No announcement yet.

Shocks vs SLU GAME Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks get some positive press and a nice picture at cbs sports.com.

An excerpt from the article:

The Shockers made a surprising run to the Final Four last season as a No. 9 seed, but this year's version could be a better, more talented team. They are now 8-0 this season, including wins over BYU and now at Saint Louis. The latter is extremely impressive, given how good the Billikens usually are on their homecourt.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
      It was hard for me to tell how many Shocker fans were there because they were scattered throughout the arena in mostly small groupings of two to four. My best guess is 200 to 300. It was loud at times, but nothing like Koch. They definitely were eager for a victory over a ranked team. There was a pretty small representation at the game by their student body, I don't know if that is because of the holiday weekend. St Louis U has a very good and large pep band. My wife and I sat by very nice STL fans and enjoyed discussing the game with them.

On a side note, there apparently is a mass evacuation of Mizzou students from St. Louis beginning at about 2:30 on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The traffic from STL to Columbia was horrible.
      They were giving students free tee shirts to give them an incentive to be there. Apparently it didn't work that well.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
        I love mike Kennedy, but he needs to back off on the complaining. I listened to the live broadcast while traveling and believed we were being hosed from MK's call of the game, but when I got home and watched the replay, I'm sorry, but he was dead wrong about some of the plays he was going crazy about. For instance the shot clock violation -no, Fred's shot did not hit the rim, and when he was comainin about two guys fouling Tekele and then a goal tending for grabbing the rim - maybe one guy got him with a little body, hard to tell, but it was Tekele who grabbed the rim. It seems like be thinks the refs are just out to get WSU. Yes, they called a loose game today, but it wasn't nearly as one sided as MK made it sound.
        I watched the game and WSU DID get hosed by the refs. Just read the first 15 pages of this thread and you will find several on this board who agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
          Surely nobody thought this would be easy did they. We gutted out this win against a team that was the best defensive team we've seen this year. Fred didnt play great but still manages to make big plays. Cle just never got in a flow till the back to back 3's. and Ron was Ron...awesome. Lufile is getting better and better and really beating a team like this on the road knowing you didnt play your best....this team hasnt even come close to playing their best and when the do...we need to sell out the tennesse game .....lets do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          I was serious. If we played a complete game, we would have beat SLU by 20. Just waiting for all pistons to fire.

And don't call me shirley. :)
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Notes on the game:
            The arena got loud at times, but never close to Koch. And it got loud at weird times. The arena would get to their feet to cheer as a team called a timeout and then would sit down once the action started. There was only one play the entire game that I thought it was actually loud while we had the ball. And if I remember right, it caused a turnover.
            SLU fans seemed fairly personable and an enjoyable group.
            My section alone had four guys wearing Mizzou shirts, jackets, or hats. I laughed and laughed and stopped one on his way in and said "Nice colors!" He kept his hat on, though...
            Before the end of the game two SLU fans said "that Baker can really play." and apparently they were unfamiliar with his story because they were blown away.
            Also, for as much as we complain about our student section, if we were playing the number 12 team in the country any time in the last three years, we would have had more students there 45 minutes before tip off than they did at tip off.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              Notes on the game:
              The arena got loud at times, but never close to Koch. And it got loud at weird times. The arena would get to their feet to cheer as a team called a timeout and then would sit down once the action started. There was only one play the entire game that I thought it was actually loud while we had the ball. And if I remember right, it caused a turnover.
              SLU fans seemed fairly personable and an enjoyable group.
              My section alone had four guys wearing Mizzou shirts, jackets, or hats. I laughed and laughed and stopped one on his way in and said "Nice colors!" He kept his hat on, though...
              Before the end of the game two SLU fans said "that Baker can really play." and apparently they were unfamiliar with his story because they were blown away.
              Also, for as much as we complain about our student section, if we were playing the number 12 team in the country any time in the last three years, we would have had more students there 45 minutes before tip off than they did at tip off.
              I wonder how many students they would have had if they hadn't given them all free T-shirts and $2 beer yesterday (for those over 21)? Either the promotions didn't work, or they would have had like 8 students there.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                I watched the game and WSU DID get hosed by the refs. Just read the first 15 pages of this thread and you will find several on this board who agree.
                The refs were inconsistent but I thought overall did a decent job. There were a few questionable calls, but every game has that. I'm sure SLU thought they got hosed on a few as well, afterall, it was their two big men that fouled out.

Comment

• Reading their board, in the past, some students have picked up their free t-shirt and not stayed for the game.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

• Highlights up anywhere?
                    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• That's a good win: Wichita State goes on the road and knocks off Saint Louis.

The Shockers made a surprising to the Final Four last season as a No. 9 seed, but this year's version could be a better, more talented team. They are now 8-0 this season, including wins over BYU and now at Saint Louis. The latter is extremely impressive, given how good the Billikens usually are on their homecourt. Ron Baker continued his stellar start to the season with 22 points, six rebounds and four assists, while the defense held Saint Louis to below 40 percent shooting. Back-to-back games against Tennessee and at Alabama later this month will be interesting.
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...te-final-score -- That headline image

You have to laugh

Comment

• At forward for Wichita State, a 6'8" forward from Middletown, NY: Rocky!! the Squirrell!!!!!!!!
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                            Reading their board, in the past, some students have picked up their free t-shirt and not stayed for the game.
                            It appears they continued that tradition yesterday.

Comment

• Am I the only one, who is worried about bench scoring?

Just wondering.
                              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                                Am I the only one, who is worried about bench scoring?

Just wondering.
                                The only 2 bench players that I believe can score are Wiggins and Carter. Those 2 would probably start on any other Valley team. Wiggins 3 ball has been sucky, but he has been pretty good at driving.

Carter?? I was expecting instant offense, but am willing to be patient.
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X