No announcement yet.

WSU unanimous pick for first place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNI is a year away from competing. They have no post depth.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      By in large I agree, I do worry about our unproven post players. Oh well, it will be 'game on' starting Saturday.

Go Valley!!

Go Shocks!!!!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        I believe the Valley is down this season, allowing for some teams to improve just because. I like Deon, their point guard. He's an above average PG in this league. I think Tuttle is WAY overrated, but he's still solid. Washspun will be a solid addition although he can't shoot much. I also think Friedman will be a really good Valley post player, perhaps sooner than later. But other than that, they just have a middling team. There are none of the big 3 walking through the door. I just can't see them being in the top 2 at all, and really 3-4 in my mind could be overachieving. They do add a transfer from Virginia who will be really good, for them, next season. They have a chance to be next year. But then they'll lose Tuttle and Mitchell, the 2 guys, the only 2 guys, I believe are difference makers. Jake is a really good coach, but you need talent to win.

Comment

UNI has their hands full with Dubuque this evening, whatever Dubuque is. Thanks to a 24-11 foul difference leading to a 33 to 11 FTA advantage, the Panthers are up 5 at the under 12 TO in the 2nd half. Tuttle and Mitchell have 50% of the scoring for UNI.

Tuttle has made 14 of 15 total shots (including FTs) and has 10 boards. My "way overrated" comment might have been a shade over the top.

UNI 85 Dubuque 66. 55 fouls, 78 FTs. Can you say trend? This was a small, unathletic and not good Dubuque team. Without Tuttle it might have been an even game.
          Last edited by WuDrWu; November 1, 2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

78 FT's???

I think I'd rather watch a "Sex and the City" marathon.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              UNI has their hands full with Dubuque this evening, whatever Dubuque is. Thanks to a 24-11 foul difference leading to a 33 to 11 FTA advantage, the Panthers are up 5 at the under 12 TO in the 2nd half. Tuttle and Mitchell have 50% of the scoring for UNI.

Tuttle has made 14 of 15 total shots (including FTs) and has 10 boards. My "way overrated" comment might have been a shade over the top.

UNI 85 Dubuque 66. 55 fouls, 78 FTs. Can you say trend? This was a small, unathletic and not good Dubuque team. Without Tuttle it might have been an even game.
              didn't uni finish third in the valley last year (behind creighton and wichita state, of course)? the shockers lost their top five scorers last year and still went to the final four. uni will be very competitive this season. no easy out there at all.

Comment

The number of fouls called shows what can happen when teams aren't very athletic.

Comment

K-state game was at 52 fouls with 6 minutes left in the game. I listened to about 45 seconds of game action and heard 3 fouls. That might be the longest I've ever listened to a cat game.

Comment

The NCAA is gonna ruin college basketball this year.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      The NCAA is gonna ruin college basketball this year.
                      I will second that.

Comment

We cant have it both ways, folks. We ***** and moan 18 games a year about how we get held and grabbed, then we complain when they want to make the calls when this type of thing happens?

Comment

I'm all for making the game a bit more fluid, but I'm not sure this is the correct approach. I think a lot of the concern, at least from me, is that the officials already had a hard enough time calling the rules that were in place. I'm not sure giving them more opportunities to call fouls is the solution.

I hope folks adjust and things are better after a month or so. I hope we don't take many lumps in that period. I'm glad this rule change is going in this year as opposed to last year (pretty sure we are much more offensively capable and less rough-n-tumble this year). I hope we practiced our free throws a lot this summer.

Comment

I don't understand the people who act like this rule is going to be the thing that holds WSU back from the rest of the top teams. We get to play offense too, right? We have plenty of guys who can score the ball that will be tough to stop without fouling. Besides did we just forget all of a sudden that we play in the valley? We're used to seeing three dumbass refs make themselves the star of the show by calling 50 fouls in a game. The Shockers should adjust more easily than most teams.

Comment

The only way tems like Evansville were preventing us from putting up 90 on them was by constantly hand-checking, bodying, and pushing guys with the ball. Now, they're not allowed to do that.

This rule change benefits teams with:
                              -> Perimeter players who can penetrate
                              -> A defensive presence (shot blocker) hanging out around the basket
                              -> Athletic teams with some quickness to play position defense, instead of shoving and holding defense
                              -> Teams that can hit FT's (until players adjust and stop fouling)

Just how is WSU going to be at any kind of disadvantage? This looks like it's going to be open season for Early, Wiggins, and VanVleet. Next year we've got a 6'7" guy coming in who's playing PG at Sunrise this year.

This might affect Cotton's defensive play, but he's a quick learner.

Early might go off for 20 every night - and that's from the FT line.
                              Last edited by Aargh; November 2, 2013, 12:13 PM.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                The only way tems like Evansville were preventing us from putting up 90 on them was by constantly hand-checking, bodying, and pushing guys with the ball. Now, they're not allowed to do that.

thjis rule change benefits teams with:
                                -> Perimeter players who can penetrate
                                -> A defensive presence (shot blocker) hanging out around the basket
                                -> Athletic teams with some quickness to play position defense, instead of shoving and holding defense
                                -> Teams that can hit FT's (until players adjust and stop fouling)

Just how is WSU going to be at any kind of disadvantage? This looks like it's going to be open season for Early, Wiggins, and VanVleet. Next year we've got a 6'7" guy coming in who's playing PG at Sunrise this year.

This might affect Cotton's defensive play, but he's a quick learner.

Early might go off for 20 every night - and that's from the FT line.
                                I can see where a players strength will be deemphasized with this type of defense. That's an area where WSU has had a constant advantage. You can see where the "yoga" training looks very appealing under this system. Having good body control and staying healthy will be a huge advantage.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X