Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Creighton Program a bit over-rated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Creighton Program a bit over-rated?

Since 1999, (purely random), Creighton has one outright MVC championship (the same as Drake and MSU) and two co-championships.

In the meantime, WSU has two out-right championships, and both of those are in the last six years. Actually, WSU is 2nd to SIU over that time frame in outright championships.

Listening to the BJs, you would think they've owned the MVC since Dana got things rolling. Apparently not.

Yes, I know they have tournament championships, and those aren't small things. But, I'll take regular season championship any time.

Not this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
      Not this year.
      Yep. In his post game remarks 3G said that this year's Creighton team is the best Valley team he has seen during his time at WSU.

Comment

Please read. I stated the program, not this year's team. Maybe Creighton can win their first out-right MVC championship since 2001 this year. I was actually surprised their championship tally was so low.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          Since 1999, (purely random), Creighton has one outright MVC championship (the same as Drake and MSU) and two co-championships.

In the meantime, WSU has two out-right championships, and both of those are in the last six years. Actually, WSU is 2nd to SIU over that time frame in outright championships.

Listening to the BJs, you would think they've owned the MVC since Dana got things rolling. Apparently not.

Yes, I know they have tournament championships, and those aren't small things. But, I'll take regular season championship any time.
          Add up the NCAA tournament wins in the same time frame between the two respective programs and you'll find your answer.

3-2 in favor of Creighton. Not a massive number but meaningful none the less, but when one looks at NCAA Tournament appearances in the same time frame you get.

8-2 in favor of Creighton. 'Nuff said.

Everyone on here would take 8 NCAA appearances in 14 years.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Ummm - I think CU has three first round wins and WSU has two wins from 2006. So it is 3-2. Frankly that is more evidence that the vaunted CU program gets more accolades than it has earned.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
              Ummm - I think CU has three first round wins and WSU has two wins from 2006. So it is 3-2. Frankly that is more evidence that the vaunted CU program gets more accolades than it has earned.
              Did you see my last addendum about tournament appearances in your stated timeframe 1999-2012?
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Yes, I wsuhox1, I do know how to read. I thought you probably imagined that CU had more NCAA wins before you looked it up.

Maybe you don't hear the same things about the CU program that I do. One championship, and three NCAA wins in 15 years is what it is.

Comment

They have God on their side, so Evil ol' WSU will never compare.

Comment

In terms of owning the Valley, ABC does have a point. One out-right championship since 2001? That's pretty amazing for a program that's gonna be too good for the Valley in a couple years.

The BJ's do have some NCAA appearances, but they don't do anything with them. The true one-and-done type program. They sure don't get much bang for their buck.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Let me make this clear - I am no fan of Creighton but Creighton is GOOD! Enough said. Don't go trying to trash them by going back in time and finding a period when WSU had better stats. That's childish and something that other Valley teams have done to us before. It was irritating then and it's irritating now. We will have our hands full Saturday. Not saying we can't win, but it will be tough. Creighton has consistently been in the top 3 of the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                        Let me make this clear - I am no fan of Creighton but Creighton is GOOD! Enough said. Don't go trying to trash them by going back in time and finding a period when WSU had better stats. That's childish and something that other Valley teams have done to us before. It was irritating then and it's irritating now. We will have our hands full Saturday. Not saying we can't win, but it will be tough. Creighton has consistently been in the top 3 of the Valley.
                        No one is talking about this year's team. The point of the thread is that with all the smugness and elitist attitude by BJ fans, they sure seem to have problems winning the Valley. They certainly are no Gonzaga or Butler.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

To be fair to Creighton, they've had the mos consistent success of any team in the Valley. Since 1999, Creighton has never finished lower than fourth in the final MVC standings. They've also won the MVC tournament seven times in that period. No other team in the conference comes anywhere near this.

For Creighton, a down year is finishing fourth. For every other team in the Valley, a bad year is finishing somewhere near the bottom and playing on Thursday night in St. Louis.

I hope we destroy them on Saturday, and I would be perfectly happy if they never won another game in the history of their basketball program, but until that happens I don't think it makes any sense to belittle what they have accomplished. It really makes us look petty and insecure. They have had the most successful basketball program in the conference in recent years, and it really isn't even remotely debatable in my opinion. No shame in admitting that. We can start to change that on the court this weekend.

Comment

They're good. We need to spank them like a hooker's behind.
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I have done zero research on this, but I would not be surprised if you compared CU to other non-BCS programs (Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier) that they compare favorably in terms of conference championships, league tourney championships, and NCAA appearances since 1999. They most likely fall short in comparison in terms of NCAA wins, sweet 16s and beyond...

Perception most probably is ahead of reality with CU, but no more than any other team that finds success in the short term. Certainly, WSUs reputation since 2006 has exceeded actual results. In many cases a team's rep is like a hot stock.. Somewhat oversold based on expectations versus actual performance, but we have been more consistent than most; just like CU and the others.
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                              X