Game Thread Shox vs Evansville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockeriffic View Post
    I hate complaining about the refs but I want this explained to me. Why did the officials have to pull Colt Ryan aside and warn him about his play after they just gave him the foul call when he dove at Orupke's feet? I guess they thought a warning is a better way to punish a player over actually calling a foul on him.
    Couldn't agree more. So tired of the golden boy treatment annointed players get. (ie ryan, funk, sow, anyone in a chicken hawk uniform)

Comment

• Thought Demetric tried to do a little too much on senior night. That's understandable but it cost us.
      Tekele did a good job on Ryan in the second half.
      We executed poorly on offense our last few possessions.
      I thought the ball should have went to Early for the final shot, he seems to be the clutch guy.
      It was a great comeback after being down at the half. There were some really exciting plays.
      I thought FVV had another good game, he is very special.
      Tough night overall for the seniors but this isn't the last game of the season. Still time to go out and play well.
      Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• I didn't figure we'd end the regular season without one more loss. I'd rather us lose this one and win it all in Omaha on Saturday than vice versa. That game will be the start of another long winning streak.

Oh, and anyone saying we're going to the NIT because of this loss is out of your f**king mind. You're delusional and full of crap. Seriously, seek mental help.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          Oh well, we lost to a Horizon League caliber team, it happens. I'm actually not too afraid of Creighton's game. They're struggling really bad right now, and if the Shox were finishing the season in the fashion CU is, well, I'm glad they aren't.

The perfect storm has occurred, and it's rather fitting that CU and WSU will be playing for all the marbles this weekend.
          Well, I agree with this.

Comment

• A VERY disappointing game, but talk of NIT is absurd. Almost as absurd as getting swept by a .500 team.

Comment

• Well allow me to retort...

Originally posted by garylee View Post
              cotton played ryan well but ryan just abused DW.
              Even after Cotton got back to back fouls guarding Ryan I was shocked coach had DW guarding Ryan. Those two defensive misses were the difference that made all the difference.

Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
              Colt Ryan was unstoppable, and managed to not foul anyone the entire game. He was truly amazing.
              Ryan was not unstoppable. Cotton stopped the hell out of him and it got us the lead. He fouled many people many times but just wasn't called for it. He was not amazing. He was wide open in the first half and got his then. He was human in the second half when someone played good D on him. He had a great game, but not amazing. No. No. Hell no.

Originally posted by ShockMe300 View Post
              Wasn't Paul Janssen one of the referees in this game? How does a previously disciplined official end up officiating an important game like this? Especially when that disciplined official was disciplined from a game involving one of the teams? It would seem to me that he would probably have a bit of a grudge against that team? Not saying he was the cause of the loss, but it sure seems fishy. Cue McDonald's commercial. Fishy fishay...
              So much this. One of the reasons we had so many misses from down low after getting good rebound is because the guys were shooting with an Evansville player holding them down. But I was shocked to find out he was there.

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
              Thought Demetric tried to do a little too much on senior night. That's understandable but it cost us.
              DW and others. So many turnovers were stupid because they were trying too hard -- they were forcing it. For example, why this late in the year is anyone making a bullet pass to EO? That blows my mind but speaks of trying too hard and getting caught up in the moment. Do this at CU and I'll die of alcohol poisoning.

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
              WTF does Hall only get 5 shots while our guards are shitting themselves?
              It would be hard for him to get shots when the balls are getting passed 4 feet above his head at 80mph. Also hard for him to get the ball when he gets pulled to the ground but I guess that is a no call?

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              guys, we're 24-6. We're still getting in the tourney. This game was pathetic but by no means were we on the bubble.
              We are 24-6 now. If we go 24-8, we are not in. Two 3 gaming losing streaks? One at the end of the year two what would be another 2 bad teams? That is outside looking in. Period.

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
              +1. We just need to win Saturday and all is forgiven. And we are going to win the Lou this year.
              I'm all for that but no, not all will be forgiven. When I'm an old man and y'all are older men and we are sitting around the bar in 2033 talking about the 2013 shockers the conversation could be "Remember when we finally broke it open in StL? Man that team was good. But damn it, they still got swept but Evansville. How is it that Marty always gave HCGM such trouble?" It will take something insane happening in the Dance for this to be forgiven. You don't lose on Senior night and on the coach's birthday to Evansville and get forgiven. We aren't a Catholic school where a hail mary and a glory be will wipe the slate clean.

Now, for some thoughts on my own.

