X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
    If we don't win this game I'm gonna need 5 shots
    Win or lose I recommend doing 5 shots!
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

con

IMHO, the Shockers look their absolute best when they are pushing the tempo. When they take their energy up to 11, it feels like they start pushing the other team into turnnover after turnover and getting good shot after good shot. However, they also tend to make mistake when they go too fast (EDIT: much like I did when typing this), and their best wins have all been grinds (VCU, Southern Miss, and Creighton).

In the end, this game should be closer than Bradley was by a long shot, but we should win. On paper, we stack up very well against InSU's strengths, and we can beat them at their style of play. However, if the unthinkable were to happen and InSU were to win, I don't think it would hurt the Shockers overly much. The trees are getting good publicity because of their wins over the current SEC and ACC leaders, and the Shockers should still be in the top-20 with a loss.

I hope that we win, of course. Personally, I think it is best for the Valley if Wichita State and Creighton win out and Indiana State wins the tournament (though that is going to go to the Black and Yellow this year). That way the Shockers would get a legitimate top-25 win against Creighton, a high seed, and the bonus money from a third MVC tournament team.

Players I'm going to watch closely:

Armstead (can he control Odom?)
      Orukpe (will he change the game on defense?)
      Early (feels like he is do for another 20+ performance)
      Last edited by CBB_Fan; January 29, 2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
        IMHO, the Shockers look their absolute best when they are pushing the tempo. When they take their energy up to 11, it feels like they start pushing the other team into turnnover after turnover and getting good shot after good shot. However, they also tend to make mistake when they go too fast, and their best wins have all been grinds (VCU, Southern Miss, and Creighton).

In the end, this game should be closer than Bradley was by a long shot, but we should win. On paper, we stack up very well against InSU's strengths, and we can beat them at their style of play. However, if the unthinkable were to happen and InSU were to win, I don't think it would hurt the Shockers overly much. The trees are getting good publicity because of their wins over the current SEC and ACC leaders, and the Shockers should still be in the top-20 with a loss.

I hope that we win, of course. Personally, I think it is best for the Valley if Wichita State and Creighton win out and Indiana State wins the tournament (though that is going to go to the Black and Yellow this year). That way the Shockers would get a legitimate top-25 win against Creighton, a high seed, and the bonus money from a third MVC tournament team.

Players I'm going to watch closely:

Armstead (can he control Odom?)
        Orukpe (will he change the game on defense?)
        Early (feels like he is do for another 20+ performance)
        why would that be good if insu won the mvc tournament? the year before last, that very thing relegated msu and wichita state, the top two mvc teams, to the nit. don't be such a bleeding heart. wichita state winning in st lou would be the best thing for this conference in years.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
          why would that be good if insu won the mvc tournament? the year before last, that very thing relegated msu and wichita state, the top two mvc teams, to the nit. don't be such a bleeding heart. wichita state winning in st lou would be the best thing for this conference in years.
          Your argument doesn't hold. We and Creighton aren't Missouri State and where we were that year. There is zero doubt that we're both dancing. So for the MVC, the perfect thing would be for someone other than us or CU to win so we get three bids and more money. But as always, we want to win.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
            Note, I said "best for the Valley," not "best for Wichita State." As a Wichita State fan, I don't want to lose a single game for the rest of the season. But the Valley has two almost certain locks for the tournament that really only need to worry about seeding.

This is a little case of "having your cake, and eating it too." I want:

1. Wichita State to win the conference
            2. Creighton to come in second (boosts our RPI, gives us one or two good marquee wins)
            3. Indiana State to get a bid to the tournament (for the money and possible upset chance to boost conference image)

The problem is that Indiana State does not get an at-large bid without wins over both us and Creighton. That would hurt our seeding and make our best win look a lot worse. However, Indiana State winning at the end of the year in the tournament would have less impact because it would only be a couple of games with little seeding consequence, as opposed to 2-3 games that could knock both top teams out of the top-25 (and thus, weaken us tremendously in the eyes of the media).

Comment

Note, I said "best for the Valley," not "best for Wichita State." As a Wichita State fan, I don't want to lose a single game for the rest of the season. But the Valley has two almost certain locks for the tournament that really only need to worry about seeding.

2. Creighton to come in second (boosts our RPI, gives us one or two good marquee wins)
              3. Indiana State to get a bid to the tournament (for the money and possible upset chance to boost conference image)

The problem is that Indiana State does not get an at-large bid without wins over both us and Creighton. That would hurt our seeding and make our best win look a lot worse. However, Indiana State winning at the end of the year in the tournament would have less impact because it would only be a couple of games with little seeding consequence, as opposed to 2-3 games that could knock both top teams out of the top-25 (and thus, weaken us tremendously in the eyes of the media).
              Can we get a "don't like" button ?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Your argument doesn't hold. We and Creighton aren't Missouri State and where we were that year. There is zero doubt that we're both dancing. So for the MVC, the perfect thing would be for someone other than us or CU to win so we get three bids and more money. But as always, we want to win.
                yes, i guess you're right after all. very convincing argument for the mvc, i must say. 'best thing for all involved would be insu winning the mvc postseason tourney again.

