This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoShox117

With that said, you should agree that the "fans" at Koch arena are a joke.
    I think you should stop before you end up saying something really dumb...oops... nevermind, too late.
    KU fans are the most arrogant while KSU fans are the most delusional. ~BostonWu
    Criticizing this team is like criticizing one of Jerry's kids. ~DaShox

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
      Complaining about the crowd at Koch is like a Patriots fan complaining that they don't win by more.

Instead of posting whiny rants, why don't you pray for the health of this team?
      That actually makes no sense.

Instead of saying something stupid, think about it next time.
      I'm sorry you don't possess the intellectual ability to understand my post.

These people may be able to help: http://tutoring.sylvanlearning.com/
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
        Wichita fans do sit on their hands a lot. Koch Arena was quiet tonight.

Big Whoop.

We don't have a football team because everyone in this town is already a fan of someone else, and isn't going to freeze their butt off to watch a D I-AA team go 6-6 when they could be watching the Big 12 from their couch at home. We don't have a pro team because, let's face it, we're too small. Neither the NFL or AFL will consider us, and AFL2 and our other leagues aren't catchy enough for fans.

We DO have a baseball team. The *shudder* Wingnuts will fare better than the Wranglers because the Wingnuts have different goals. The Wingnuts are here to win. The Wranglers were here to produce a second baseman and a #3 starter for the Royals.

As for fan support today, yeah it was dead. Guess what? It was the second day of classes! I was exhausted after school today, but I still came. Guess what else? Fans don't like watching losses...

As for bandwagon WSU baseball fans, there's nothing wrong with that. I was unable to attend a lot of WSU baseball as a kid because of scheduling. Now that I'm a student, I'll attend more. But, I sure as hell won't blame fans for attending the Super Regional when they missed the games in February. Kansas sucks that time of year. IT'S COLD! A GA seat in that weather? No fun.

But hey, next year, let's toss out the bandwagoners. The NCAA will NEVER give us another regional. EVER. On TV, Louisville regional was lucky to have 3000 people for a final with Louisville playing. We had 3000 there for Oral Roberts vs. Arizona. Yeah, let's throw out the people who put us on the map....

As for successful sports, go watch the NBC World Series. Do Baseball Round The Clock. Serious fun, and Wichita eats it up. Why? Because, it's special and a good product.

EDIT: wu_shizzle's post makes a lot of sense actually. Koch ROCKS on a good night. Tonight was our crowd's equivilant of the Patriots-Ravens game, still good, but kinda weak...
        Great reply.

Couple of things...

1. Agree with you on the new baseball teams name. My Grandpa worked in aircraft all his life, never once used a wingnut.

2. "Guess what? It was the second day of classes! I was exhausted after school today, but I still came." Student section was going nuts, what happened to everyone else? STUDENT section.

3. Wranglers left because of attendance. Other cities, much smaller and closer to big league teams, have great attendance, even if their players leave.

4. Success has nothing to do with this.

Comment

All righty then....enough with the dog pile on GoShox117. I appreciate his passion, but I don't want him to feel that he has been ostracized in Shockernet. Come back to us GoShox, you can do it. Here kitty, kitty.

Comment

Originally posted by mproviz

With that said, you should agree that the "fans" at Koch arena are a joke.
            I think you should stop before you end up saying something really dumb...oops... nevermind, too late.
            You chose that response, to which the person I was talking to agreed with me, to say that? Talk about dumb...

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
              All righty then....enough with the dog pile on GoShox117. I appreciate his passion, but I don't want him to feel that he has been ostracized in Shockernet. Come back to us GoShox, you can do it. Here kitty, kitty.
              Haha, I love going back and forth with you. We're not so different you and I. Let's keep it up.

By the way, funny how the staff deletes my image and not yours... Real cool shockernet.

Here it is again, still don't understand why it was deleted...

**** Image removed by staff, again ****

Comment

Great reply.

Couple of things...

1. Agree with you on the new baseball teams name. My Grandpa worked in aircraft all his life, never once used a wingnut.

2. "Guess what? It was the second day of classes! I was exhausted after school today, but I still came." Student section was going nuts, what happened to everyone else? STUDENT section.

3. Wranglers left because of attendance. Other cities, much smaller and closer to big league teams, have great attendance, even if their players leave.

