Offical Tulsa game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RipEmUpShox View Post
    This is exactly my point. That we could start to take on a BCS type of mentality, which is basically this... "We have more talent, this will be a cake walk we dont need to put so much effort in on the boards (we allowed 9 offensive rebounds in the first half to Tenn State!!! That isnt lack o talent, its of effort)... My fear is being int he final four may make us think that teams will just lay down for us. I dont want us to play that way, I want us to play our hearts out every single play, thats what SHOCKER basketball is. This thinking we are no. 14 and teams will just lay down stuff is concerning. Im not saying we are screwed... Im saying when we play BYU, i sure hope we will play a full game of MTXE (doesnt mean we make all our shots, or get every rebound, it means we put in Mental Toughness and XE on every single play.) What I am saying really isnt that ridiculous. I hope hgm is saying the same thing. Because seeing Tenn State get 9 Offensive Boards, isn't because theyre talented down low, its a lack of boxing out and effort frankly by some of our big guys... Thats an area of concern, and NO it does not make me a hater for saying it.
    That was exactly your point? I thought your point was that other top teams haven't struggled?

Perhaps you're changing your point to avoid sounding more idiotic?

Comment

Notre Dame is not a top 15 team. ISU is not on the level of tulsa. They will manhandle tulsa. Apparently none of you read this. There are qualifiers involved. The point isnt playing close halfs, its the level of team we are playing. Come on guys, really allowing 71 points to Tenn State? thats not cause for concern? We gotta stop playing down to our opponents. Its nothing about hating on the shockers. I love the shockers I think they are a great team. I guess no one here is allowed to say that we have room to improve?
      isu is not on the level of tulsa, you say? but then in the very next sentence, you say they will manhandle tulsa. are you out of your mind?

a) tremendous team defense
      b) tko putback
      c) noticeably great coaching

Comment

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

This is exactly my point. That we could start to take on a BCS type of mentality, which is basically this... "We have more talent, this will be a cake walk we dont need to put so much effort in on the boards (we allowed 9 offensive rebounds in the first half to Tenn State!!! That isnt lack o talent, its of effort)... My fear is being int he final four may make us think that teams will just lay down for us. I dont want us to play that way, I want us to play our hearts out every single play, thats what SHOCKER basketball is. This thinking we are no. 14 and teams will just lay down stuff is concerning. Im not saying we are screwed... Im saying when we play BYU, i sure hope we will play a full game of MTXE (doesnt mean we make all our shots, or get every rebound, it means we put in Mental Toughness and XE on every single play.) What I am saying really isnt that ridiculous. I hope hgm is saying the same thing. Because seeing Tenn State get 9 Offensive Boards, isn't because theyre talented down low, its a lack of boxing out and effort frankly by some of our big guys... Thats an area of concern, and NO it does not make me a hater for saying it.
          I agree that we have room for improvement--a lot of room. But I don't think it's that we're playing down to our competition, it's that our competition is playing up.

Let's be honest, we as a fanbase are not used to other teams throwing everything and the kitchen sink at us to try to beat the #14 team in the country. Our team isn't used to that. Everyone we've played so far this year has come out of the gate playing with a hair on fire intensity because this one game is the biggest game they will probably play all year. In 2006-2007 something very similar happened to us but that team (and coach) crumbled under the pressure. If we can continue to adjust at half time and take games over in the second half like great teams do, I'm happy because eventually we'll get used to the pressure. And when that happens, look out, because this team has no ceiling.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• I guess we all just can't get along. We are 5-0. It's not a beauty contest...it's about winning and continuing to build an identity to our team. We, just like other teams, are building chemistry, roles, etc... There are natural bumps in the road, not to mention bigger obstacles like the new NCAA officiating nonsense. This Shocker team is making strides we don't even see with the naked eye like the coaches observe very day in practice. Be patient everyone. We are going to continue to look like shat during certain stages in games, but at the same time, we seem to find positives to build on going forward. We just beat Tulsa by 23 points at their place over 40 minutes. Nice effort...lets move on!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
              I thought we looked a veteran team tonight. First time on the road but these youngsters played controlled, mature, winning basketball. The effort the first half was acceptable, just couldn't make shots.
              Fred and Ron. Nuff said.
              Nick's shot was off but I'm still proud of the effort. That's all we ask.
              Kadeem's 8 last Saturday and CJ's 10 tonight have to be the quietest 18 rebounds I have ever seen.
              Welcome Evan, we've missed you.
              And we can play better.
              HCGM said he only had a problem with one shot, the 3-pt attempt by Fred that got blocked.

