No announcement yet.

Southern Miss game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so glad to have that picture. That is going to be my wallpaper.

Comment

• Is that other guy going for EOs wallet?

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
        +1000

I truly believe if they had just priced this event reasonably it could have sold out. The 9600 who showed up were great. But it is disappointing that we price so many people out of experiencing a great event. I think the 600 tickets that were sold at $8.50 by dealsaver are evidence of this. Those 600 tickets sold out in less than one day.

The 5000 empty seats produce NO REVENUE. A more reasonable pricing plan might actually produce more NET REVENUE if it causes the place to sell out (besides more ticket revenue, there would be more parking revenue, more concession revenue, more program sales etc.).
        Uh-oh... supply side economics. Better not let any Democrats read this; they'll get very upset.

Of course, if they have eyes to see and brains to think, they also might be converted, because you're obviously right -- lowering marginal prices can generate more revenue if it sells enough extra tickets to make up for the illusory "reduced" revenue generated by the extra tickets sold. This is why when stores need to boost their sales numbers they lower prices, not raise them, and it can work at sporting events too -- another way to put it is that 600 tickets at $8.50 each raise more money than zero tickets at $12.50 apiece.

Having said all that, isn't at least some of this, if not most, the failure of the promoter rather than WSU -- who sets the conditions for games at IBA?

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Uh-oh... supply side economics. Better not let any Democrats read this; they'll get very upset.

Of course, if they have eyes to see and brains to think, they also might be converted, because you're obviously right -- lowering marginal prices can generate more revenue if it sells enough extra tickets to make up for the illusory "reduced" revenue generated by the extra tickets sold. This is why when stores need to boost their sales numbers they lower prices, not raise them, and it can work at sporting events too -- another way to put it is that 600 tickets at $8.50 each raise more money than zero tickets at $12.50 apiece.

Having said all that, isn't at least some of this, if not most, the failure of the promoter rather than WSU -- who sets the conditions for games at IBA?
          I really have a hard time understanding why WSU even needs a promoter for these games. WSU schedules all of their other games why not schedule one game a year at INTRUST? Adding a promoter just adds a middle man which requires the prices to be a little higher so the middle man can make a profit.

I kind of understand early on using a middle man because he takes all of the risk. But I think it is proven that WSU fans will attend games at INTRUST, so I don't think WSU would be risking much of any thing to schedule the game themselves and control the prices. Even if they schedule it themselves they don't necessarily have to include it in the season ticket package.

I think next year if I were the AD I would dump the promoter and just schedule a game at INTRUST. And price the thing more reasonably so there will be a bigger crowd.

Comment

• A promoter will not be used next year as we already have Tennessee under contract. One reason for the promoter was flap by some season ticket holders about their seats at IBA. They will probably get their chance to complain again next year.
            In the fast lane

Comment

• I love having a game at Intrust. But why is cell coverage so bad? Would it be that hard to add free wifi? I know the NFL has mandated changes so that fans in every stadium is guarenteed free wifi among other things.

Also its real nice to be able to enjoy alcohol there. Think how much concessions money college teams are missing out by not offering alcohol. I would have figure by now the greedy folks in the NCAA would have allowed this and take a %

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                A promoter will not be used next year as we already have Tennessee under contract. One reason for the promoter was flap by some season ticket holders about their seats at IBA. They will probably get their chance to complain again next year.
                Suellentrop just wrote that a decision on how the Tennessee tickets will be handled has not been made.

Last edited by tropicalshox; December 23, 2012, 04:24 AM.
                In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Were you down there by Lynn? She wasn't all that thrilled with Zelton's work either.
                  Yup. I saw her get a little testy. :)
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                    Cle had 10 pts and 4 boards in 37 minutes.
                    Cle was absolutely WINDED last night with 8 minutes to play. Carl out. White out. Who's gonna sub for him? Nobody, that's who. I think the timeouts down the stretch were more to get Cle oxygen than strategy, LOL. And I'm only half kidding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalkatz View Post
                      Also its real nice to be able to enjoy alcohol there. Think how much concessions money college teams are missing out by not offering alcohol. I would have figure by now the greedy folks in the NCAA would have allowed this and take a %
                      That's a school choice, not an NCAA choice. I bet schools have made that decision over the years based on risk assessment. Getting sued by a two-bit, ambulance chasing, seedy, Jayhawk attorney because a purple-blooded, bovine penetrating K-State fan that showed up to one of our games got drunker than Billie Gillispie at the Kentucky Moonshine Madness Fair started going all bareback cowboy on the opposing team's mascot (which just happened to be a sheep), just isn't worth it.