1. I voted for the Dust Devils.
                2. Student section wasn't full, and a good chunk of it was pretty quiet. We're guilty too. Also, consider the weather. The cold stings quite a bit, and combined with a crappy record, and a few early quieting moments, the crowd's tempo was dictated by UNI at the start.
                3. Attendance is tied to success. The bottom of the Texas League is boring. They went somewhere where people don't have an alternative, better, team within a 15-minute drive. The Wingnuts will have better attendance, as their sole objective is winning. They can't define success by one great shortstop on a team of cripples with bad eyes and broken wrists.
                4. Success has EVERYTHING to do with it in this town....
                Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                Students > Alumni
                If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Great reply.

Couple of things...

1. I voted for the Dust Devils.
                  2. Student section wasn't full, and a good chunk of it was pretty quiet. We're guilty too. Also, consider the weather. The cold stings quite a bit, and combined with a crappy record, and a few early quieting moments, the crowd's tempo was dictated by UNI at the start.
                  3. Attendance is tied to success. The bottom of the Texas League is boring. They went somewhere where people don't have an alternative, better, team within a 15-minute drive. The Wingnuts will have better attendance, as their sole objective is winning. They can't define success by one great shortstop on a team of cripples with bad eyes and broken wrists.
                  4. Success has EVERYTHING to do with it in this town....
                  1. Dust Devils would have been great.

2. Once again, I wasn't talking about attendance (in the case of the basketball game tonight), I was talking about noise. Student section was loud.

3. Wranglers won the Texas league east division on 2006. 77-62 Still didn't bring out a crowd.

4. It shouldn't

Comment

2. Once again, I wasn't talking about attendance (in the case of the basketball game tonight), I was talking about noise. Student section was loud.

3. Wranglers won the Texas league east division on 2006. 77-62 Still didn't bring out a crowd.

4. It shouldn't
                    1. (done. Moving to 2)

2. Once again, it was cold, on a Wednesday, in a bad losing streak. Personally though, I think the biggest factor in the crowd performance was the first few minutes of the game. Every time we had something to get excited about, UNI killed it. If we could have gotten one more stop, or one more early trey, it might have been different...

3. What were their last 5 records? Also, winning half the league doesn't matter much. Who will remember, outside of Tennessee fans, that they won half the SEC this year? How many Super Bowl losers do you remember? The Texas League is much smaller and less publicized than the SEC or NFL....

4. But success does matter, therefore the point is not moot. If WSU had won 10 games after the plane crash even half of the seasons, we'd still have football...
                    Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                    Students > Alumni
                    If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                    The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

4. It shouldn't
                      1. (done. Moving to 2)

2. Once again, it was cold, on a Wednesday, in a bad losing streak. Personally though, I think the biggest factor in the crowd performance was the first few minutes of the game. Every time we had something to get excited about, UNI killed it. If we could have gotten one more stop, or one more early trey, it might have been different...

3. What were their last 5 records? Also, winning half the league doesn't matter much. Who will remember, outside of Tennessee fans, that they won half the SEC this year? How many Super Bowl losers do you remember? The Texas League is much smaller and less publicized than the SEC or NFL....

4. But success does matter, therefore the point is not moot. If WSU had won 10 games after the plane crash even half of the seasons, we'd still have football...
                      2. Since we've moved passed the fact that we're not talking about general attendance, you're telling me that the weather outside a heated arena has something to do with fan enthusiasm within?!? We led most of the first half, Couisnard's dunk, JT's 3 and dunk, and RC's dunk, along with GM and GH's three's should have got the crowd fired up.

3. The Wrangler's national publicity can't compare with the NFL. I can name a lot of Super bowl losers, but that's not the point. Wichitans should have supported that team.

4. I'm not saying the point is moot. But as a fan, success shouldn't matter. If you're a fan, you're a fan, plain and simple. Cheer for the good, accept the bad, hope for the best. If you're not a fan, don't sit there and pretend to be, not cheering and looking like you just woke up (which is the main point of this topic).

Comment

4. It shouldn't
                        1. (done. Moving to 2)

2. Since we've moved passed the fact that we're not talking about general attendance, you're telling me that the weather outside a heated arena has something to do with fan enthusiasm within?!? We led most of the first half, Couisnard's dunk, JT's 3 and dunk, and RC's dunk, along with GM and GH's three's should have got the crowd fired up.

3. The Wrangler's national publicity can't compare with the NFL. I can name a lot of Super bowl losers, but that's not the point. Wichitans should have supported that team.

