WSU versus N. iowa predictions and pregame discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
    UNI is a tough matchup for us right now. Healthy, we beat them by 15+ at home. Injured, I just don't know.

WSU 65
    UNI 61
    I have similar thoughts about this game.

WSU - 61
    UNI - 58

Comment

I see an ugly, very ugly, defensive game. Probably in the 50's unless there are a bunch of fouls.

Shock win 59-54.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

With a UNI win, they'll be an NCAA at-large lock. Just ask their fans.

I agree that at full-strength, we'd pop em by about 20, similar to our 82-57 destruction of them last year. However, the lack of depth will be a challenge. UNI runs a pretty simplistic and boring offense. They make a pass or two and chuck up 3's. If the 3's are falling, they'll have a good shot at a W. If they aren't, they'll have a shot at an L. No more dribble drive garbage. I'd prefer them shooting 3's. That's all their offense hinges on.

I'm hoping we have a sell-out crowd to add extra heat and hopefully propel the team to an 8-10 point win. It's gonna be ugly though.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The Shockers need to keep the Panthers to around 60. I think we do and win 64-59.
          In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
            I see an ugly, very ugly, defensive game. Probably in the 50's unless there are a bunch of fouls.

Shock win 59-54.
            What's ugly about defense?

Comment

I don't feel good about this one. Hope I'm wrong though:

Shox 59
              UNI 60

Comment

If there are a ton of fouls, WSU loses. I think the team steps up in this one and shows that they have the best team regardless of how many players are hurt.
                WSU 68
                UNI 52

Comment

Shox- 63
                  UNI- 57
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I believe this game will hinge more on mid-range jumpers. UNI knows they won't get to the rim often and our defense will press their outside shooters knowing EO is available to help. Thus, the look we give up is in the mid-range. Our hedge on ball screens will also be a critical portion of this game. I would love to see us trap on ball screens more than we have done in the past. Just work to get the other team out of rhythm.
                    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

the shockers need hall back in the worst way. they've lived a charmed life without him so far. but... uni will take advantage

Comment

The Mayan's were wrong about the end of the world. The rest of the Valley was wrong about our demise. The Panthers are simply the first to prove that, injured or not, this is still our house. Shocks 70-58.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          the shockers need hall back in the worst way. they've lived a charmed life without him so far. but... uni will take advantage
                          They'd have to have an inside game on either or both ends to take advantage of that. I don't see that happening.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

UNI does get jacked up pretty hard when they come in to Koch. It's a night and day difference compared to what they have to endure in their gym in Frostbite Falls. Hopefully, our boys will feed more off the crowd's energy and that crowd brings their A game this time around.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

This game is one of those games where I think it will be defining point for the WSU season - good or bad. UNI was picked above WSU and this is home game for WSU. If you want to have a chance to win the MVC you have to win at home and steal some on the road.

WSU can use the excuse about missing "Hall", but remember "Hall" was just the cherry on top - nobody was really expecting he would get to play as NCAA does not give that many hardships redshirts. Without him WSU still has a rotation of 9 players which is plenty of depth.

Keys for WSU to win:

1. Keep UNI from shooting >30% from 3pt

UNI lives and dies by the 3pt shot (40% of shots are from 3). They have shot >40% from 3pt in 5 out of 12 games. Games they lost they shot 32%, 27%, 26%, 19% and 38%.

2. Keep UNI off of the FT line. They shoot 76%.

3. UNI has been out rebounded, especially on the offensive end. Don't let that change. Crash the boards and make our misses - makes. If we do that WSU will be shooting 50% from the field :)

4. Value possessions and don't give cheap turnovers. UNI doesn't turnover the ball much so don't expect much help.

5. Stop the dribble drive, stop UNI inside game - UNI success at those two thing I think opens up their 3pt shooting. EO needs a big game.

6. MA needs to keep his mouth shut and play good D - no stupid fouls, stay on the court.

7. WSU needs a "maker"

Comment

Shockers 65
                                Floppers 59

Comment

Working...
                                X