Comment

Sucks to be Indy State, then.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                    Can we get a "don't like" button ?
                    Do you understand the value of an NCAA bid and the prestige of sending more teams to the NCAA? Or do you not like me saying "I don't want to lose a single game for the rest of the season?"

Because honestly, I think that your response is silly.

Comment

'didn't read past the first sentence. n<---
                      Last edited by another shocker; January 29, 2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Do you understand the value of an NCAA bid and the prestige of sending more teams to the NCAA? Or do you not like me saying "I don't want to lose a single game for the rest of the season?"

Because honestly, I think that your response is silly.
                        I totally understand the value of an NCAA bid. I want the Shox to win Arch Madness - PERIOD. I don't want to leave PO'd like I did last year.

I lived in SW MO in 2006 when the Bears were snubbed with an RPI of 21. I'm not necessarily a Bear fan but they were screwed. We are not "in" the tournament until we are "in" the tournament. I think it's you who does not "get it"

You don't have to look far beyond WSU and CU to find out there isn't a lot of "prestige" in the Valley. More than likely, InSt would get a poor seed and embarrass the rest of us by getting blown out.

After reading many of your "panic mode" post after a loss - I don't worry about what you think of me

Comment

I really think we are going to dismantle them and win by 20. See no reason why we can't repeat thatsame energy for the rest of the season and post season.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                            I totally understand the value of an NCAA bid. I want the Shox to win Arch Madness - PERIOD. I don't want to leave PO'd like I did last year.

I lived in SW MO in 2006 when the Bears were snubbed with an RPI of 21. I'm not necessarily a Bear fan but they were screwed. We are not "in" the tournament until we are "in" the tournament. I think it's you who does not "get it"

You don't have to look far beyond WSU and CU to find out there isn't a lot of "prestige" in the Valley. More than likely, InSt would get a poor seed and embarrass the rest of us by getting blown out.

After reading you "panic mode" post after a loss - I don't worry about what you think of me
                            If you read what I had posted, you would see that I want Wichita State to win out during the regular season because it is far more important to us (seeding wise) than winning 3 games in a row in the MVC tournament. We don't need to win the tournament to get in, and if we win out until the championship game only to lose to Indiana State we would still likely end up as a 3 or 4 seed. If you honestly think that letting a team like Indiana State win the MVC tournament would send a 28+ Shocker team to the NIT, you are more than silly. You are crazy.

I have been hypercritical at times after loses because I either expected bad performances to repeat themselves (Tennessee), or simply didn't do enough research (Evansville). But what you've just posted blows my "panic mode" posts away. That said, I would NEVER be upset at the Shockers winning the MVC tournament (and I even posted that I think it will happen). I just think that we can subjectively say that the scenario I posted would give us a high seed and line our pockets.

Comment

If you read what I had posted, you would see that I want Wichita State to win out during the regular season because it is far more important to us (seeding wise) than winning 3 games in a row in the MVC tournament. We don't need to win the tournament to get in, and if we win out until the championship game only to lose to Indiana State we would still likely end up as a 3 or 4 seed. If you honestly think that letting a team like Indiana State win the MVC tournament would send a 28+ Shocker team to the NIT, you are more than silly. You are crazy.

I have been hypercritical at times after loses because I either expected bad performances to repeat themselves (Tennessee), or simply didn't do enough research (Evansville). But what you've just posted blows my "panic mode" posts away. That said, I would NEVER be upset at the Shockers winning the MVC tournament (and I even posted that I think it will happen). I just think that we can subjectively say that the scenario I posted would give us a high seed and line our pockets.
                              I'm not trying to get the last word in here but...........I'm pretty sure we are in barring a total collapse. It appears to me that the selection committee looks for a reason to move or leave out a non-power 6 conference team like ours. I do not think we will get left out. Last season - we all thought we would get a 3-4-5 seed. We received a 5 seed and get a very difficult match-up with an under seeded VCU squad and lost. Does it make sense to you that if we had won St Louis that we might possibly have gotten a better seed and been matched up with less of an opponent ? I might be "crazy" like you say but that is my line of thinking - We are seeded from our body of work and that will include winning (or losing) in St Louis.

CBB_Fan, are you Doug Elgin ???

Comment

let's root toot toot for insu and or ilsu etc in st lou! thats the ticket! ilsu beat wichita state last year was great for the valley! toot toot! better yet, evansville! root toot toot

Comment

Working...
                                X