4. I'm not saying the point is moot. But as a fan, success shouldn't matter. If you're a fan, you're a fan, plain and simple. Cheer for the good, accept the bad, hope for the best. If you're not a fan, don't sit there and pretend to be, not cheering and looking like you just woke up (which is the main point of this topic).
                        2. Yes the weather did. Cold and wind sap energy, especially when you consider parking. I showed up around 5, and parked past Corbin, by the soccer field. I was freezing when I got in. Took me a while to warm back up. Older people have a harder time with it.
                        As for those events, they did raise the crowd, but they scored first. That's always a crowd killer. They had something to answer all those big events, either a big defensive stop, or something like an easy layup or trey. Also, we did not take a lead in at halftime, and suffered some real droughts in the second half. Then, when we had game changers, we shot ourselves in the foot with a mistake or they did something like hit a trey...

3. I don't blame Wichita for not supporting the Wranglers. Will I miss them? Yes. I cried after their final game. I grew up in Lawrence-Dumont. But, the Wranglers were not here for Wichita. They were here for the Royals. Wichita would define a successful season as a championship, or spectacular season. The Wranglers could define a successful season as one where they sent one good player up the pipe, regardless of record. The Wranglers had success in their own eyes, not Wichita's. Should we have gone out and cheered? Of course, but that will be easier with the new team, because they come to win. Mark my words, if the Wingnuts come only for profit, and forget about trying to win, Wichita will forget them...

4. I agree with this in part, but as I was sitting in the Regional, hearing the crowd chant Banwart's name, I didn't get the vibe of a bunch of bandwagoners. Same with the Super Regional, which could have rivaled Koch Arena at the bottom of those games for sheer decibel level. Face it, we're prone to bandwagons. Not as many people attend WSU as a bigger school like KWho or KFake, so die hard fans are harder to come by. Personally, you can't really judge WSU Baseball for bandwagonocity, mostly because of bad weather. As for the basketball team, face it, some of the bandwagon people are the loudest. It's the 75-year old season ticket holder since 1950 who doesn't holler, not the 20-something at the back who is attending because the Shocks are on a run and he was in the mood for a basketball game...

This debate has been fun, but I have class tomorrow, so I'm off. I'll try to reply to a reply in the morning if you wish to keep this up...
                        Students > Alumni

Comment

You people outside of the student section may pack the house.
                          but its cause u spent good money on those seats.
                          Not to cheer.
                          You come to watch your stock portfolio unfold.
                          Typically me and people in the student section

get upset about how people outside it only cheer when we dunk.
                          Tonight,
                          Not even dunking over a guy could get a stock broker out of his seat.

Sit down...
                          Watch JERRY MCGUIRE.
                          and show some heart.

THis team doesnt need you guys to stand when they dunk. AND FANS DIDNT EVEN DO THAT TONIGHT...

This team needs. fans to cheer when we are down and out.

But enjoy your stock portfolio.
                          cause when fans act like they did tonight.
                          Thats really all it is.

Utterly Dissapointed in the "shocker faithful"

and its pretty bad when even our coach has to wave for the fans to get up.
                          "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                          CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

My hat is off to all the loyal Shocker fans. 90 to 95% shows great fan support for a team that is struggling as bad as the Shockers are.

Comment

Why do so many fans leave before the game is over? People who come to the game (I won't use the word "fan" for these folks) consistantly leave, no matter the score or situation, before the game is over. It is not that difficult to get out of the parking lot. I realize they have to get home before the 10 o'clock news, but it drives me freaking crazy to see this happen, i know the opposing team love to see it, and the Shocks get a bit deflated to see this happen. Way to go, you loyal "people who go to the game"!

The thing about a season like this, is it weeds out the "people who go to the game" and finds out who the true Shocker fans are.

Comment

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
                                You people outside of the student section may pack the house.
                                but its cause u spent good money on those seats.
                                Not to cheer.
                                You come to watch your stock portfolio unfold.
                                Typically me and people in the student section

get upset about how people outside it only cheer when we dunk.
                                Tonight,
                                Not even dunking over a guy could get a stock broker out of his seat.

Sit down...
                                Watch JERRY MCGUIRE.
                                and show some heart.

THis team doesnt need you guys to stand when they dunk. AND FANS DIDNT EVEN DO THAT TONIGHT...

This team needs. fans to cheer when we are down and out.

But enjoy your stock portfolio.
                                cause when fans act like they did tonight.
                                Thats really all it is.

Utterly Dissapointed in the "shocker faithful"

and its pretty bad when even our coach has to wave for the fans to get up.
                                All this coming from the "perfect fan"

Comment

Working...
                                X