Preseason AP Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason AP Poll

This doesn't come out until Halloween, but some voters are publishing their ballots already and I thought it'd be fun to see how we're stacking up.

Mike Barber (Richmond Times Dispatch)- #17
    Cormac Gordon (Staten Island Advance)- #16
    Jon Wilner (San Jose Mercury News)- #8
    Brett Strelow (Fayetteville Observer)- #19
    David Borges (New Haven Register)- #24
    Seth Emerson (Macon Telegraph)- #15
    Randy Rosetta (New Orleans Times Picayune)- #24
    Geoff Grammer (Albuquerque Journal)- #18
    Marcus Jackson (East Central Illinois News Gazette)- #24
    Dave Southorn (Idaho Statesman)- #19

I'm sure there are others who have released their lists that I'm missing, but we've got an average of 18.4 among these guys.

For fun and worth nothing- last season when we achieved our highest ranking of #15 in the AP Poll, we were ranked by 62 of 65 voters. Among those 62 voters, our average slot was 15.98. I am sure someone more mathematically oriented than I on this site could figure out a way to weight the three voters who did not rank us.

It looks like we are in excellent shape to place within a spot of our place in the Coaches Poll if this sample is at all representative.

I'm officially a Jon Wilner fan.

So um, go San Jose Sharks also.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
      For fun and worth nothing- last season when we achieved our highest ranking of #15 in the AP Poll, we were ranked by 62 of 65 voters. Among those 62 voters, our average slot was 15.98. I am sure someone more mathematically oriented than I on this site could figure out a way to weight the three voters who did not rank us.
      If you count the 3 voters that had us unranked as putting us as #26, it would move the average to 16.4, but obviously those 3 voters might have considered WSU to be worse than #26 so that isn't a perfect estimate.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

We will be a lot better than 17, 15. It won't be surprising, at least to us, but we will be better than last year overall. Final Four tickets are in order.
        Last edited by shock; October 25, 2013, 10:40 AM.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

This doesn't come out until Halloween, but some voters are publishing their ballots already and I thought it'd be fun to see how we're stacking up.

Mike Barber (Richmond Times Dispatch)- #17
          Cormac Gordon (Staten Island Advance)- #16
          Jon Wilner (San Jose Mercury News)- #8
          Brett Strelow (Fayetteville Observer)- #19
          David Borges (New Haven Register)- #24
          Seth Emerson (Macon Telegraph)- #15
          Randy Rosetta (New Orleans Times Picayune)- #24
          Geoff Grammer (Albuquerque Journal)- #18
          Marcus Jackson (East Central Illinois News Gazette)- #24
          Dave Southorn (Idaho Statesman)- #19

I'm sure there are others who have released their lists that I'm missing, but we've got an average of 18.4 among these guys.

It looks like we are in excellent shape to place within a spot of our place in the Coaches Poll if this sample is at all representative.
          Thank you! This is a great sample size. If they have 65 voters again, this is 15.3% of the total votes.

Comment

Looks like Jerry Carino has us at #15.

Comment

Looks like Jerry Carino has us at #15.
              That is great. We now know 16.9% of the votes in the AP Poll. And the Shockers average place is 18.09 amongst this group of 11 voters.
              Last edited by shox1989; October 25, 2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Gonna have a chat with Randy tomorrow.

Comment

Seth Davis has us at #15

Comment

Jon Wilner = genius
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

We now have the votes of 18.4% of the AP poll voters and WSU is averaging 17.83. Chances of WSU being in the AP pre-season top 25 poll are looking really, really good!

The Shockers have already accumulated 98 points from these 12 voters. In the final poll from last year, 98 points would have been good enough for 27th place. It shouldn't take too many more votes from the remaining 53 voters to guarantee the Shockers a place in the top 25.
                      Last edited by shox1989; October 29, 2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Chris Dachille has us at #16:

Comment

That gives us 20% of the AP votes. The Shocks are averaging 17.69 and have 108 total points so far.
                          Last edited by shox1989; October 29, 2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Sean Morrison with the Ft. Wayne Journal-Gazette has us at #15 also.

Comment

And our first moron voter of the season (it was inevitable): Doug Haller leaves us unranked.

Comment

Working...
                              X