Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to get tougher to find parking spot for basketball games at WSU..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
    People consider parking at WSU to be bad, but it's definitely worse at other places. Even college towns like Manhattan have some of the worst parking problems ever. Like you get a ticket for parking just about anywhere for longer than 30 minutes or if you don't have a permit. If the parking garage is added, it won't be that bad. Granted, that garage will probably be used solely by the students who will be living at the new dorm anyway. I will be fine because I will always park at Phi Delt anyway ;)
    I don't consider parking at WSU bad at all. But you are saying this is a good thing because now we WILL have a parking problem just like at K-State? How is creating a problem improvement? I don't get it?

I understand creating additional housing on campus is a great step forward, and am in favor of it big time (UMKC would be a hell of a model for that). It CAN be done without creating additional parking problems though. You can have both. There is a tremendous amount of relatively cheap real estate surrounding and abutting WSU. All begging to be developed.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
      The Sunflower article confuses me. My math might be weak but 1150 + 700 does not equal 3000 (and this assumes Brennan and Wheatshocker remain in use. How did the Sunflower come up with 3000 beds?
      I think they mean that while the total beds in the new hall will be about 1,850, only 700 people will actually live there because it went out to the lowest bidder and less than half of the toilets are projected to work. That or the unaccounted for 1,150 students will be imported from Oklahoma and Missouri (nonresidents).

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
      Elsewhere it was stated that having 20% of students on campus was a goal. If the enrollment target is 25,000 students, then WSU needs 5000 beds, not 3000 beds. The Sunflower article seems to have some flaws.
      The other articles indicate this is one step in a longer-term plan, so I am guessing they plan on adding additional housing in the future to get to 20% over time?

Comment

This is great news. Its an absolute positive to increase on-campus student housing. Way to go. Dr. Bardo

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          I think my odds are more like this... .00000175, but who's counting.

T

...:cool:
          Obligatory

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            The other articles indicate this is one step in a longer-term plan, so I am guessing they plan on adding additional housing in the future to get to 20% over time?
            Shama Lama Ding Dong!

"This is just the first phase of a long-term plan to increase enrollment at the university. Future additions could include more residence halls along with other improvements. The goal is to have 22-25,000 students attending Wichita State, with as many as a quarter of them living on campus."

Dr. Bardo gets it...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

At some point though, they're going to have to develop areas around campus or use the golf course. They could build on existing lots like they plan to here, but if they continue to do that, they will create a parking issue. Especially if they're adding eight to ten thousand more students.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Have the golf course go down to nine holes or bye-bye. Put lots on the east side. Start a shuttle bus that runs around Perimeter Road during the heavy class times of morning and evening.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Doesn't the land grant for the golf course that prohibit it from being made much smaller than it currently is?

I vaguely remember this being discussed when the new admissions building was constructed, but not well enough to be sure.

Comment

I love this plan but I am slightly dissapointed it is taking up the largest parking spot near most of the buildings. I understand it needs to be done but I wish the parking garage would be big enough for more than just on campus students. Im not lazy by any means but I remember that lot being full many times and parking right near or just to the east of the football stadium and walk to the library, classes etc. Its not too bad of a walk during warm times, but holy crap is that a long walk when the wind is blowing and its 25 degrees out!

Comment

I was always under the impression that the golf course was the area of expansion. They talked about shortening it to nine holes to accommodate the expansion. It just seems that would be the most logical place to start new student housing

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        I don't consider parking at WSU bad at all. But you are saying this is a good thing because now we WILL have a parking problem just like at K-State? How is creating a problem improvement? I don't get it?

I understand creating additional housing on campus is a great step forward, and am in favor of it big time (UMKC would be a hell of a model for that). It CAN be done without creating additional parking problems though. You can have both. There is a tremendous amount of relatively cheap real estate surrounding and abutting WSU. All begging to be developed.
                        I never said that this would actually make the parking problem worse. Also, I feel that the dorms are good for the University, not parking problems. Don't put words in my mouth.

Comment

At first glance, Dr. Bardo appeared to be a candidate for geriatric care (looks can be deceiving); however he’s surprised me and has hit the ground running. The new dorm and parking garage development were on the drawing board prior to Dr. Bardo’s tenure… he simply stepped in and made it a priority. When, if and ever football would return to WSU, Dr. Bardo would be the most likely president to make it happen. Seriously, he won’t be at the helm for 15 years and has a small window of opportunity to change the face of the university forever. He’s a guy who sees the big picture.

Call me impressed!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I agree with the need for new dorms. I disagree that the parking lot south of the football stadium is the ideal place for them. For one, it will look silly to have dorms right on top of our football stadium (even if we don't use it). For another, that parking lot is the largest one that is close to buildings, and is one of the most vital parking lots on campus.

Finally, it seems disingenuous to tell the students they are the priority, but then make the golf course a higher priority than student parking.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                              I never said that this would actually make the parking problem worse. Also, I feel that the dorms are good for the University, not parking problems. Don't put words in my mouth.
                              I unfairly quoted only you, when I really meant to address a lot of the earlier opinions including yours. I should have used multi-quote but always forget that's available.

I do think you meant to imply that the parking situation will get worse (but not for students), so you don't get to weasel out of it completely. LOL But my comment about creating a parking problem is an improvement wasn't really targeted at you specifically. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                                At first glance, Dr. Bardo appeared to be a candidate for geriatric care (looks can be deceiving); however he’s surprised me and has hit the ground running. The new dorm and parking garage development were on the drawing board prior to Dr. Bardo’s tenure… he simply stepped in and made it a priority. When, if and ever football would return to WSU, Dr. Bardo would be the most likely president to make it happen. Seriously, he won’t be at the helm for 15 years and has a small window of opportunity to change the face of the university forever. He’s a guy who sees the big picture.

Call me impressed!

I agree, it's nice to see some new big steps going forward. One thought just came to mind though, if football WERE a long term priority AT ALL for Wichita State, wouldn't preserving the lot closest to the stadium be useful? Again, it seems to me that you can have both increased student housing and additional parking, with just a little bit of diligence.

Comment

Working...
                                X