Southern Miss game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    What a night. The halftime videos were spectacular. Ron Baker as Kevin O'Connor, classic!
    Kevin McCallister? ;)
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I thought the buttons were going to fly off for a minute, then I think he thought better of it. I suspect Lynn would give him an earful if she had to sew them back on.
      Last edited by WuDrWu; December 22, 2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Kevin McCallister? ;)
        Muchas gracias.

Comment

• Originally posted by KSUUWSU View Post
          Busted out my yellow mohawk wig, screamed until hoarse and watched one heck of a ball game. Way to go Shox and Merry Christmas Shocker Nation!
          I think you may have had some face time on the video screen in the 2nd half and yes, if that was you, you were quite animated. Way to bring it.

Comment

• Why oh why must we pay prices 50% greater than that in KC at the Sprint Center, get lesser opponents that K-State, get worse selection of concessions, pay more for a beer than at JerryWorld, and get NO cell service????!!!!!

The same parking spot I use for Thunder games was even bumped up 70%. I don't get it. I'll continue to get hosed, because it's important to me and the Lord has blessed me so that I can pay for it, but I know it keeps far more people from attending.

Just don't get it.

Comment

• If Gregg Marshall keeps doing this, he should get props for Coach of the Year. Phenomenal. This year has been an amazing effort by him.

First, he goes out and gets guys like Early, Wiggins, and Lufile. Then he toughens them. And finally, when the game is on the line, he finds the perfect adjustments to get the team a win.

I'll say this: I am occasionally a negative nancy, but only because I have very high expectations. I think this group of young men is simply fantastic, as tough a group as you'll see on any team in the country. Sometimes, they will make you want to claw your eyes out with frustration, but that is what Marshall is here for. The crowd was awesome, and the players looked like they not only believed they could win, but almost expected to make the plays necessary to get that win.

I'll be honest, even though I predicted we'd win 57-52 (with a late push from FTs), I didn't expect this. This game is gravy, and we didn't need it or necessarily "deserve" to win it. Luckily, no one told the team that. In this game, we learned that we can lose 4 players, play against a weird press on one day of practice, come out horribly, and still win by 8 points.

I've only got one more thing to say: Shocker opponents better take what they can for the next month, because I wouldn't want to face this team healthy if this is what they do injured.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                I think you may have had some face time on the video screen in the 2nd half and yes, if that was you, you were quite animated. Way to bring it.

That was me all right. Not only did I bring it but a majority on the section I was sitting in did as well. The crowd was terrific tonight and it was great to see the team react to the pandemonium.
                When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

Why oh why must we pay prices 50% greater than that in KC at the Sprint Center, get lesser opponents that K-State, get worse selection of concessions, pay more for a beer than at JerryWorld, and get NO cell service????!!!!!

The same parking spot I use for Thunder games was even bumped up 70%. I don't get it. I'll continue to get hosed, because it's important to me and the Lord has blessed me so that I can pay for it, but I know it keeps far more people from attending.

Just don't get it.
                  You make valid points on pretty much everything. Some taking advantage going on there. WSU should probably be getting on the promoter for this and make sure everything lines up right for all parties, including the FANS. Considering everything you just mentioned, it's a testament to Shocker Nation that 9500 still came out when they didn't have to, paid the price, and willed their battered Shockers to victory.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                    the players looked like they not only believed they could win, but almost expected to make the plays necessary to get that win.
                    THIS X 1000

It really stood out to me.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Why oh why must we pay prices 50% greater than that in KC at the Sprint Center, get lesser opponents that K-State, get worse selection of concessions, pay more for a beer than at JerryWorld, and get NO cell service????!!!!!

Just don't get it.
                      +1000

I truly believe if they had just priced this event reasonably it could have sold out. The 9600 who showed up were great. But it is disappointing that we price so many people out of experiencing a great event. I think the 600 tickets that were sold at $8.50 by dealsaver are evidence of this. Those 600 tickets sold out in less than one day.

The 5000 empty seats produce NO REVENUE. A more reasonable pricing plan might actually produce more NET REVENUE if it causes the place to sell out (besides more ticket revenue, there would be more parking revenue, more concession revenue, more program sales etc.).

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                        Nick is a scorer, don't think anybody disagrees. We wouldn't have won tonight without him. He still needs to work on the rest of his game to be a complete player.
                        In addition to his 12 points Nick grabbed a game and career high 8 boards and he had no turnovers. Yeah, his defense still needs some work. I remember one back door play in particular he got abused on. But his is coming and he was as important as anyone in tonights victory. How Nick plays has been and will be a key factor in how we navigate through these injuries.

Comment

• DW had another 4 turnovers in this game. That's 10 turnover the last 2 games. That needs to change when conference season starts.

Comment

• Wait...Wiggins had 12 pts and 8 boards in 18 minutes?

Cle had 10 pts and 4 boards in 37 minutes.

Comment

Just don't get it.
                              I've said it before and I'll say it again ... money grab.

Honestly, Koch is so much better for basketball than IBA, it isn't even a fair comparison.

I certainly believe that fair pricing of the event from the beginning could have led to better attendance. The timing wasn't ideal either, IMO. Bumping up to Christmas break sees students gone home for the break, working folks traveling to spend the holidays in far away places, etc.

The joint was jumpin' with good die-hard fans. 3000-5000 more would have been something to experiance.

That win sure was a nice gift from Coach Marshall and the guys.

--'85.
                              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• Love to see this.

The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X