Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Creighton Program a bit over-rated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys hate CU? Try living in Omaha... Anyway program is over rated, might average top 10 in attendance but the CBB environment isn't there. People show up to drink the beer and be seen/social not to watch BB. Koch >>> Century Link (and I've been to both, several times). Heard from a few Jay boosters the team has been recently out of synch because Doug McD broke up with his girl and is "getting with" Wragge's girl....

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      But they are headed for the big time with their new friends...
      The Blue Birds are headed to big time trouble with their new friends, given their graduation losses and the potential loss of Dougie to pro ball.

Coach McDermott had better have a couple of McDonald's All Americans lined up in his next recruiting class and a couple of juco All Americans would not hurt.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha_Shock View Post
        You guys hate CU? Try living in Omaha... Anyway program is over rated, might average top 10 in attendance but the CBB environment isn't there. People show up to drink the beer and be seen/social not to watch BB. Koch >>> Century Link (and I've been to both, several times). Heard from a few Jay boosters the team has been recently out of synch because Doug McD broke up with his girl and is "getting with" Wragge's girl....
        <giggles> Now that revolving girl friend situation will cause problems.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
          Add up the NCAA tournament wins in the same time frame between the two respective programs and you'll find your answer.

3-2 in favor of Creighton. Not a massive number but meaningful none the less, but when one looks at NCAA Tournament appearances in the same time frame you get.

8-2 in favor of Creighton. 'Nuff said.

Everyone on here would take 8 NCAA appearances in 14 years.
          When I discuss the MVC with basketball fans not familiar with the conference, it's usually Creighton's name that gets the most attention.

I've always found that interesting. So I'll usually ask them why they're familiar with Creighton, and it usually comes down to "they're always in the tournament, and always have some good success in it."

But only one of those is even partly true. Creighton is USUALLY in the tournament, and that's actually worked to create the sense that because they're always in it, they must be having success in it. But since 1999, they've had 8 appearances, 3 first round wins, and 0 second round wins.

And it's more interesting than that. Creighton has never won back to back games in the NCAA tournament. Ever. They made the Sweet 16 back in '71 I believe, and they had some success earlier on (with I believe their first NCAA win in the '40s), but those were all when the tournament was smaller. At that point even making the tournament was clearly an accomplishment ... but they never, ever won back to back games. Not in the NCAA tournament, and not even in the NIT. I think they've gotten to the finals in the CBI, but in the two biggest tournaments in the sport, Creighton has NEVER won two straight games. Wichita State has done it three times since 2005.

They receive a lot of respect, deservedly so, for making the tournament so consistently. I would love to say WSU has made the tournament 8 times since 1999. But, at the end of the day, the failure to ever even once capitalize on all of those appearances is kind of staggering. WSU, UNI, SIU, and Bradley have all had more tournament success in the last few years than Creighton has had since the early 70s, and all won more games in one tournament (not counting games between two losers to determine who was in third/fourth place from a regional) than Creighton has in their entire major tournament history.

Just interesting how seeing a name so often leaves an impression of success on people, even when the facts don't really support it.

Which isn't to say that Creighton is a bad program ... they've clearly been the most consistent in the Valley over this time period. Obviously SIU had a far more dominant run than Creighton, but Creighton's success has been very consistent. It's just that I don't think they are the nationally relevant team they get recognized as. They're a good MVC team ... they've never shown themselves to be a good national team, however. SIU was far more successful in that arena, and if they were to go on and have another 10 straight losing seasons, I still don't think Creighton would catch their NCAA success.

Gregg Marshall lead Winthrop to 7 NCAA appearances from 1999-2007, and had one NCAA first round win over that period ... 1 less appearance and 2 less wins, but 5 less years, and their one win was (I believe) over a higher seed than Creighton beat during that period. Winthrop under Marshall was as relevant nationally as Creighton is.
          Last edited by Rlh04d; February 26, 2013, 09:30 PM.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

You guys hate CU? Try living in Omaha...
            I feel your pain. And your right it's more a social gathering than a basketball game.

Comment

Nothing I'd like to see better than the Shockers and 3 or more Valley teams consistently making the NCAA tournament and doing well. And that includes CU.

The better the MVC does, the better our chances are possibly for attracting higher quality schools back into our conference.

Comment

REMEMBER: THEY STILL LIVE IN 2ND PLACE !!

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                  Nothing I'd like to see better than the Shockers and 3 or more Valley teams consistently making the NCAA tournament and doing well. And that includes CU.

The better the MVC does, the better our chances are possibly for attracting higher quality schools back into our conference.
                  I believe that Geno Ford will get Bradley there.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Agreed- I think Bradley is on the rise. Creighton should remain a solid program (though stormclouds are gathering) if they can maintain their current commitment to spending. ISUr always seems like it has potential, but Muller is a terrible coach and squandered a huge amount of talent this season. UNI will probably always be at least decent (occasionally good) under Jacobsen. Heaven help the Panthers if he ever leaves though.

Everyone else is capable of a flash-in-the-pan run at best. The spending gap between MVC schools is growing and teams like MSU, Indiana State and Evansville just don't stand a chance longterm versus those of us who double or triple them up budget-wise. Sure, they may occasionally stockpile enough talent to have a good year or two, but then they will lose their coach and be forced to roll the dice on another unproven replacement making $350k. That's not a sustainable model for success in a league where teams like us can shovel out $1.6+ million for our guy.
                    Last edited by Guest; February 27, 2013, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I can just imagine Gibbs sitting at his piano in the locker room singing to the rest of the team...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by ShockerPrez; February 27, 2013, 07:17 AM.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Add SIU to that list. Lots of potential there to be a contender within a couple of years or so.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          I can just imagine Gibbs sitting at his piano in the locker room singing to the rest of the team...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZPNvzNnzo

"Allentown"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            Add SIU to that list. Lots of potential there to be a contender within a couple of years or so.
                            I have faith that Hinson will improve SIU, but I'm not ready to say they'll be contenders in the near future. If Bradley can keep Ford around, I see them contending for the top spot consistently starting in '14-'15
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Not sure what's worse? Having to deal with Creighton fans in Omaha all the time or having to deal with KU fans in Wichita all the time. Both are extremely annoying.
                              ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
                              www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

I was rooting for CU to win.

But . . . it needs to be pointed out that Creighton and WSU have the same number of NCAA wins in the last 15 years: four.

Comment

Working...
                                X