No announcement yet.

Impressions from the game (Howard):

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember the whole Ragland thing last year, that worked out pretty well. That was damn embarrassing he didn't get his NIT ring with the rest of the team. Joe rose to the occasion and kicked ass. If Mal was being a little prima donnish, which I have no proof of, I think it won't happen again.

Comment

What really hurts us is our lack of time to get in the gym and get these kinks out. Some of these players look like they have honestly never faced a zone defense. I don't think Depaul zones much, but if we get by that one, I guarantee Iowa or Western Kentucky will.

On another note, I know their are a lot of anti KState fans on this board, but it sickens me they lost to a corrupt, hypocritical school like Baylor. Anybody but those guys. Lawmaker is probably doing back flips over his 5-5 team right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Coach also has a lot more than Mal on his plate right now. Granted, some of the the following was due to Mal not playing (even when he was in the game) with the "starters".

We were only up 11-9 at the around the 8:30/8:45 mark of the 1st half and the "starters" had already been in for the second time. A mixed group then ran a 14-5 run to 25-14 when non-starters DWill, White, Cotton, Wiggins, Early mostly finished the half with a 12-0 run to 37-14.

Second half much like the 1st. Starter's were outscored 5-7 in the first 6 minutes. In comes DWill, White, Cotton, Wiggins, and Early and played about 5 1/2 minutes with a 12-7 run, leaving with a 54-28 score and at one point having the biggest margin of a 28 point lead. Starters come back in and over the next 5 minutes get outscored 9-12. Yes, I'm sure had DWill and FVV traded squads, it would have been a little different. We do need Mal in the lineup and, for now, DWill needs to be the 1st backup at PG.

Cold won't like this, but the EO experiment took a step back today. EO, playing with mostly Hall, Wessel, Baker, FVV/Armstead, saw only 9 minutes of action against Howard going 0-0 FG, 0-2 FT, 0 points, 0 Reb, 1 Blk, 1 TO, and 2 PF. Lufile, playing mostly with White/Early, Wiggins, Cotton, and DWill, played 10 minutes with a line of 1-1 FG, 2-3 FT, 4 points, 2 Reb, 1 Stl, 1 Blk, and 0 PF. EO was supposed to own Howard this game, yet, while he was in the game with the "starters", the team was barely better than even with Howard.
        Wiggins minutes will slowly go up and Wessels will slowly go down. Evan will have his moments but Wiggins ability to create his own shot fits much better in Marshall's offense.

While I think FVV will be a good player in time, I am a bit concerned about his tentativeness and his athleticism. When I watched him play last year against really salty competition (top teams from the Chicago area) good athletes gave him trouble. I know he did good on the AAU circuit but nobody plays defense there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Wiggins minutes will slowly go up and Wessels will slowly go down. Evan will have his moments but Wiggins ability to create his own shot fits much better in Marshall's offense.

While I think FVV will be a good player in time, I am a bit concerned about his tentativeness and his athleticism. When I watched him play last year against really salty competition (top teams from the Chicago area) good athletes gave him trouble. I know he did good on the AAU circuit but nobody plays defense there anyway.
          To add, after tonight, I'm not sure I like Baker and Wessel on the floor at the same time. Too much alike or maybe because Mal wasn't there or in top form with them. Didn't like the mass subbing either. This team will be hitting its big stride once Wiggins earns 15+ minutes a game against quality teams.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            Not a chance in the world. Not one. You (and the rest of the Wiggins backers) are nuts. Wiggins's minutes going up? The last time we played a quality opponent (VCU), they went down--to zero. Wessel has shot 50% from 3, over 50% from the field, played great defense, and brought a sense of toughness and hustle. What has Wiggins done exactly? He can create his own shot? Really? Because the 2 shots he hit tonight were his first buckets of the season. Embrace Evan already for pete's sake. He is your starting 3. I am not concerned with how aesthetically pleasing anyone finds his game; he prevents buckets and is efficient offensively.

Also, FVV did not play the "top teams from the Chicago area." Simeon, Marshall, De La Salle, Whitney Young, Proviso East, etc. would be examples of top Chicago teams. FVV played against the kids from the 'burbs. It's not even close. There's not even a quarter the talent in the teams he played. It's not a knock on him--merely a recognition that your statement is inaccurate and to clarify that he is not playing against the "athletes" of the Chicago Public League who are of a much higher quality.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              To add, after tonight, I'm not sure I like Baker and Wessel on the floor at the same time. Too much alike or maybe because Mal wasn't there or in top form with them. Didn't like the mass subbing either. This team will be hitting its big stride once Wiggins earns 15+ minutes a game against quality teams.
              If alike, you mean excellent defenders, threat from deep, physically tough and don't mind mixing it up, take care of the ball (Baker's 3 TO's tonight not withstanding), can score, high BBIQ...I will take that together on the floor at the same time any day.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                If alike, you mean excellent defenders, threat from deep, physically tough and don't mind mixing it up, take care of the ball (Baker's 3 TO's tonight not withstanding), can score, high BBIQ...I will take that together on the floor at the same time any day.
                Thank you. Couldn't have said it better. Consistently frustrated with the Baker/Wessel malcontents who have no basis for said frustration.

Comment

[QUOTE=Shocker91;342888]Not a chance in the world. Not one. You (and the rest of the Wiggins backers) are nuts. Wiggins's minutes going up? The last time we played a quality opponent (VCU), they went down--to zero. Wessel has shot 50% from 3, over 50% from the field, played great defense, and brought a sense of toughness and hustle. What has Wiggins done exactly? He can create his own shot? Really? Because the 2 shots he hit tonight were his first buckets of the season. Embrace Evan already for pete's sake. He is your starting 3. I am not concerned with how aesthetically pleasing anyone finds his game; he prevents buckets and is efficient offensively.

Also, FVV did not play the "top teams from the Chicago area." Simeon, Marshall, De La Salle, Whitney Young, Proviso East, etc. would be examples of top Chicago teams. FVV played against the kids from the 'burbs. It's not even close. There's not even a quarter the talent in the teams he played. It's not a knock on him--merely a recognition that your statement is inaccurate and to clarify that he is not playing against the "athletes" of the Chicago Public League who are of a much higher quality.[/QUOTE

He did play against Proviso East and I thought also Simeon. Look at their schedule last year. The kid for Proviso East ate him up. One game I saw was in an early season tourney and the other was at state.

We will see on the minutes.
                  My money is on Wiggins.

Comment

He played against Proviso East twice. That was it as far as tough, true Chicago powerhouses. He never played Simeon.

As for Wiggins, I will gladly take your money. Why do you think that's even a possibility? How can you ignore that he didn't play a single minute against our only quality opponent (VCU)?

Comment

I just checked the schedule. FVV played Proviso East twice and I watched both games. So get your facts straight smart guy.

Comment

See above post.

Comment

And he was shut down by bigger quicker athletes.

Wiggins didn't play against VCU because he was too soft with the ball and it was his second D 1 game. I'm betting that will change.

Comment

Clearly, saying he played "the top teams in Chicago" when he only played one of them twice is clearly an epic exaggeration that overqualifies the athletes you're talking about.

Comment

I really hope you are right. I want Kansas kids to be a big part of this team.

Comment

[QUOTE=Shocker91;342897]Clearly, saying he played "the top teams in Chicago" when he only played one of them twice is clearly an epic exaggeration that overqualifies the athletes you're talking about.[/QUOTE

I never said he played them every week. Those just happened to be two of the only games I watched. And some guy that signed with a mid major shut him down.

Comment

Working...
                                X