Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Con is Over, New Valley Predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Con is Over, New Valley Predictions?

Outside of bracketbusters, all 10 Valley teams are done with their non-conference schedules unless I missed a stray game somewhere. RPIs are in parenthesis.

I'm curious what everyone's opinion of what the final standings might look like on March 3.

There are a lot of changes since we guessed a couple of months ago. Creighton lost Josh Jones but doesn't seem to have missed a beat. 11-1 (15) and NONE of the 11 wins by fewer than 10 points. They are not only winning but winning easily.

At 11-1 (13), WSU is one of 3 pleasant surprise teams in the Valley, but the Shocks are now down 3 starters and only 2 of the 12 available players haven't sustained some kind of injury this season, and it's not even 2013. They own the best win in the conference (@ VCU), 4 wins away from home, and play stifling defense.

Illinois State, 9-3 (40), has been strong if not impressive. Would feel a lot better if they had won one of the three against Northwestern, Louisville or Wyoming (combined 32-5). They've lost a deep reserve to legal issues. Most of their wins have been blowouts against (mostly) inferior teams.

UNI, 6-5 (163) has played a tough schedule but has little to show for it. They are a final minute collapse from Toledo from being 5-6. Dion Mitchell appears to be the real deal.

Indiana State has flown under the radar but picked up a couple decent wins in their Hawaii Christmas Tourney against Ole Miss and Miami. 6-4 (48) doesn't seem impressive, but 3 of the 4 losses are to ranked teams. It's obvious the Trees are improved and improving. Justin Gant lost a tooth in the game tonight but I can't think he'll miss anytime from that.

Bradley is 1 of 2 pleasant surprises. 8-4 (185) and no bad losses. Very competitive against the #2 team in the nation (Michigan at home) and easily could have won the last two tournament games. Peoria won't be a pushover, to say the least, this season.

SIU is the other surprise team at 6-4 (149). While their schedule is devoid of any real meat, they've managed to win 3 road games. I suspect few believed the Salukis would win any road games at the start of the year.

Evansville is 6-5 (162) with all losses being competitive. Colt was down for a bit but seems at full strength now. D.J. Balentine looks to be a threat for years to come.

At 5-5 (157) I'm not sure about the Geese. They can score, but don't rebound at all and appear limited defensively. They don't look to be at the level of most other teams right now, but they are capable of ruining someone's season.

Missouri State has been an unmitigated disaster this year. They are 0-10 (and an unfathomable 327 RPI) (2 non D1 wins that don't count) and most of the 10 have been blowouts. Yes they are young, but they seem to be getting worse not better. They are at a cliff and need to get a win soon to keep from losing the team.

My predictions (sans the good guys, feel free to do what you want with WSU) are as follows:

CU-Still head and shoulders above the rest.
    ISUR-Great talent and I expect they will continue to improve under 1st year Coach Muller.
    ISUB-Here is where things get tricky. The Trees will ugly up some wins I think.
    UNI-Only reason they are this high is experience and coaching. The Panthers are a lock to be picked bottom 4 next season, but they will still talk about at large possibilities as likely.
    Evansville-Can they play enough D to win 50% or better?
    Bradley-History says much higher seems too much to expect.
    SIU-Barry is a huge step up for the ugly dawgs.
    Drake-skeptical about the Geese, mostly their coach. This could easily be a poor selection.
    MSU-Awful. Few finishing positions seem more likely than the basement for the Bears.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Outside of bracketbusters, all 10 Valley teams are done with their non-conference schedules unless I missed a stray game somewhere. RPIs are in parenthesis.

I'm curious what everyone's opinion of what the final standings might look like on March 3.

There are a lot of changes since we guessed a couple of months ago. Creighton lost Josh Jones but doesn't seem to have missed a beat. 11-1 (15) and NONE of the 11 wins by fewer than 10 points. They are not only winning but winning easily.

At 11-1 (13), WSU is one of 3 pleasant surprise teams in the Valley, but the Shocks are now down 3 starters and only 2 of the 12 available players haven't sustained some kind of injury this season, and it's not even 2013. They own the best win in the conference (@ VCU), 4 wins away from home, and play stifling defense.

Illinois State, 9-3 (40), has been strong if not impressive. Would feel a lot better if they had won one of the three against Northwestern, Louisville or Wyoming (combined 32-5). They've lost a deep reserve to legal issues. Most of their wins have been blowouts against (mostly) inferior teams.

UNI, 6-5 (163) has played a tough schedule but has little to show for it. They are a final minute collapse from Toledo from being 5-6. Dion Mitchell appears to be the real deal.

Indiana State has flown under the radar but picked up a couple decent wins in their Hawaii Christmas Tourney against Ole Miss and Miami. 6-4 (48) doesn't seem impressive, but 3 of the 4 losses are to ranked teams. It's obvious the Trees are improved and improving. Justin Gant lost a tooth in the game tonight but I can't think he'll miss anytime from that.