But it would be nice to be able to have a beer from time to time at a game. :)

Comment

• Wifi is a non starter and without a DAS Intrust will always be bad. I just wish I could get AM radio in there ;(

When HCGM took his jacket off I told my wife that **** just got real. I had a great view in section 109. We had row 2 seats but my short wife couldn't see. So we downgraded and our seats were the best we have had at IBA. The lower bowl experience is much improved over the sardine sections in the mountains. After half we had quite a few additional people join us in 109. I'm getting tickets to Tenn early next year as I want to be in that lower bowl.

As for the game itself that first half was bad but I never felt like they gave up. They didn't frustrate me like they did in the first half of the last game. I was holding out hope for a comeback and comeback they did. That has to be one of the great comebacks in shocker history. The final score cracks me up. It looks like we beat them going away. Those of us who were there know the real story.

It is a shame that game wasn't on tv. I want to watch that second half over again

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                          http://arstechnica.com/features/2012...teams-stadium/
                          Wifi is a non starter and without a DAS Intrust will always be bad. I just wish I could get AM radio in there ;(

When HCGM took his jacket off I told my wife that **** just got real. I had a great view in section 109. We had row 2 seats but my short wife couldn't see. So we downgraded and our seats were the best we have had at IBA. The lower bowl experience is much improved over the sardine sections in the mountains. After half we had quite a few additional people join us in 109. I'm getting tickets to Tenn early next year as I want to be in that lower bowl.

As for the game itself that first half was bad but I never felt like they gave up. They didn't frustrate me like they did in the first half of the last game. I was holding out hope for a comeback and comeback they did. That has to be one of the great comebacks in shocker history. The final score cracks me up. It looks like we beat them going away. Those of us who were there know the real story.

It is a shame that game wasn't on tv. I want to watch that second half over again
                          But WSU is deeply connected to Cisco and the Livestrong stadium in Kansas City has a WiFi channel for 80% of every seat in the stadium:

http://www.business2community.com/mo...hnology-038199

Seems to me WSU would be a perfect testing ground for their new technology. :)

Comment

• Dear guy that sat behind me in the first half....I know you are probably not reading this, but we stand until the opponent scores their first basket...thats what we do. I'm sorry I'm 6'3 and you couldn't see but I would rather stand and yell than make you happy.
                            Our section was full of people sitting on their hands looking at me and the people I was with like we had 3 heads for standing and cheering. We moved down at half and it was awesome. Great game, great present for the 9k plus that were there.

Comment

• Originally posted by KSUUWSU View Post
                              That was me all right. Not only did I bring it but a majority on the section I was sitting in did as well. The crowd was terrific tonight and it was great to see the team react to the pandemonium.
                              103? If so, I was just in front of you in the Santa hat...

Man am I glad we pulled that one out. Living in Texas now, it's such a treat to actually get to see the Shox in person...
                              Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                              Students > Alumni
                              If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                              The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

• Thoughts the day after

Coach needs to play WIggins more in the first half. He is slowly figuring it out and more minutes is how he is going to get it. We had some huge dunks last night. Wiggins was my favorite on the follow. His chin was above the rim when he caught the ball and slammed it down. His effort is there he just needs to learn to defend D1 players. He can certainly score. We need this week to get healthy obviously. But beyond the obvious Cotton is only at 70% with a bruised heal and EO isn't fully healed from his ankle. I heard White's back is bothering him but It is very disapointing he didn't man up and play like the other guys. Starting to lose some respect there for a kid I thought was tough. Cotton and Demetric set the tone defensively.

Like coach said these games aren't pretty but the guys are showing heart and grit. It is inspiring to watch...in the second half anyways. :) While it is a struggle now I think going through these tough times will pay big dividends at the end of the year.

Go Shox!

Comment

Working...
                                X