Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which recruit are you most excited about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshall has made it pretty clear he doesn't want Gal to start at the point, unless it's an absolute must.

Comment

I don't think that anyone is happier with Matt's return to the lineup than Gal. The experience for him has been great but I hope he isn't at the point next year.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        If Gal were to play the one we'd pretty much have to have Aaron develop to the point where he can play, and start, at the three and move AJ to the two. I just don't see one of the FR guards starting next season.
        I agree. I would not mind seeing Gal and Clevin Hannah on the court next year with a "two point guard" offense where we pass the ball around and try to get the ball inside to Garrett Stutz or Ehimen Orukpe, take an open shot, etc. I would like to see twice as much pressure on the opponent's defense as usual. Right now, Matt and Gal do this to some extent but I would like to see more of it. I don't really care who gets the "title" of point guard as long as our guards try to break down the opponent's defense and get easy baskets. BTW: I notice that we seem to get more backdoor plays when Gal is the pg; I know some teams overplay us and I enjoy it when we make them pay for doing so.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I think that as a Jr, Gal will be a starter when practices start. What happens after practices start is up to the players.

If Gal is penciled in as a starter when practices start, it almost has to be at PG. Gal is a career 30.1% 3-pt shooter. I can see putting a Fr ahead of Gal at SG. Hawkins is also not a great career 3-shooter.

I can see Kyles and Murry duking it out for the starting SG spot. Hawkins almost has to be a 3. Ellis will probably be moved to a combo 3/4. Next year is still a transition year and a rebuilding year. Could be 2 Fr starters and some returning players still trying to figure out where they are going to play.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I think Gal returns next year - and I think he's the starting PG until someone beats him out of the position.

There's not much of a substitute for someone who has run the point in the system. Gal has done that.
            On the coach's show this evening, HCGM said that Clevin Hannah has to play right away. About Gal, the coach said "Gal is a guard. He's not a point guard. He's really not even a 2 guard. I don't know what he is. He's just a guard and he wants to win."

Comment

Interesting comment. Marshall has not coached Hannah yet and anything he says now has to be taken with a grain of salt. Marshall likes defense; lets look at the players:
              Gal Mekel Height: 6-3, Weight: 198
              Clevin Hannah Height: 6-0,Weight: 160.
              How much difference does 3 inches and 38 pounds make in MVC play? Gal's defense has improved a lot in my opinion. If Hannah plays weak defense, will Marshall accept this? I hope Hannah plays great defense but I've learned not to believe all the recruiting hype.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Gal's defense is really, REALLY good right now and it's overlooked.

If he returns, he will play but Gregg's system is not built for Gal's game and he was really close to not returning after last year.

Barring injury, Clevin will start at the point.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                  Interesting comment. Marshall has not coached Hannah yet and anything he says now has to be taken with a grain of salt. Marshall likes defense; lets look at the players:
                  Gal Mekel Height: 6-3, Weight: 198
                  Clevin Hannah Height: 6-0,Weight: 160.
                  How much difference does 3 inches and 38 pounds make in MVC play?
                  Weight does not always equal defensive ability, much of what makes a good defender is foot speed. JT is the heaviest player on the team, is he a better defender than Ramon or Phil?

If Hannah plays weak defense, will Marshall accept this? I hope Hannah plays great defense but I've learned not to believe all the recruiting hype.
                  How well do you know Gregg Marshall? Do you honestly think he would recruit someone who was weak on the defensive end? HCGM gave a great explanation of what an effective PG guard does when he talked about how Matt makes good, quick passes off the drive instead of the "bail out" passes that Gal has to make when he gets stuck.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

Unless Hannah falls down and breaks his big toe in practice, he will be our starting PG. Why? Because CGM needs predictable point guard play, and that's what Hannah brings to the table, plus he is a good shooter that can take up the slack when needed.

Gal may be what is referred to as a center guard, a little different style, and is best suited when he has a sharp PG playing with him. How it all works out between Hannah, Gal, Kyles, and Murry will not probably be determined until the season starts in the fall, but all will be on the floor. Now, if we get Beckham, I think Beckham will spell Hannah at PG, and probably Kyles or Murry will redshirt. If Gal does not return next year, then Coach may not redshirt any guards.

I think AJ/Gris will be the 3's. Ellis will be a 3/4 combo. Clemente will start at the 4. Unless Durley's attitude gets better about hustling and defense, he might not be here.

You have to remember, no matter what a player's skill set is, their attitude in practice and in working with the coaching staff may dictate how much playing time they get, and certain combos of players might gel together better than other combinations.

Comment

I figure there is zero chance that we will go into next season without a backup point guard. Zero. Marshall will not go through this again. Hopefully it's Beckham, not sure who "plan B" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                        Ellis will be a 3/4 combo.
                        Okay -- am I making things up again. I thought I remembered Coach saying that Ellis could have benefited from a redshirt year this year, but with the injuries and all, that was impossible, but that he was thinking of redshirting him next year (even though Ellis was not in favor of this). Am I hallucinating or do I have my players mixed up?

Comment

Yeah, I think that was mentioned as a possibility. BTW, Doc is right, Gal's defense is much, much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                            I think AJ/Gris will be the 3's. Ellis will be a 3/4 combo. Clemente will start at the 4. Unless Durley's attitude gets better about hustling and defense, he might not be here.
                            According to Marshall, Griskenas does not have the footspeed to defend MVC 3-men. He's a 4.

Comment

This morning on Sports Daily HCGM said that he will have the full compliment of 13 Scholarships filled next year.

He said you need more than 8 or 9 scholarship players for games, but you don't need 13. So plan on one or two players a year being red-shirted.

I think Aaron Ellis continues to be a candidate to red-shirt next year although that is anything but set in stone. With so many new faces coming in next year I suspect any redshirt decisions will be delayed as long as possible.

Comment

I'd say Griz is probably a 4/3. He could still step out and play there if needed. Probably go more zone in that case if he can't keep up with the other 3. Ellis is probably more of a 3/4.

Coach did say he might RS Ellis. I think it'll depend upon his development over the summer and who's here next season.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X