Bradley is 1 of 2 pleasant surprises. 8-4 (185) and no bad losses. Very competitive against the #2 team in the nation (Michigan at home) and easily could have won the last two tournament games. Peoria won't be a pushover, to say the least, this season.

SIU is the other surprise team at 6-4 (149). While their schedule is devoid of any real meat, they've managed to win 3 road games. I suspect few believed the Salukis would win any road games at the start of the year.

Evansville is 6-5 (162) with all losses being competitive. Colt was down for a bit but seems at full strength now. D.J. Balentine looks to be a threat for years to come.

At 5-5 (157) I'm not sure about the Geese. They can score, but don't rebound at all and appear limited defensively. They don't look to be at the level of most other teams right now, but they are capable of ruining someone's season.

Missouri State has been an unmitigated disaster this year. They are 0-10 (and an unfathomable 327 RPI) (2 non D1 wins that don't count) and most of the 10 have been blowouts. Yes they are young, but they seem to be getting worse not better. They are at a cliff and need to get a win soon to keep from losing the team.

My predictions (sans the good guys, feel free to do what you want with WSU) are as follows:

ISUR-Great talent and I expect they will continue to improve under 1st year Coach Muller.
    UNI-Only reason they are this high is experience and coaching. The Panthers are a lock to be picked bottom 4 next season, but they will still talk about at large possibilities as likely.
    Drake-skeptical about the Geese, mostly their coach. This could easily be a poor selection.
    MSU-Awful. Few finishing positions seem more likely than the basement for the Bears.
    I would agree with your order of the Valley right now. Cu has continued to look good and a little more balanced than last year. Indy St. really impressed me in Hawaii. Ill St. total meltdown against Wyoming is still puzzling to me. UNI for the most part just hasn't impressed me that much. They really don't look like they have much talent.

I would put WSU somewhere in the top 4 depending on how the Shockers injuries heal up. I still think WSU will be competing for the top spot with Cu but lingering injuries could knock the Shocks down a notch or two.

Comment

Oh yeah and I wouldn't mind BOTH of the Shockers games against MoST getting snowed out.

Comment

You pretty much hit it, Doc. Four teams doing better than what the pundits thought - WSU, In St, Bradley, and SIU. Three where most thought they would be - CU, Ill St, and Evansville. Three doing worse - UNI and Drake not by much and MSU a disaster.

Just how good would the Valley have been at this point had MSU been in the 150-200 RPI range?

Edit: Went back and looked at my prediction: CU, Ill St, WSU, UNI, Evansville, Drake, IN St, MSU, BU, SIU.

Now I'd go with: CU, WSU (if the injuries don't catch up with us), Ill St, three way tie In St, UNI, Evansville, then, Bradley, Drake, SIU, MSU (maybe the only lock).
        Last edited by ShockTalk; December 25, 2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

1 - CU - We know what they are and they are good. They won't win it without a lot of competition though and I'm not certain this is where they end up as it'll be a three team race
          2 - WSU - I think we're lucky that the opening part of conference play isn't overly demanding. That'll help get through the injury situation. Getting Hall back is key. Baker a few weeks later and I think we push CU.
          3 - ISU - The 'Birds are a talented team and could just as easily end up first as third. The top three teams should have some great battles.

4 - UNI - I know they haven't been overly impressive but they'll find a way. Very good coach and some experience will help.
          5 - ISUb - I have a hard time believing they can really finish this high but based on what they've done so far...

6 - BU - It may be a stretch but Geno has them playing well and they have a couple excellent players that can help them get here.
          7 - UE - They normally do better than they should, but I'm not seeing it.
          8 - SIU - Barry has them playing well considering the circumstances.
          9 - DU - I don't know what to think of them.

0 - HSU - They suck.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'd like to congratulate the good Doc on not starting a thread that underscores the fact he is an "insider" to the program and, due to his "insider" status, has been able obtain breaking "insider" news that is extremely significant and that everyone on Shockernet would like to know, but he unfortunately cannot divulge said "insider" information. As a courtesy to fellow Shockernetters, the good Doc can only hint around.

What a refreshing thread! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Doc!

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley View Post
              I'd like to congratulate the good Doc on not starting a thread that underscores the fact he is an "insider" to the program and, due to his "insider" status, has been able obtain breaking "insider" news that is extremely significant and that everyone on Shockernet would like to know, but he unfortunately cannot divulge said "insider" information. As a courtesy to fellow Shockernetters, the good Doc can only hint around.

What a refreshing thread! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Doc!
              Well, as 2012 winds down - we get yet another nominee for the "idiotic post of the year award"

Comment

Here is my current prediction:

Tier 1

I think any of these three could win the regular season.

