NCAA Basketball Attendance 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Complain all you want, but WSU does the same thing. We use tickets sold, not tickets used.
    Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
    Let's me honest. Both are padded but the Shockers always have had a mostly full arena (barring top half student section) compared a half full arena. Not the same fan effect. Ours would only have 4-5,000 used seats to equal their situation. However, the accounting is done the same way.
    Very well. I stand corrected.
    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

We can sit here and argue over lots of things that we wish the renovated CKA had but I think we can all agree that the facility we have is awsome. New locker rooms, a practice facility, student support facilities, bathrooms on the main level, new weight room, and new athletic/ticket offices. The building that houses all of these new things has clean lines and looks modern. Color me proud for what we have.

Comment

Idea to improve student section:

Is the practice gym used for anything pregame? I remember being a hungry college kid. A free meal AND a free ticket to the game would be extremely hard to refuse. Get sponsors to set up tables, or university food service (does WSU even have that anymore) and feed them in the gym. They get numbers as they show up to enter to get seats.

Just a thought, and a lot of money.

Comment

Getting WSU students to turn out in large numbers has ALWAYS (and by always I mean since the late 70s...that's my always) been a battle.

At least today we have social media as a way to get through to them.

The PHPF is used for SASO (I'm pretty sure) during home games. Not sure if you could use another part of it for the students, but I for one am ALL FOR doing anything to increase student attendance.

As enjoyable as home games are, they're about 100% better with a full compliment of engaged students. Not saying the 400 regulars don't bring the lumber, but 1200 > 400.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Getting WSU students to turn out in large numbers has ALWAYS (and by always I mean since the late 70s...that's my always) been a battle.

The PHPF is used for SASO (I'm pretty sure) during home games. Not sure if you could use another part of it for the students, but I for one am ALL FOR doing anything to increase student attendance.

As enjoyable as home games are, they're about 100% better with a full compliment of engaged students. Not saying the 400 regulars don't bring the lumber, but 1200 > 400.
            the upside of PHPH being already spoken for, the students could be "fed" at a nearby pub andget pumped up for the game.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

1. Volleyball 101 was great, as always. Elizabeth Field and others are optimistic about the upcoming season. :good:

2. Koch Arena needs to hold more people. Adding Skyboxes above row 34 and making the ceiling smaller in an appropriate manner might not substantially affect acoustics. Of course, this might cost a bit ($20M-30M ?) but the ability to rent out some of the boxes for special events might help build the base. Imagine having a wedding at CKA before a huge game. :D Or a (Shocker) family reunion. :victorious: Imagine putting corporate seats in Skyboxes and letting actual fans sit in the first ten (or so) rows.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The fact that the actual fans are above corporate is not a bad thing. However, it would be nice to have those extra 1000. I think that the padding the corporate seats provides adds to the feeling of the fans being right on top of you.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

This may sound stupid, but would it be possible to hang some skyboxes from the roof above rows 27-34 at midcourt on both sides? Not more than two or three on each side. Im sure they could make it look decent and I would think there is enough room.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I was around the Round House from 79-83. Student tickets were reserved seats up a little ways from the opponents bench. You bought a season ticket and could by a "student guest" ticket. That person could only get in with a student with a WSU ID. That section rocked and was sold out early. There were no single game tickets available in that area. I just don't understand students not using free tickets except if they are out of towners over breaks. We had large groups (fraternities, clubs, sororities, major clubs, crew team) that were there every game. We let the others know if they were weak in attendance or even left early. Hopefully this season will make it more of priority for some of these groups. Geez...you really need a free meal to see a Final Four Team....We just had to hit Drink or Drown at The College Inn prior to tip off!
                    Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Originally posted by Metalkatz View Post
                      This may sound stupid, but would it be possible to hang some skyboxes from the roof above rows 27-34 at midcourt on both sides? Not more than two or three on each side. Im sure they could make it look decent and I would think there is enough room.
                      Maybe at one point, but not anymore. I remember reading that the new scoreboard puts the roof within 1000 lbs of its max load capacity...
                      Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                      Students > Alumni
                      If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                      The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Then maybe it's time to redo the roof and strengthen its capacity while adding seating/boxes at the top.

And lets be honest, getting some of the corporate seats moved to boxes would be great for everyone.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow View Post
                          Maybe at one point, but not anymore. I remember reading that the new scoreboard puts the roof within 1000 lbs of its max load capacity...
                          So if a stray cow wanders up on the roof outside during the game, we might be in big trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by The 'hut View Post
                            I was around the Round House from 79-83. Student tickets were reserved seats up a little ways from the opponents bench. You bought a season ticket and could by a "student guest" ticket. That person could only get in with a student with a WSU ID. That section rocked and was sold out early. There were no single game tickets available in that area. I just don't understand students not using free tickets except if they are out of towners over breaks. We had large groups (fraternities, clubs, sororities, major clubs, crew team) that were there every game. We let the others know if they were weak in attendance or even left early. Hopefully this season will make it more of priority for some of these groups. Geez...you really need a free meal to see a Final Four Team....We just had to hit Drink or Drown at The College Inn prior to tip off!
                            Yes, those were the days my friend (@The 'hut:), however times have changed; the College Inn is 'long gone' and students don't have a nearby pre-game watering hole like we did. I still say give them a 'free meal' and find pre-game sponsors. Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Godfathers (are they still in business?); Taco Tico (didn't they fail to pay taxes?); Olive Garden, Chester's Chophouse (Ha!), Abuelo's, Red Robbin, Subway, Jason's Deli, Panera Bread, Carlos O'Kelly's, Freddy's, Spangles (gag me!), Nu-Way (Hey, crumbly's good!), Mickey D's, BK, etc, etc... these and other businesses would line-up to sponsor pre-game meals for students. What they spend as free-food sponsors would come back quickly.

You give me something FREE with a decent value and I'll be a long-time customer. Marketing 101; there's also 101 reasons to stay at home... give students another reason to attend (and bond) beyond the product on the floor.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                              So if a stray cow wanders up on the roof outside during the game, we might be in big trouble.
                              Funny thought, but on a serious note, that max capacity probably includes a factor of safety of 3 or so. Not sure what regs are on buildings like that.
                              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                                Funny thought, but on a serious note, that max capacity probably includes a factor of safety of 3 or so. Not sure what regs are on buildings like that.
                                I sure hope they allowed for a couple of feet of snow and used WSU engineering graduates . :)
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X