Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Aargh: check your e-mail.

Comment

In the eagle article it says Elgin basically said it hurts to lose CU, but its not the end of the world...he pointed out that they never made the sweet 16.

I can give Elgin a high five for that.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
        In the eagle article it says Elgin basically said it hurts to lose CU, but its not the end of the world...he pointed out that they never made the sweet 16.

I can give Elgin a high five for that.
        That was the problem with CU. They kept making the tourney, but they never won more than one game, and rarely won a game. That created the appearance that the Valley should have been a 1 bid league. When the "best" team in the Valley goes something like 2 - 7 in the NCAA's, the Valley looks slightly better than the SWAC.

The Valley got some respect when SIU got 2 S16's , BU got 1 and WSU got 1. Then UNI got a S16 and WSU got a F4. CU consistently had a top team in the league. Their record in the NCAA's did NOTHING to raise the media perspective of the league.

In 7 years at Winthrop, Gregg Marshall was within one win in the NCAA's of Altman with 13 years at CU. Was CU ever an at-large NCAA team?
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Perception wise, it may be better for the league now that that waste of space is gone.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

i wish cu was still in the valley because i would have enjoyed seeing the shockers kick their a** all over the floor.

Comment

New personal record for most consecutive "like this post" posts. I think I need to go lie down.

Comment

Of course it would have been best had CU stayed and they at least once made the Sweet 16 but that's all water under the bridge. The only way I cheer for the Jays now is if it benefits our Shocks.

Go Valley!!

Go Shocks!!!!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Interestingly (to me at least) Indiana State was a near unanimous selection for 2nd. It would appear 40 voters at 9 points for second would be 360 points and they got 352 meaning just 8 voters selected them for 3rd instead (or someone really fell off their rocker and had them lower and they actually garnered more second place votes than 32/40).

Probably won't end up a 2 horse race, but that's the prevailing thought as of today at least.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Interestingly (to me at least) Indiana State was a near unanimous selection for 2nd. It would appear 40 voters at 9 points for second would be 360 points and they got 352 meaning just 8 voters selected them for 3rd instead (or someone really fell off their rocker and had them lower and they actually garnered more second place votes than 32/40).

Probably won't end up a 2 horse race, but that's the prevailing thought as of today at least.
                    If it is a two horse race then I really really like our horse,

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Was CU ever an at-large NCAA team?
                      Hmmmm... Think about that for a second, Aargh: if they weren't, they'd have had to win the Valley tournament in every one of those years of falling out of March Madness the first weekend. I don't think that happened, and I'm sure SIU fans longing for the good old days would be glad to remind us of the cases where it didn't.

Otherwise, excellent post overall on Creighton's lack of impact in terms of raising the valley's profile -- in fact, the only thing about them that actually raised the Valley's profile was Doug's individual success, and the Mac and Little Mac family story that enters its final chapter this year, just in time for Grant Gibbs to sign up for Social Security.

Comment

Maybe not, Doc -- if most pickers have WSU as a clear winner (say, 16-2 in league play), and IndSt as a clear second (say, 13-5) and everyone else bunched, with 11-7 or even 10-8 good enough to get into contention for third, that's not a two-horse race. It's a one horse race for first, a one-horse race for second, and a pack behind them.
                        Last edited by WSUwatcher; October 31, 2013, 07:42 PM. Reason: Correct typo in record

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          If it is a two horse race then I really really like our horse,
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

i'm picking uni above insu

uni will be an outstanding team, i believe.. above average. insu will be right there with them. 'shockers have to fight EVERY game.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                              i'm picking uni above insu
                              Any particular reason? Indiana State lost one complimentary player that transferred. UNI lost 3 starters that had been in the program for 15 combined years, and about 250 combined starts.

Comment

Any particular reason?
                                tuttle, their point guard, whatshisname, and jacobsen.

i've seen/read a couple of cbb magazines that pick uni second also. i agree with them. jacobsen teams are not flaky.

Comment

Working...
                                X