Where was our crowd in the last 8 minutes?
              When we took the lead it happened with the roof being raised. We rattled Evansville as a crowd. It showed. Two straight dunks. A 3 for the lead. Yet even when Colt busted DW's ankles and made his basket to get to 2, the crowd was down. When we were getting steamrolled in the first half the crowd kept getting up, trying to will the shox on. By the end of the game it was like we were out of gas. I couldn't get 120 to stand up. The lady on the isle in 120 that normally gets everyone on her feet wasn't raising the roof. We needed to be DEAFENING from 4 minutes to 0:00. Yes, I know we had little to get excited about going 1/13. It doesn't matter. An extra stop/turnover + fast break would have made the difference. The crowd was good in the 1st half when the shox were bad. We were great in getting them in front. We were awful in the last 8.

Finally, where the hell is my beer?

Comment

• I have one thing to say . . .

PHOOEEEY

There, I said it and I feel much better. I'm now ready for the Shocks to get a win in Omaha. One thing I know is that we will not be playing suburban H-O-R-S-E on Saturday.

#WatchUs Get a Xavier McDaniel #GetAngry on for Saturday.
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• My basic thoughts:

1. We couldn't possibly have had a worse scenario going from Detroit to Evansville on senior night. One game was loose, flowing, and fun. The other was the reason why MVC basketball is practically unwatchable: one man hero ball, slow down defense, grinding, etc. Our seniors came out so tight that they just couldn't make shots.

2. Unforced Turnovers were a huge part of the problem. We have 13 TOs, and Evansville only had 1 steal. 12 of those TOs were simply bad passes, miscommunication, and simple bad basketball.

3. Only one player wanted to score in the last 8 minutes: Carl Hall. The other players were so afraid to shoot or try anything that they were more willing to throw the ball away trying to get it to him instead of doing something themselves.

4. We need to beat Creighton. That game will be huge. Valley title on the line, and I honestly think the loser will have to win the tournament to get an at-large.

5. In a way, this is good for us. It refocuses us, and makes the Creighton game a must win. We are pretty good in those. We are horrible against bad teams. I almost believe that it is good that we will likely be a 9+ seed in the tournament, because I feel we are made to get upset. We don't have a good loss this year, and I don't like us playing as the team that should win. We rely so much on effort that coming out with anything less than an underdog's fanaticism means a probable loss.

Comment

• My 8-year-old had this question. Why is that when I get so excited about something good happening for WSU - it never happens!

I didn't have much of an answer. It does seem like every time I sell out and put the flags on the vehicle and do nutty fan kinda stuff like that, it's the kiss of death.

Good night cruel world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                      Even after Cotton got back to back fouls guarding Ryan I was shocked coach had DW guarding Ryan. Those two defensive misses were the difference that made all the difference.

Ryan was not unstoppable. Cotton stopped the hell out of him and it got us the lead. He fouled many people many times but just wasn't called for it. He was not amazing. He was wide open in the first half and got his then. He was human in the second half when someone played good D on him. He had a great game, but not amazing. No. No. Hell no.

So much this. One of the reasons we had so many misses from down low after getting good rebound is because the guys were shooting with an Evansville player holding them down. But I was shocked to find out he was there.

DW and others. So many turnovers were stupid because they were trying too hard -- they were forcing it. For example, why this late in the year is anyone making a bullet pass to EO? That blows my mind but speaks of trying too hard and getting caught up in the moment. Do this at CU and I'll die of alcohol poisoning.

It would be hard for him to get shots when the balls are getting passed 4 feet above his head at 80mph. Also hard for him to get the ball when he gets pulled to the ground but I guess that is a no call?

We are 24-6 now. If we go 24-8, we are not in. Two 3 gaming losing streaks? One at the end of the year two what would be another 2 bad teams? That is outside looking in. Period.

I'm all for that but no, not all will be forgiven. When I'm an old man and y'all are older men and we are sitting around the bar in 2033 talking about the 2013 shockers the conversation could be "Remember when we finally broke it open in StL? Man that team was good. But damn it, they still got swept but Evansville. How is it that Marty always gave HCGM such trouble?" It will take something insane happening in the Dance for this to be forgiven. You don't lose on Senior night and on the coach's birthday to Evansville and get forgiven. We aren't a Catholic school where a hail mary and a glory be will wipe the slate clean.

Now, for some thoughts on my own.

Where was our crowd in the last 8 minutes?
                      When we took the lead it happened with the roof being raised. We rattled Evansville as a crowd. It showed. Two straight dunks. A 3 for the lead. Yet even when Colt busted DW's ankles and made his basket to get to 2, the crowd was down. When we were getting steamrolled in the first half the crowd kept getting up, trying to will the shox on. By the end of the game it was like we were out of gas. I couldn't get 120 to stand up. The lady on the isle in 120 that normally gets everyone on her feet wasn't raising the roof. We needed to be DEAFENING from 4 minutes to 0:00. Yes, I know we had little to get excited about going 1/13. It doesn't matter. An extra stop/turnover + fast break would have made the difference. The crowd was good in the 1st half when the shox were bad. We were great in getting them in front. We were awful in the last 8.

Finally, where the hell is my beer?