Comment

Notre Dame is not a top 15 team. ISU is not on the level of tulsa. They will manhandle tulsa. Apparently none of you read this. There are qualifiers involved. The point isnt playing close halfs, its the level of team we are playing. Come on guys, really allowing 71 points to Tenn State? thats not cause for concern? We gotta stop playing down to our opponents. Its nothing about hating on the shockers. I love the shockers I think they are a great team. I guess no one here is allowed to say that we have room to improve?
                Notre Dame was ranked 21 at the time of their loss and it was a home game.

Tennessee State was our fourth game in 10 days. Even I was exhausted that game just from watching that many games in that time frame.
                But the real question is, when did you expect them to have serious practice to work on their kinks? There is no way to get good solid practice time between games when they are packed that tight. There is scouting time and prep time for the next game and maybe work out a single fundamental issue. But you just can't expect sweeping corrections with back-to-back-to-back-to-back games.

We had more time this time and Baker and FVV had their energy back. Coleby was clearly trying to be more aggressive from the start (which ironically got him in foul trouble early).
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Is this guy looking at Ron's boob? What is he thinking?

Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                    I thought for our first road game a solid B. Our guard play was solid, only 10 turnovers, Ron and Fred were as good as any guard duo I've seen this year. Early was in foul trouble but still had a quiet 13pt 8 rebound night and Lufile had a very solid 2nd half which I thought help get us on that run...But really this was Ron and Freds night and its great that we have them for almost 3 more yrs.
                    Does anyone know what the lowest average number of turnovers per game for a season is? With FVV and Baker running the team, it should stay pretty low each game.

Comment

• Welp, a WSU-TU play made Top Ten. But it was the Tulsa dude getting the reverse alley-oop. Figures, lol.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                        I guess we all just can't get along. We are 5-0. It's not a beauty contest...it's about winning and continuing to build an identity to our team. We, just like other teams, are building chemistry, roles, etc... There are natural bumps in the road, not to mention bigger obstacles like the new NCAA officiating nonsense. This Shocker team is making strides we don't even see with the naked eye like the coaches observe very day in practice. Be patient everyone. We are going to continue to look like shat during certain stages in games, but at the same time, we seem to find positives to build on going forward. We just beat Tulsa by 23 points at their place over 40 minutes. Nice effort...lets move on!!!
                        Well said. On my way back from T Town with a smile on my face. Even Rip Em Up Shox insane posts can't put me in a bad mood.

Our guys were quite simply the tougher, more poised team tonight. We were winning loose balls up 17 with 3 minutes to go. I will give the benefit of the doubt to any team that does that no matter how many points Tennessee Freakin State scored.

More tomorrow.

Comment

YOU ARE SUCH AN ASSHOLE.
                          just enjoy the ride and move on.

Comment

I'm pickin' up what you're laying down. Yes, we're 5 and 0 but that's against teams with a combined record of 2 and 12 with a D2 win mixed in the bunch. We haven't exactly demonstrated domination for an entire game which is concerning. Our front court needs major improvement (Mr. Coleby, fouling out with how many points tonight?). Is CE reading too many newspapers and NBA wires? If you think this team can continue to win games on Van Vleet's and Baker's backs, then be prepared for a world of hurt when we face stiffer comp. it's early still, I have hope.

Comment

• Oh God! Noooooooooo!!!!!!!
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                                I'm pickin' up what you're laying down. Yes, we're 5 and 0 but that's against teams with a combined record of 2 and 12 with a D2 win mixed in the bunch. We haven't exactly demonstrated domination for an entire game which is concerning. Our front court needs major improvement (Mr. Coleby, fouling out with how many points tonight?). Is CE reading too many newspapers and NBA wires? If you think this team can continue to win games on Van Vleet's and Baker's backs, then be prepared for a world of hurt when we face stiffer comp. it's early still, I have hope.
                                Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                                It's clear this team is not capable of giving me my desired 30 point plus margin of victory (unless we are playing a D2 squad). Anyway, we'll be down by halftime, and will have to scratch and claw our way to a 73 - 67 victory. Onward and upward...
                                0 for 3.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X