Marshall Has Spoken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu
    In case there are any internet/shockernet/callers to the show crossovers here let me say this:

He is not going to discuss the job. That means don't ask him about it.

Not tonight, not next week, not ever. Don't make it more painful that it already is.
    Somebody needs to find Dennis AND QUICK!!!! and introduce to him to what the Mafia calls "a cement bath"

Comment

So Coach is basically holding out hope for the Gamecocks' calling him home? Oh well. I'll support coach anyway if he stays or goes.

Comment

Perhaps the title of this thread should have been "Marshall Has Spoken...but Said Nothing."

I have to hope and think he has been calling recruits to reassure them privately.

The only thing that would have made the message of this statement more enjoyable would have been if it read as follows:

"Going forward, I do not plan to discuss any other job, position, or situation other than the one I have, Head Basketball Coach at Wichita State University. I will be happy to discuss our program at any opportunity, just as long as you aren't a little pencil-necked geek from Omaha who goes by the moniker, Big Show Matt. If he asks me anything, he's getting two word answers and another lecture. And next time, let's see if he's got the scrote to bad-mouth while I'm still on the air."
        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by rZ
          How anticlimactic...waited around all day for that. But Sub is right, it was just to get people to calm down a little.
          I don't see how this statement serves to calm anyone down, in fact, it probably will just add to the angst among the fan base. The purpose of this statement is to keep Coach Marshall from having to waste time in dealing with an issue that may or may not actually become a real issue at some point. I can't blame him for that.

It sure would have been nice to have a definitive I'm staying, but unfortunately, HCGM is not ready to make that commitment at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by ShellShocked
            This does nothing to reassure our great recruits that he is staying or tell them they should have no doubts about committing to WSU. I hope he is telling them that in private so that we can go back to our winning ways next year. Otherwise, I see this as doing nothing more than adding fuel to the speculation that he might leave and leaving us on shaky ground in our plans for next year.
            What gaurantee does ANY coach give to ANY recruit that he is going to stay at the school? They all say "I am the coach of yada-yada-U and I am building a winning program for yada-yada."

Honestly, sheesh!

The only way coach could satisfy the nay-sayers would be to say "I am the coach of WSU, the Wichita one, not the Wisconsin or Washington one, for the rest of my life even if I win the lottery or get hit by a bus."
            I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
              Oh well. I'll support coach anyway if he stays or goes.
              I just don't understand this statement. How could you support him if he goes? If he leaves, he is no longer affiliated with WSU...that's where it ends for me, anyways. I could not support any decision that goes against the best interests of WSU.
              KU fans are the most arrogant while KSU fans are the most delusional. ~BostonWu
              Criticizing this team is like criticizing one of Jerry's kids. ~DaShox

Comment

This is not at all what I expected CGM to say. I thought he would close the door on the SC speculation. So let me be the first to say, I WAS WRONG. But I think the sun will still come up tomorrow. Of course, if it's still cloudy, we won't see it.
                ;-)
                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

He responded as EVERY coach would in his position. If they throw him a bunch of money AND he can go home, why wouldn't he. WHY WOULDN'T YOU.

Comment

I would wish him well. I met Coach, talked to him a bit. Awesome guy, and very personable from my short chat with him.

Comment

This is how I feel about his statement..........

Comment

Although I wish that he had said that he was withdrawing his name from consideration, I am happy with this statement. Reading the statement, I got the feeling that the statement was more about how is going to handle any job opening that comes up than about the South Carolina job specifically.

Remember, this is the first time that his name has come up with regard to a job opening. He probably felt like he needed to make some sort of statement so that everyone would know that he was not going to talk about job openings.

I am glad to see that he talked about his commitment to WSU. That is the most important part of his statement.

Comment

Lutz's take will be tough on Marshall and the athletic department's PR people tomorrow. I'm not saying he's going or staying. I don't know. Saying nothing would be better than this statement.

If he were to interview with SC, or any team, after one season I would hope that JS gives him the boot.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Maybe something else to ease your minds. I looked at a copy of Marshall's contract (I forgot that I had downloaded it from Kansas.com after he signed), and there is no out for South Carolina. There is just a $250K buyout.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks
                              This is not at all what I expected CGM to say. I thought he would close the door on the SC speculation. So let me be the first to say, I WAS WRONG. But I think the sun will still come up tomorrow. Of course, if it's still cloudy, we won't see it.
                              ;-)
                              He did close the door on the speculation..... at least for the rest of the season.
                              "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                              -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                                This is how I feel about his statement..........

Great self-portrait. :lol:
                                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                                X