No announcement yet.

Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might have been linked somewhere else, but this is one of the better summaries I've read so far:

ST. LOUIS — Fred VanVleet leaned against his stall in the corner of the Wichita State locker room, just minutes removed from missing the biggest shot of his career. All around him was emotion...

"Eventually VanVleet couldn’t take it anymore.

He had to speak.

“There’s no reason to be upset, guys,” said the point guard, never rising from his seat. “We got outplayed today. They were the better team. Don’t hang your heads.

“This game doesn’t take anything away from what we accomplished.”

Indeed.

If anything, what happened Sunday validated it.

In what was easily the most intriguing matchup of the NCAA tournament thus far, Wichita State and its band of overlooked, under-recruited mutts hardly looked outclassed against a Kentucky squad that features seven McDonald’s All-Americans and at least three potential lottery picks in this summer’s draft.

Kentucky needed its best performance of the season to stave off the Shockers, the first team in 23 years to enter the tournament undefeated. Wichita State had a shot to win on the game’s final play, when VanVleet’s three-pointer clanged off the rim as time expired.

“We knew Wichita State was good,” Wildcats forward Dakari Johnson said. “But we didn’t know they were that good.”'

Comment

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Read the comments and it would appear that we have praise from a KU fan, a UK fan, and a K-State fan. Wow.

Comment

• Awesome article. I love Clea's studliness...

Comment

• I was in the car 2 1/2 hours today listening to SIRUS radio and there was a ton of love for the Shockers today. All of the pundits were talking about what a great game WSU-UK was and how the Shockers clearly deserved their #1 seed. Callers calling in to national shows were commenting about what a great game it was and how impressed they were with the Shockers. Baker and Early in particular were getting lots of kudos. I really didn't expect to hear this much about us after we lost.

It really is too bad this game wasn't played in the elite 8 or the final 4 even.

Comment

• Next season's pre-season poll, I'm saying 20th. The article points out what we already know, we need a couple of players to rise in the front court and make some noise.

Watch FOX Sports and view live scores, odds, team news, player news, streams, videos, stats, standings & schedules covering NFL, MLB, NASCAR, WWE, NBA, NHL, college sports & more!

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                I was in the car 2 1/2 hours today listening to SIRUS radio and there was a ton of love for the Shockers today. All of the pundits were talking about what a great game WSU-UK was and how the Shockers clearly deserved their #1 seed. Callers calling in to national shows were commenting about what a great game it was and how impressed they were with the Shockers.
                Sports radio in Vegas yesterday was approximately 30% Shockers and Kentucky. Extremely complimentary. Much of the conversation centered around how bad the Selection Committee was. Poll on the front page of ESPN1100 asked was "WSU good, but not good enough" or "Did the committee screw WSU". When I voted we were 85% screwed.
                Last edited by Anthroshock; March 25, 2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• I second that. AWESOME article. The trolls can say whatever they want. Articles like this and many others chisel the truth in granite.
                  Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Coach Marshall will be on the Mike Francesca radio show at 2PM. I don't know what radio station it's on, but there is a simulcast on Fox sports 1

Comment

• Apparently technical issues with HCGM on aren't limited to KNSS :D At least they got it worked out after starting those first few seconds of not knowing what he said.

Comment

• Mike: "greatest ncaa tournament game in at least 5 years"
                        "Fred lost his aggression after his 3rd foul"
                        "Was a Van Vleet 3 what you wanted at the end? "
                        Marshall: "the finality of the season is sobering"
                        "FVV 3 at the end was 3rd option out of 4" (Cle cutting to hoop, baker shot)
                        working on hiring a coach, recruiting, golfing with kellen on Friday
                        "FVV felt woozy after hitting his head, had headaches after the game, but doctors said no concussion"
                        "Cle made a couple million off this game, will be a 1st rounder"
                        "Kentucky hit key 3s against the zone and were getting too many offensive rebounds"

Comment

• Jay Bilas's stars of the tournament:

1. Cleanthony Early, F, Wichita State Shockers

Players usually don't get accolades after a loss, but Early was the best player in the first weekend of play. In two games, the versatile, stretch big averaged 27.0 points and 7.0 rebounds while hitting 21 of 32 field goal attempts, including 7-of-14 from 3-point range. Early hit big shot after big shot, ran the floor and defended at a high level. For anyone who doubted whether Wichita State had any pros, the Shockersdid. Early is an NBA player, and was magnificent in the tournament.

Comment

• Marshall wanted to get to a 12point lead by halftime, compared to last year's Louisville game (PG in foul trouble)
                            doesn't think this year's Louisville is as good as last year, if Kentucky plays like they did vs WSU, advantage to UK
                            Marshall wants people to remember the 35 straight wins and how good of ambassadors for the university and game.
                            I thought it was a great 20-25 minute interview

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                              I find it a bit odd that we're now validated because we lost to UK while Gonzaga is still chastised for being overrated last year and was constantly brought up this year as a reason for why we didn't deserve a 1 seed. I guess in this case it's a good thing we lost to a BCS team and not a Final Four quality "mid-major."
                              KU was validated all year for losing to good teams. I guess now we know what it takes to win over the media.

Comment

• Bob Knight said WSU was the best team this season. (Starts around the 7:30 mark)

Still tough to swallow. If only the committee would have done their jobs correctly, both UK and WSU would still be playing.

Makes me sick.

Basketball Hall of Famer Bob Knight weighs in on tanking in the NBA, one-and-dones, how to approach coaching in the NCAA tournament, Wichita State's season and more.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X