Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
    Going to drop an off topic quick post in this active thread. Just got back from an estate sale in the Moorings housing edition in NW Wichita. It is 1/2 North of 53rd and Meridian in NW Wichita. This estaste sale had a ton of Shocker merchandise. I saw 10 signed team basketballs, framed Jerseys, lots of framed autograph stuff, Shocker clothes (L and XL sizes) etc. This is not my sale and I am not trying to make $ here, but I live in that neighborbood and the estate sale opened at 7AM today. It is a high end house and has a TON of stuff inside. Like 2-3 houses of stuff somehow packed into that house. Anyways, anbody wanting to build a man cave for fairly cheap with Shocker stuff should check it out.
    In my old neck of the woods (Valley Center area). Did it mention how long it's going for?

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
      Hopefully that means McBride is coming. I don't he has visited anyone else since visiting here
      Yes, McBride would be another shooter that seems to have solid handles. A big mystery is our 2 needed Bigs combo Pf/C. A mystery because I never heard of even 1 big that visited. Then I speculate is it Kenny P. ? That would get some mixed reviews. HCPM did make a comment long ago of confidence in his coaching staff and him being very capable in the area of recruiting. We will trust him in that and see what happens in May.

This last week of the portal will spring some more very good players that I'm sure who will be looking for a home. Since the rules are so flimsy these days, maybe they could raise the Ships to 15 to help those left in the fray looking for a home? Show me the money!
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Small world....the Mrs. was there this morning as well. Sent me several pics. Coolers, shirts, balls etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Small world....the Mrs. was there this morning as well. Sent me several pics. Coolers, shirts, balls etc.
          If she's like my wife, you won't have any money left to buy any of those items, by the time she gets done. I had to ban mine from sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
            Going to drop an off topic quick post in this active thread. Just got back from an estate sale in the Moorings housing edition in NW Wichita. It is 1/2 North of 53rd and Meridian in NW Wichita. This estaste sale had a ton of Shocker merchandise. I saw 10 signed team basketballs, framed Jerseys, lots of framed autograph stuff, Shocker clothes (L and XL sizes) etc. This is not my sale and I am not trying to make $ here, but I live in that neighborbood and the estate sale opened at 7AM today. It is a high end house and has a TON of stuff inside. Like 2-3 houses of stuff somehow packed into that house. Anyways, anbody wanting to build a man cave for fairly cheap with Shocker stuff should check it out.
            Did you ask them how much money the estate left as a bequest to Shocker athletics?
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
              Interesting comment that we might have our guys. I wonder who the back up big might be. I’m crossing my fingers we managed to snag the right PG too
              Taylor also mentioned there was a timing issue involved.

What I would guess at this point is that Mills has some guys picked out and there is some mutual interest, but there's an NIL situation that's keeping one (or more) of them from committing. If that's the case, then one (or more) may have to figure out they're asking too much or Armchair needs more $$. Those would be be reasonable timing issues.

Example: McBride wants so much that there's not enough left for a C and a PF. So either McBride comes down with his $$ or signs with another team before the C and PF will (or can) commit.

That's just hypothetical and an example of how timing might play into the recruitment of players where there is mutual interest.

Another timing issue might be waiting for the portal to close before pulling the trigger on any prospects. It would be a shame to have all the schollies filled when an absolute gem showed up in the portal.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Taylor also mentioned there was a timing issue involved.

What I would guess at this point is that Mills has some guys picked out and there is some mutual interest, but there's an NIL situation that's keeping one (or more) of them from committing. If that's the case, then one (or more) may have to figure out they're asking too much or Armchair needs more $$. Those would be be reasonable timing issues.

Example: McBride wants so much that there's not enough left for a C and a PF. So either McBride comes down with his $$ or signs with another team before the C and PF will (or can) commit.

That's just hypothetical and an example of how timing might play into the recruitment of players where there is mutual interest.

Another timing issue might be waiting for the portal to close before pulling the trigger on any prospects. It would be a shame to have all the schollies filled when an absolute gem showed up in the portal.
                If the staff "thinks they have their guys" but they haven't signed because we aren't offering enough NIL .. that's a REALLY bad move on our staff. I don't think they are that dumb. If we "have them" but they can't sign now, its most likely academic timing.

Read an article about Moussa Cisse that due to some academic items, really the only two schools he can transfer to are the ones he's been at before (OSU and Memphis). I'm sure its something similar due to the new transfer rules requiring "good academic standing" at your prior school
                Last edited by Stickboy46; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If the staff "thinks they have their guys" but they haven't signed because we aren't offering enough NIL .. that's a REALLY bad move on our staff. I don't think they are that dumb. If we "have them" but they can't sign now, its most likely academic timing.

Read an article about Moussa Cisse that due to some academic items, really the only two schools he can transfer two are the ones he's been at before (OSU and Memphis). I'm sure its something similar due to the new transfer rules requiring "good academic standing" at your prior school
                  Good point anout waiting for grades before making commitments.

Total misread or misinterpretation of one of my points. There may not be enough NIL $$ available to sign all the guys they have in mind. What do you do? Sign 2 and run yourself out of NIL for the third, or wait to see if players come down on their NIL $$ or wait to see if enough NIL becomes available to get all 3?

I do like the quite reasonable point anout waiting for grades. Doesn't do a bit of good to sign a guy who can't play.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Good point anout waiting for grades before making commitments.

Total misread or misinterpretation of one of my points. There may not be enough NIL $$ available to sign all the guys they have in mind. What do you do? Sign 2 and run yourself out of NIL for the third, or wait to see if players come down on their NIL $$ or wait to see if enough NIL becomes available to get all 3?

I do like the quite reasonable point anout waiting for grades. Doesn't do a bit of good to sign a guy who can't play.
                    I guess my main challenge to your comment was that if you are still negotiating NIL with players (which they aren't supposed to anyways .. but we know it happens), then you don't have the players and you should be looking at others. Its being hinted that the reason we haven't heard of more visits is because they think they have their guys lined up .. that's not the case if you are still trying to work NIL.

To answer your question, if you can sign 2 and they are the ones you want. You do that. You don't risk them all going elsewhere while trying to make sure you get all 3. A bird in hand and all

Comment

• I’m guessing it’s got to be grades related. Cortes issue last year really messed with us.

Comment

• This is the article I was referring to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I guess my main challenge to your comment was that if you are still negotiating NIL with players (which they aren't supposed to anyways .. but we know it happens), then you don't have the players and you should be looking at others. Its being hinted that the reason we haven't heard of more visits is because they think they have their guys lined up .. that's not the case if you are still trying to work NIL.

To answer your question, if you can sign 2 and they are the ones you want. You do that. You don't risk them all going elsewhere while trying to make sure you get all 3. A bird in hand and all
                          The timing has to be academic/eligibility related. It could be to see everything the portal has to offer before filling all the spots. There's also a lot of players that have asked to be released after signing. If you wait until after May 1st I don't think they can be released without needing a waiver (not entirely sure if this is true). It could even be to make sure no one else currently on the roster bails. You just never know whats going to happen and its probably a lot easier to make things official after grades are out and the portal closes. They can also confidently line up announcements so each new pickup gets to a day to have their very own announcement spotlight. But honestly I don't know how any of this works and these are just theories.

Comment

• It also could be those players can't leave until after a certain date to get their last NIL payment.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                              It also could be those players can't leave until after a certain date to get their last NIL payment.
                              Interesting wrinkle .. but very plausible.

Comment

• I thought the academic angle was silly, but most of the guys we've shown interest in would be grad transfers due to the Covid year so I think there might be something to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X