Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

I wouldn’t want them to leave. There is no guarantee we upgrade from any of those guys.
    If we can't upgrade, then it wont matter because we will be resetting in 2 more years with a new coach anyways.

Mills HAS to upgrade the talent this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post

You wild if you think Pohto is a loss
      Kenny had some strengths and some weakness. He wasn't blessed with great athleticism and no doubt played smaller than his 6-10, 243 lb frame. Unfortunately for Kenny, he never did live up to the hype about his ability to knock down perimeter shots. Had he done that I think his value would be much higher.

I was expecting that both Kenny and Isaac would probably enter the portal. I am not surprised to see that Colby entered the portal either although I was hoping he would not.

How much of a loss the departure of any of these 3 guys will be will totally depend on who HCPM is able to find and attract to replace them. Won't know that for sure until next season.

One thing is for certain, the current environment in college basketball makes it extremely difficult to build team chemistry, continuity and leadership especially for the have nots and I for one do not think it is beneficial to the majority of college basketball programs.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 26, 2024, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• May have already been mentioned…I guess this would make Bell the only IB recruited player left?

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
          May have already been mentioned…I guess this would make Bell the only IB recruited player left?
          Ballard
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
            May have already been mentioned…I guess this would make Bell the only IB recruited player left?
            Ballard played one year under IB.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
              One of the other huge problems with the easy transfer system is these dudes love for people to make a big deal out of them. Just look at this list. What 21 year old wouldn't want to see his name in bold type with all the schools chasing him again. This time, it's much better than being recruited in high school. Anyway. Sad. It's a huge problem and another carrot to get them to jump ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm 50/50 on that. Yes, he kept them, but the ones he "kept" from last year really didn't do anything noteworthy. They were bad most of the year with only Cortes and Beverly showing anything worthwhile, but only for a couple games of the year. Its easier to keep guys that aren't in demand. Mills went 50% on those this year by keeping Ballard but losing Rogers.
                While not world beaters, I felt like we improved as a team and as individuals the last third of the year. Degray went from insignificant to contributor, Cortes started making plays and making 3 pointers, Bell played more off-ball and Beverly cut down on stupid mistakes. The good thing is that 3 of them only have one year left so if a younger player can outperform them and take their minutes, that's a good thing. It always helps having senior leadership on the roster, especially guys that have been in the system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

One of the other huge problems with the easy transfer system is these dudes love for people to make a big deal out of them. Just look at this list. What 21 year old wouldn't want to see his name in bold type with all the schools chasing him again. This time, it's much better than being recruited in high school. Anyway. Sad. It's a huge problem and another carrot to get them to jump ship.
                  No question about it. The attention is a huge factor. And not really a good one.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Ballard
                    Oh duh. Of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If we can't upgrade, then it wont matter because we will be resetting in 2 more years with a new coach anyways.

Mills HAS to upgrade the talent this year.
                      Hopefully with 4 scholarships, he can do that. Realistically, there is probably at least one more portal entrant coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                        I might throw up if he ends up at KU.
                        I thought they play defense at ku? No way he goes there. Unless the rug is super desperate these days.
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Give me a break with this.
                          Oh, blow it out your insufferable a**. WSU just lost the greatest 3 pt. shooter they've ever had, who really stepped up big in March, and nothing on deck to replace that production.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                            I thought they play defense at ku? No way he goes there. Unless the rug is super desperate these days.
                            you saw how they finished in conference and the tourney, right? That's after paying their center $2 mill (allegedly). I'm guessing pretty desperate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

While not world beaters, I felt like we improved as a team and as individuals the last third of the year. Degray went from insignificant to contributor, Cortes started making plays and making 3 pointers, Bell played more off-ball and Beverly cut down on stupid mistakes. The good thing is that 3 of them only have one year left so if a younger player can outperform them and take their minutes, that's a good thing. It always helps having senior leadership on the roster, especially guys that have been in the system.
                              Yea I agree we looked better. I'm a little hesitant to say they are the answer though, because we looked better at the same time our schedule got much easier. Beating Memphis was nice but that Memphis team had gone off the rails already. I'd still like to get down to 4 seniors. Then unless we pick up a bunch of 1 year players this year, we won't be looking at replacing half the team for year 3

Comment

• Pohto was a talented player and will do well somewhere where he can be the primary big. And that was the problem. Guys like Pohto would normally be getting a lion's share of the minutes. But he had a guy like Ballard in front of him, so there just weren't enough minutes to keep both of them happy. Pohto was almost always just behind Ballard in both offense and defense and/or the box score.

Ironically we need a backup at the 5 that's not as a good as Pohto so we aren't sacrificing so many of Ballard's minutes to make a slightly more marginal player happy. A new guy that doesn't have expectations of being "the man" and then end up being poison when his minutes are half of what they could be elsewhere.

We need to replace Pohto with a guy that can give us a solid 15 minutes per game, and doesn't expect more. Probably a young guy. Maybe a guy that can be a Ballard in the future, but is a JUCO transfer that doesn't have that 30 minute per game expectation coming in.

This is tricky business.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X