Rosewood - on my comment...check your sarcasm meter, it's out of whack. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                        I like how we get a call that sends orupke to the line when MA hits a trey.

Of course.
                        That proved to be a bit costly this game, eh?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                          My 8-year-old had this question. Why is that when I get so excited about something good happening for WSU - it never happens!

I didn't have much of an answer. It does seem like every time I sell out and put the flags on the vehicle and do nutty fan kinda stuff like that, it's the kiss of death.

Good night cruel world.
                          No kidding. This one really hurts.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock10 View Post
                            Teams that finish second in the valley go to the nit
                            sCUm finished where last year?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                              My basic thoughts:

1. We couldn't possibly have had a worse scenario going from Detroit to Evansville on senior night. One game was loose, flowing, and fun. The other was the reason why MVC basketball is practically unwatchable: one man hero ball, slow down defense, grinding, etc. Our seniors came out so tight that they just couldn't make shots.

2. Unforced Turnovers were a huge part of the problem. We have 13 TOs, and Evansville only had 1 steal. 12 of those TOs were simply bad passes, miscommunication, and simple bad basketball.

3. Only one player wanted to score in the last 8 minutes: Carl Hall. The other players were so afraid to shoot or try anything that they were more willing to throw the ball away trying to get it to him instead of doing something themselves.

4. We need to beat Creighton. That game will be huge. Valley title on the line, and I honestly think the loser will have to win the tournament to get an at-large.

5. In a way, this is good for us. It refocuses us, and makes the Creighton game a must win. We are pretty good in those. We are horrible against bad teams. I almost believe that it is good that we will likely be a 9+ seed in the tournament, because I feel we are made to get upset. We don't have a good loss this year, and I don't like us playing as the team that should win. We rely so much on effort that coming out with anything less than an underdog's fanaticism means a probable loss.
                              #3 is a problem, as it was during our 3 game slide. We need to get the ball into Carl, but it is even more difficult when we refuse to take an open shot with 15-20 seconds on the shot clock just to settle for a ball screen with 5 seconds on the shot clock. When we shoot that open shot with confidence, it helps open up the inside (even if they don't all go in). We turn down too many "decent shots" halfway through the shot clock while trying to force it inside. Take a few of those (and I believe we would make our fair share if we did it with confidence) and we cut down on our turnovers and make it easier to get the ball inside later. After all, aren't we a good offensive rebounding team. Take the shot and get position for the rebound.

Comment

• Well, got swept by EU. Playing for a freaking Valley title still but did we really just get swept by.. EVANSVILLE? That right there stings more than anything else we've experienced in a while. If we're in the 1990's Toilet Bowl, you DON'T GET SWEPT by EVANSVILLE. Period.

Anyways, D-Will had a lot of emotion pregame. It almost brought a tear to my eye. It obviously carried over into the game. One of the worst performances I've seen from him. Very shitty and very bad timing on Senior Night.

The turnover situation was amazing. How many dumbass turnovers did we have? Dumbass feeds into the post or passes to the 3rd row of Koch Arena? I mean, that is terrible. We were just giving possessions away. I've never seen a more poorly passing game than that one. You will not win games doing something that fundamentally wrong in basketball.

I truly thought when we grabbed the lead midway through the second half, that it was over. I thought this is a team of champions and we were gonna send EU where they belong. Crowd was crazy. Momentum was surging. Then, we tightened up. Stupid shots. Offense went to shits. We continued to get stop after stop, but we didn't want to come back and win. Absolutely frustrating.

The last 30 seconds of play reminded me of several grinder games in the past few years. The Missouri State game comes to mind when I think we had the exact same score of 59-56 trailing in 2011. We got stop after stop but choked it up when coming back. We panicked like we had to go for a freaking 3 pointer every time when we didn't have to. That last play with Carl was just an abortion. Reminded me of Stutz, of all people, getting last second 3-point tries in the games against Illinios State and VCU last year. WTF was the play call there? WOW.

This team is still playing for a Valley title. But it's mind-boggling how low of an IQ and execution level they perform at times. Imagine if this team didn't turn the ball over 15 times a game and had an average IQ level. They'd probably be 29-0 right now and ranked No. 1 in the country.

Very embarrassed. I feel for the seniors but they didn't really help themselves much tonight. I also thought Marty outcoached Marshall pretty easily yet AGAIN. Very frustrating. Hopefully the team comes out pissed in 3 days.

And to the idiots who think we're in the NIT, you guys are obviously loose cannons and haven't been watching college basketball at all this year. Yah, it's a sucky loss, but we're still dancing. We lock it in with a win Saturday. If we lose, we need to a win a game or two in St. Louis to feel comfortable. The bubble is incredibly soft this year.

Ugh.
                                Last edited by ShockerFever; February 28, 2013, 12:08 AM.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X