CU - The problem I see with CU is there lack of depth. Only 7 players are getting more than 7+ minutes and by comparison NONE of Wichita's players are getting less than 9.5! They may well lose a wear down and go into a 3 game losing streak like last year. Also, if either McDermott or Echenique get injured it could be a disaster.

WSU - Get healthy without losing too many games is key - should know over the next few games.

Illinois State - good team

Tier 2

Both lack consistency but are dangerous

Northern Iowa
                Indiana State

Tier 3

Bradley
                Drake
                Evansville
                SIU

Last

MSU - feel sorry for their fans and hope they someone can be brought in. They don't seem to be "growing" as a team as their best games were early in the season and the most recent have been awful. For example MSU played a very good game versus South Carolina in Nov. but recently lost to a horrid Alabama A&M team (Evansville won against them by 26 and at one point led by 39 :hororr:). They may well not get a win till the Bracketbusters.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Interesting, mostly positive things to say about 7 out of 10 Valley programs. You must have been feeling the Christmas spirit! :)
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

1- CU
                    2- Ill St
                    3- WSU
                    4- UNI
                    5- Ind St
                    6- BU
                    7- UE
                    8- SIU
                    9- DU
                    10- MSU

To me CU wins the league by 2 games, probably somewhere around 15-3. Ill St & WSU come in 13-5, 12-6. IF Carl Hall comes back for the home set with Ill St & CU that 12-6 could be 14-4/15-3. UNI is good enough offensively to beat most of the lower half teams in the MVC. I was impressed with Ind St in Hawaii, but if a team shuts down Odum, they are in trouble. 6 thru 9 are probably interchangable and will depend on injuries and which one of them gets the upset victory against one of the top 3, because it will happen. MSU.....thanks for providing 12 young men a free education.
                    Last edited by Slalomshocker; December 28, 2012, 07:37 AM. Reason: corrected records to reflect 18 games
                    -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

We are simply better than BU, UE, SIU, MSU, UNI, and DU. There's 12 wins right there. If we lose even once to any of these teams, that will be a very bad loss and will certainly be shown on the TV screen during selection Sunday as so. Even when Hall and Baker do come back, they still won't be immediately 100 percent. There will be some rust to knock off and some conditioning that will need to be brought back up to speed not to mention the pain they must adjust to. At best, we'll split with ISU red and blue, and Creighton. We'll probably get swept by at least one of these three, so I'm predicting 14 - 4 at best. Something tells me a split with UNI certainly isn't out of the the realm of possibility so final answer is we go 13 - 5.

Comment

KenPom has us with a 13 and 5 record. However he would favor us in all but two of the games in the Valley. I think we will finish 14 and 4 and tie with Creighton. Ill State 12 - 6, UNI 10 - 8, Ind St 9-9. The rest are interchangeable except MSU which will finish dead last with only one Valley win?

Sun Dec 30 73 Northern Iowa W, 66-58 63 80% Home
                        Wed Jan 2 152 Drake W, 73-65 69 76% Away
                        Sun Jan 6 122 Bradley W, 67-62 68 70% Away
                        Wed Jan 9 186 Southern Illinois W, 70-55 65 93% Home
                        Sun Jan 13 115 Evansville W, 67-62 67 68% Away
                        Wed Jan 16 41 Illinois St. W, 71-66 70 69% Home
                        Sat Jan 19 15 Creighton W, 68-67 67 50% Home
                        Wed Jan 23 298 Missouri St. W, 66-51 63 94% Away
                        Sat Jan 26 122 Bradley W, 71-58 68 88% Home
                        Tue Jan 29 105 Indiana St. W, 68-57 65 86% Home
                        Sat Feb 2 73 Northern Iowa W, 63-61 63 56% Away
                        Tue Feb 5 186 Southern Illinois W, 66-58 65 80% Away
                        Sat Feb 9 298 Missouri St. W, 70-48 63 98% Home
                        Wed Feb 13 152 Drake W, 77-62 69 91% Home
                        Sun Feb 17 41 Illinois St. L, 70-67 70 42% Away
                        Tue Feb 19 105 Indiana St. W, 64-60 65 66% Away
                        Wed Feb 27 115 Evansville W, 71-59 67 87% Home
                        Sat Mar 2 15 Creighton L, 71-63 67 24% Away

Comment

I can'tput MSU in 10th

I just cannot bring myself to put Mizzery State 10th in the MVC. 13th, maybe.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            I just cannot bring myself to put Mizzery State 10th in the MVC. 13th, maybe.
                            I think maybe we should move them to the women's division. Then maybe they could get a win and our men's teams won't have to take a horrible rpi hit. :smug:

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                              I think maybe we should move them to the women's division. Then maybe they could get a win . . .
                              Operative word.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X