No announcement yet.

Need Better coaching management with players with fouls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually think Marshall sitting foul trouble guys in this instance is more about fostering mental and performance toughness from the bench. That he wanted to press Wiggins, Coleby, Wessel to grow and be able to handle this situation... so that they would be better prepared in the future. Think about the crunch time minutes FVV logged last year during the Final Four run despite having a fantastic senior point guard. There was a plan then that has allowed FVV to be ready for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by shockingwheat View Post
      I actually think Marshall sitting foul trouble guys in this instance is more about fostering mental and performance toughness from the bench. That he wanted to press Wiggins, Coleby, Wessel to grow and be able to handle this situation... so that they would be better prepared in the future. Think about the crunch time minutes FVV logged last year during the Final Four run despite having a fantastic senior point guard. There was a plan then that has allowed FVV to be ready for this year.
      Agree.

I love your SN handle, it goes back to our roots!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Cle and the gang were handling it. Why risk Ron. Let him rest that ankle as much as possible. I really think that if Alabama would have pulled out ahead by 5 or 6 Marshall would have put him back in. I'm not saying Ron is indispensable but I think even the team members would say we are better with him on the floor. We do really well without him, but -- well, you know what we do with him. In Marshall we believe. Let him coach.

Comment

The game was close, but since we were never down by more than 3 at any point in the game there was no need to get any of those guys back in the game and risk them having to sit for even longer should they pick up their 3rd rather quickly. Which with the game I was watching.....was very l likely since a lot of the whistles were anticipated whistles and not what actually happened on the court. The game was on its way to a blow out until the fouls set in. I understand everyone wants to see us put someone away, but if you check the right hand column of the W-L......it doesn't say by how many points....and at this time still reads 0.
          -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

If it was an ankle issue, fine.

However, my opinion is that coaches in general are crazy for resting star players so much with 3 fouls. Sooooo many good quality minutes don't get played because coaches are overly cautious about fouling out, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
              Marshall makes 1.4 million or so more bones than I do to make those decisions. No complaint here at the result.
              Then you're way overpaid.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Just my opinion but this thread and it's title are dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  Who is this Ron Baker you speak of?
                  Bill Howard
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                    Bill Howard
                    Has Ron Howard played yet?

Comment

The guy has been to a final 4, so im gonna trust HCGM judgement
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                        If it was an ankle issue, fine.

However, my opinion is that coaches in general are crazy for resting star players so much with 3 fouls. Sooooo many good quality minutes don't get played because coaches are overly cautious about fouling out, IMO.
                        I agree with this.

At the time I was fairly sure the extended break was due to his ankle, particularly when the under 12 timeout came and went with Ron still on the bench.

Even Gaudio was talking about his philosophy of not always pulling players with two fouls in the 1st half or three early in the 2nd. Ultimately, it depends on the situation.

Just using last night as an example (forget about Ron's ankle, for this argument's sake), we clearly can't afford to have our two primary point guards plus our most dynamic player on the bench for so long. It's worth the risk, IMO, to keep one of your two guards on the floor in an attempt to protect the lead going into halftime.

Considering Ron's ankle again, it means that player would have to have been Fred. If Fred does pick up his 3rd, now you're looking at having to play a hobbled Ron for an extended stretch. Not a good thing.

Marshall has his philosophy and that's fine. It's the generally accepted one among coaches, too. But it's not 100% accepted and is a legitimate, debatable topic.

Comment

I agree with everything that everyone has said on this thread...
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                            I agree with everything that everyone has said on this thread...
                            Doc Johnsons right about Howard Johnson being right! Revren
                            I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

I and the crew with me were fine with the way HCGM handled the substitutions. I was the one who said I wanted a comfortable lead and our bench to get playing time . well I got more or less 1/2 of it . the lead might not of been as comfortable as I wanted , but the bench got their minutes. On the whole we were happy sayin our bench pretty much played even up ball with Bama's starters,, you can't be unhappy about bein able to say that.
                              From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

And also,, we never really felt like the game was in jeopardy of bein lost, even with Cle, Ron, and FVV on the bench. how many other D1 teams could put 3 starters on the bench and still feel confident about the outcome against Bama this yr ??
                                From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Working...
                                X