And so it begins.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins.......

Welcome to Meltdown Arena, population growing.

Frankly, I am a little surprised it took this long. Given the "fickleness" of fans in general, I sort of expected the dissention to start a little earlier.

I am guessing that we will have a really good idea as to who the dedicated fans are in the next couple of weeks.

Are there not people out there that think that we are getting an awful lot, percentagewise, out of the personel that we have?

I watch our game at CU and, yes, we could have done a few things different that would have changed the outcome. But, damnit, you can't just look at the things that go wrong and say "Change that and we win"!!!

There were certainly a few oddities that went our way (Lance's 3 point and one comes to mind). What if 2 or 3 of those things don't happen?

My point is simply that with 3 exceptions, (@ ISU, @ MSU and 2nd half @EU) this team has operated very close to their potential. Can we really expect a whole lot more?

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

When you first gave the warning Doc that things could get pretty ugly, I didn't believe it, but quickly realized that it would. We just don't have it this year, but next year and the year after for sure will be much better. This team is still giving us some enjoyable minutes in the meantime and are doing about as best they can right now. Hang in there everybody.
    In the fast lane

Comment

I hear you, good Dr.

And while yes a message board is a place for us fans to rant and rave and wonder about this and that, our opinions are just that - fan opinions. And considering that, as far as I know, we all collectively have coached precisely ZERO D1 games, said opinions aren't worth a whole lot more than the pixels on the screen.

Did I expect us to be THIS bad? No. But, IIRC, Turgeon's first year wasn't exactly beer and puppies, either.

Next year and the year after will be the indicators of whether or not HCGM can get the job done here.

Just my two cents.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

i thought you guys were in meltdown arena after the Bears game. the first one.
        "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
        CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

There were a couple of callers to the pregame show that mentioned the things that made them proud to be WSU supporters.

Things like the guys wearing suits on the sidelines. Things like never hearing about players in the news (in trouble) etc etc.

Mike commented that winning and having these things were not mutually exclusive but that HCGM believed you could have both, expected nothing less than that from everyone involved, and that he was making mental notes of those things that might have been disrespectful of WSU (ie Dom's slide across the WSU logo at our place).

I realize that everyone wants a winner. If we as fans continue to support the program as we have for at least the last 5 seasons, I promise you things are going to turn, and turn quickly and you are going to be a lot happier and have a greater feeling of satisfaction if you have been aboard the train the entire way and didn't jump off when things were a little rocky.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

While we are playing that game why don't we throw in some others...

Monmouth- 5-17

UMKC- 8-16

Fact is that this team has shown the ability to play with quality teams-

Wyoming W
            UAB W
            Tx Arlington 60-59 L

We are far enough into the season now that we shoulden't be having meltdowns. Where is the improvement? This isn't a strong conference and 2-10 is not acceptable any way you look at it. We have also had some games we should have won that we blew up. JMO

Comment

I have no problem with the win/loss record.

Hell we could lose every single game as long as the guys show some effort.

The game against Mo St and Evansville are the only knocks against the guys this year.

Comment

If I recall correctly, Turgeon lost his first 10 games or so as a coach at WSU.

Yes, we played marginally better over the course of the season, but you have to include in that season a 40+ point drubbing from SIU at OUR PLACE when they weren't even the favorites in the conference that year.

Finally, this slide is over a year old. It started with Turgeon last December in Las Vegas and nothing has been right with SHocker basketball since.

Oh yeah, totally Marshall's responsibility when he got here in April and had all the time in the world and the biggest pool of recruits to look over. (if you haven't figured it out, that sentence was laced with sarcasm) :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by wxkid23

Monmouth- 5-17

UMKC- 8-16

Wyoming W
                  UAB W
                  Tx Arlington 60-59 L

We are far enough into the season now that we shoulden't be having meltdowns. Where is the improvement? This isn't a strong conference and 2-10 is not acceptable any way you look at it. We have also had some games we should have won that we blew up. JMO
                  Wyoming is 9-12 this year.
                  UTA is only 4-4 in the Southland Conference.

From the get-go this team hasn't been good. Our wins were against below-average teams. So for people to keep saying "why can we beat good teams like Wyoming, LSU, UAB, etc....and then lose to Evansville?"....you put way too much stock into those non-con wins.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
                    If I recall correctly, Turgeon lost his first 10 games or so as a coach at WSU.

Yes, we played marginally better over the course of the season, but you have to include in that season a 40+ point drubbing from SIU at OUR PLACE when they weren't even the favorites in the conference that year.

Finally, this slide is over a year old. It started with Turgeon last December in Las Vegas and nothing has been right with SHocker basketball since.

Oh yeah, totally Marshall's responsibility when he got here in April and had all the time in the world and the biggest pool of recruits to look over. (if you haven't figured it out, that sentence was laced with sarcasm) :lol:
                    Here is are the results of Turgeon's first season.

You're probably thinking of the mid-season 11-game losing streak. The year actually started out pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      Here is are the results of Turgeon's first season.

You're probably thinking of the mid-season 11-game losing streak. The year actually started out pretty well.
                      And here are the conference standings from that year.

Seems oddly similar in many ways to this year.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
                        Originally posted by wxkid23

Monmouth- 5-17

UMKC- 8-16

Wyoming W
                        UAB W
                        Tx Arlington 60-59 L

Wyoming is 9-12 this year.
                        UTA is only 4-4 in the Southland Conference.

From the get-go this team hasn't been good. Our wins were against below-average teams. So for people to keep saying "why can we beat good teams like Wyoming, LSU, UAB, etc....and then lose to Evansville?"....you put way too much stock into those non-con wins.
                        I didn't realize Wyoming was that bad. You can throw in other games (Drake, CU) where we played tough. My point stands that I believe we should have picked up another 2-3 wins in the Valley so far. Im not an accepting person and I personally believe enough is here to be better than 2-10 in a weak MVC.

Comment

I think we will find out who the real fans are on Saturday. The team needs to know it still has something worth fighting for, and we need to keep fighting the instinct to give up on them.

It's time to show your true colors...

Put on your yellow, call your friends and family, and do what we did for the Volleyball team...

PACK THE CHUCK!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
                            i thought you guys were in meltdown arena after the Bears game. the first one.
                            Still think we can make a run for first?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

So what, we suck this year. I'm able to handle this today, thanks to my trip to Greensboro 2 years ago :clap: ...I satified my need for the Shockers to make some noise on the national scene, but it's not going to last much longer I can handle a down year....we all should have known something like this might happen. Oh well, life goes on, there are more important things in life to worry about than whether or not a bad WSU team wins games. We have a lot of injuries, hopfully all the players get well and our new guys pan out next year. I can't wait to see AJ Hawkins in a game! I'm looking forward to Baseball season now more than ever as I'm sure many Shocker fans are in order to get the bad taste from a losing season out of our mouths. I'm still going to all the home games and I'll still make the St. Louis trip to support our team.

:goshocks:

Comment

Working...
                              X