Preseason AP Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
    Sean Morrison with the Ft. Wayne Journal-Gazette has us at #15 also.

That gives us 14 voters (21.54% of the total AP voters), WSU is averaging 17.43 and has a total of 119 points.
    Last edited by shox1989; October 29, 2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

And our first moron voter of the season (it was inevitable): Doug Haller leaves us unranked.
      This moron hurts. That is 1 out of 15 voters giving WSU no points. If that average holds for the remaining 77% of the voters, WSU will end up unranked on 4 or 5 ballots. So far we now the votes of 23.08% of the total voters and WSU holds steady at 119 points. I am not sure how you figure out the average when you have an unranked ballot. If you count it as #26 it drops WSU average to 18.

For comparison's sake, in last season's AP pre-season poll the #25 team had 101 points. It's looking like WSU's chances of being in the top 25 of the AP pre-season poll are pretty much 100%. Even if all 50 of the remaining voters, left WSU off of their ballot (highly unlikely), the Shocks would probably still be #25. Now it is just a question of how high they will be ranked.
      Last edited by shox1989; October 29, 2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

And our first moron voter of the season (it was inevitable): Doug Haller leaves us unranked.
        Give him a break. He covers Arizona State basketball. He wouldn't know good basketball if it hit him in the face.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I noticed a couple of Shocker fans have already posted on his blog, asking "Where is Wichita State?".

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
            I noticed a couple of Shocker fans have already posted on his blog, asking "Where is Wichita State?".
            I'd be surprised if he knows enough to even answer that question in the geographical sense.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Wichita isn't a state . . . and they don't even have any witches!

Comment

kenPomranking

Shockers #40

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  Shockers #40

http://kenpom.com/
                  Kenpom doesn't think much of the Valley. WSU is #40, UNI is #97 and Indy St. is #98. But he does have Creighton at #13 (the best ranking of any Big East school). I wonder where he would rate WSU if the Shockers were in the Big East?

Comment

Kenpom doesn't think much of the Valley. WSU is #40, UNI is #97 and Indy St. is #98. But he does have Creighton at #13 (the best ranking of any Big East school). I wonder where he would rate WSU if the Shockers were in the Big East?
                    Probably the same.

Comment

Preseason rankings for statistics based systems are pretty much useless.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                        Preseason rankings for statistics based systems are pretty much useless.
                        And Ken Pomeroy pretty much agrees: "When I first started doing these before the 2011 season, I thought I was pretty awesome. It was kind of a big deal to get every team’s lineup data, mix in some limited recruiting info, and produce a rating that wasn’t laughably horrible. But then Hanner came along with his lineup-based approach and TeamRankings did something that is probably fairly sophisticated, and my preseason ratings became the simplest algorithm possible without being a complete joke."

Comment

Where did we start out last year on ol' Kenny's ratings?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Where did we start out last year on ol' Kenny's ratings?
                            Here's an article from a year ago. It said we were No 46.

If you have been looking into the computer rankings released this week, Wichita State's marks might have stood out to you. We are leaning toward the lower end of the projections, but a lot depends on how you look at transfers.

Comment

Fletcher Mackel has us at #10.

Rick Bozich puts WSU at #17.

Comment

Also, I do not know if Dick Vitale is an AP voter again this season...but here is his preseason top 25 (updated on Oct 11). Seems safe to assume we'd have the same spot on his official ballot.

Dickie V- #19

Comment

Working...
                                X