Vote for Gregg Marshall - Infiinty Challenge on ESPN.COM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
    Voted. My favorite charity name in the contest? Tatums Bags of Fun. I have no idea what the charity benefits and I'm probably going to hell for laughing at it.
    Sorry, didn't see this.

Comment

• GM now 2nd, keep voting

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
        I'm assuming you start a foundation for things you care about. This when given the chance to raise money for a non prof you raise it for something you care about. Also having a non prof with your name makes it easy to turn down donations to other groups. Otherwise the Phone rings non stop.
        I would guess that a lot of these high salary coaches start foundations partly for tax reasons also. And those foundations then probably make contributions to Big Brothers and Sisters, the YMCA etc. I would be interested to know if the coaches foundations are doing some unique, original charitable work or research. I would guess not, but don't know.

It wouldn't do much to stop the phone ringing; folks starting asking the Foundation for contributions to their cause/charity.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post
          I dont see whats odd about that. If ESPN came to you asking to raise money for a charity, and you have your own charity, why would you use any other charity?
          Sorry to belabor this.

You might use another charity that was providing front-line help to folks, like the Wichita Children's Home. Maybe I will take a gander at what the Bill Self foundation funds.

Comment

• That would be stupid. "Hey everyone, I really care about Cause X and my Foundation helps / fights against X. So please vote for me and the money will go to some other non prof!"

Stop trying to think this one through.

Comment

That would be stupid. "Hey everyone, I really care about Cause X and my Foundation helps / fights against X. So please vote for me and the money will go to some other non prof!"

Stop trying to think this one through.
              I am not thinking it through. I am stating what I know happens. Apparently you don't know the non-profit world. I've worked in it for ten years.

The latest info I found on The Bill Self Foundation stated that it made grants to the Salvation Army, the Kansas City, KS School Foundation, The Lawrence High School Foundation and the Lawrence Memorial Hospital Foundation. (The specific name of his Foundation is the "Self Assist Foundation.")

Self even took a $12,500 salary in 2009.
              Last edited by ABC; February 9, 2014, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                I am not thinking it through. I am stating what I know happens. Apparently you don't know the non-profit world. I've worked in it for ten years.

The latest info I found on The Bill Self Foundation stated that it made grants to the Salvation Army, the Kansas City, KS School Foundation, The Lawrence High School Foundation and the Lawrence Memorial Hospital Foundation. (The specific name of his Foundation is the "Self Assist Foundation.")

Self even took a $12,500 salary in 2009.
                Took salary from the foundation? His x.x million as beaker coach isn't enough?

Or do you mean he only took $12,500 from the beakers and they used the x.xmillion to fund the foundation?
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Not to change the subject (please) but has anyone else had trouble with the voting. For two days in a row I have gone in to vote and after voting it comes up with a message that there was an error encountered and there was trouble registering my vote but to try again. When I do "try again" it tells me I have already voted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                    Not to change the subject (please) but has anyone else had trouble with the voting. For two days in a row I have gone in to vote and after voting it comes up with a message that there was an error encountered and there was trouble registering my vote but to try again. When I do "try again" it tells me I have already voted.
                    That has happened to me three times, but only one on any given day (I vote 7 times)
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                      Took salary from the foundation? His x.x million as beaker coach isn't enough?

Or do you mean he only took $12,500 from the beakers and they used the x.xmillion to fund the foundation?
                      He took at $12,500 salary from the Foundation. Seems odd. There might be an IRS/tax issue at play.

Comment

• Of course there is

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                          He took at $12,500 salary from the Foundation. Seems odd. There might be an IRS/tax issue at play.
                          Based on Coach Self's earnings power that is probably about 5 hours of work. No real tax advantage to taking a salary and paying medicare taxes and income taxes at the maximum individual rate while the Foundation pays an excise tax on their income of 1% to 2% and has to screw around with payroll tax returns and forms.

No question there are some tax advantages that come into play in setting up a non-operating foundation. That said there is nothing inherently evil or negative about private non-operating foundations.

Comment

• I noticed when I looked at the AP poll on ESPN today that there was an Ad on the right side that said, "Help Michigan State's Coach Izzo Win $100,000 For Charity".

I just looked again and they had one saying the same thing for Arizona's Coach Miller. I wonder if they're going through each of the coaches. Has anyone seen Coach Marshall on the Ad?

Comment

Of course there is
                              What is it? It was only for one year which is also odd

Comment

• I did a refresh a bunch of times and got this to come up.

Comment

Working...
                                X