no specifics on this). I would check with the basketball office before I did this, but it sounds like fun.

                      HCGM did say that if you invite them over that they will eat as long as the food lasts.
                      Has this always been allowed? I have never heard of it before and was around the program for a couple of years. I could see how it could get abused, but on the other hand, if someone wants to cook for the guys then I say go for it. It couldn't hurt to get some home cookin' every once in a while. Plus it is probably tax deductible and helps out the program from having to work out finding places every night for the players to eat at. Plus it appears that Ellis could really use a couple pounds of beef every now and then too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by newshock1234
                        Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                        Coach Marshall said that when he got the job there was a player still in the program that he worked with one time for 45 minutes and told him he was going to do another 45 minutes a couple of days later. This player said he wasn't going to be able to make the next workout, that he had some academic work he needed to take care of. Coach said that was something the player had been allowed to do in the past.

                        Coach told him that's not the way it's going to work. Coach basically said 2 hours of the week are for workouts with him and the player would have to take care of his academic work on the remaining 166 hours of the week. This player evidentally didn't agree and didn't stay with the program.

                        Does anyone know who this player was?
                        I have a pretty good idea, but i think it may go against posting guidelines to say it on here. But it not real hard to guess on which player it is.
                        Yeah im thinking that kid from Arkansas I cant think of anybody else who left the program :I wont use names:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          One more question: are most of the callers stoned, drunk, crazy on acid, or all of the above?

                          I'll hang up and listen.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 2-11-08 Coaches Show

                            Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                            Lowlights

                            Dennis
                            Isn't Dennis always a Lowlight? Him asking a bad/dumb question is like it being windy in Kansas.
                            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                            -- Yogi Berra

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My understanding is that you have to have them over for dinner. You can't take them to the "Groin and Loin."
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X