Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Is FAU an almost complete rebuild at this point? May's salary preFinal 4 run was a bit more than $500k, and they doubled it to try and keep him. I guess it wasn't enough. Too bad for him.

I don't know what the costs of living in Boca Raton were/are, but it looks nice.

Ann Arbor on the other hand....

I guess it depends on if those that were Juniors this year bolt now. Which I suppose just about any new job is probably considered a rebuild these days.

I do think you can land some good, young hires in the $500K range. Hell, we could have had IB for that but decided to pay him triple. The question becomes, can you pay more than that when the young guy has some success? I don't know what kind of budget FAU has to work with. I know their basketball facilities are lacking. May talked about that when he took the job and while they've made some upgrades, they probably have the worst basketball facilities in the conference.

I saw somewhere that May is from the Great Lakes area. If so, I guess this job makes more sense than I initially thought for him.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That would be nice but I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect HCPM to have success in the high dollar NIL portion of the portal where guys have a dozen (or more) P-5 teams interested.

Not impossible, but not likely. The question is can he nab a couple of underrated gems that can blossom as Shockers.

I am not convinced NIL is playing that huge of a role. At least not as big as many make it. We all assume everyone is getting thousands. I am just not convinced of that. Maybe the elite of elite players, which they don't come to WSU anyway. But otherwise....I am not convinced. I think is an easy excuse though.

Not enough transparency to know otherwise.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

I am not convinced NIL is playing that huge of a role. At least not as big as many make it. We all assume everyone is getting thousands. I am just not convinced of that. Maybe the elite of elite players, which they don't come to WSU anyway. But otherwise....I am not convinced. I think is an easy excuse though.

I wonder what the tax rate is on some of these. Gotta be close to 50% in some circumstances/areas. I wonder how many of the astute young men are savers.

Comment

Not sure you need that much transparency to know that there is high dollar NIL component to the portal and that WSU does not seem situated to play in that pool. So the questions how would you define "a couple of big gets" that would help HCPM win some fans over. Not sure it can be defined or that it would be the same for everyone.

I think the best we can do at this point is to define the team's needs and see how good of a job HCPM does in addressing those needs. Of course, fans can even disagree on those needs. I see our primary needs for the 3 ships we currently has as a quality point guard, a quality shooting guard, and a quality stretch 4. The final evaluation of success will be game performances next season. I remember how excited this board was last year to get Bijan Cortes and while he did come on at the end of he season he was just so-so overall after screwing up his eligibility for the first 11 games of the season before he got released from jail.

Comment

Not sure you need that much transparency to know that there is high dollar NIL component to the portal and that WSU does not seem situated to play in that pool. So the questions how would you define "a couple of big gets" that would help HCPM win some fans over. Not sure it can be defined or that it would be the same for everyone.

I think the best we can do at this point is to define the team's needs and see how good of a job HCPM does in addressing those needs. Of course, fans can even disagree on those needs. I see our primary needs for the 3 ships we currently has as a quality point guard, a quality shooting guard, and a quality stretch 4. The final evaluation of success will be game performances next season. I remember how excited this board was last year to get Bijan Cortes and while he did come on at the end of he season he was just so-so overall after screwing up his eligibility for the first 11 games of the season before he got released from jail.
            I mean I don't have any specifics on the dollar amounts being thrown around. I have heard plenty of rumors and speculation. Especially in regards to the majority of those that have been in the portal and where they ended up. But definitely nothing official.

I just think there are a lot of assumptions being thrown around. That's all. I don't trust just anything I see or read.

As far as big gets. A proven player that fits our needs that look to be an immediate impact. I am not expecting to get world changers. Just upgrades. That would be a good start. Even if we had tons of NIL money I wouldn't necessarily expect it then either.

I was not sold on Cortes from the beginning. So I never really understood the excitement except for the fact that we just needed a PG. But he wasn't all that impressive at OU. Not proven by any means. He came on stronger at the end of the season. So I am HOPEFUL he can continue to grow.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I mean I don't have any specifics on the dollar amounts being thrown around. I have heard plenty of rumors and speculation. Especially in regards to the majority of those that have been in the portal and where they ended up. But definitely nothing official.

I just think there are a lot of assumptions being thrown around. That's all. I don't trust just anything I see or read.

As far as big gets. A proven player that fits our needs that look to be an immediate impact. I am not expecting to get world changers. Just upgrades. That would be a good start. Even if we had tons of NIL money I wouldn't necessarily expect it then either.

I was not sold on Cortes from the beginning. So I never really understood the excitement except for the fact that we just needed a PG. But he wasn't all that impressive at OU. Not proven by any means. He came on stronger at the end of the season. So I am HOPEFUL he can continue to grow.
              That seems reasonable.

Comment

I see our primary needs for the 3 ships we currently has as a quality point guard, a quality shooting guard, and a quality stretch 4.
                We either need to find a stretch 4 that can deputize as a back-up center. Or a combo guard who can carry the scoring load and play either guard position. Either way, I'm not sure we're filling all of those needs with just 3 scholarships.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

We either need to find a stretch 4 that can deputize as a back-up center. Or a combo guard who can carry the scoring load and play either guard position. Either way, I'm not sure we're filling all of those needs with just 3 scholarships.
                  I don't know. If Pohto stays, the need for another center isn't as big. Though we would lose both of them the following year.

We absolutely need a 4 and preferably one that can step out and knock down a three from time to time.

We absolutely need a 1 as Bell isn't it and Cortez is still a question when it comes to consistency.

We definitely need a wing that can also shoot at a respectable level.

We do have a guy coming in that can in theory play some PG. It's hard to rely on a FR PG right away but I do hope he actually sees action.

We do have another guy who could end up being a dynamic wing. Though he acknowledges that he needs to improve his outside shot.

We have two more wing types that sat the bench last year. Neither one is a great outside shooter I don't think, but both could improve on that and develop.

So I guess with three 'ships, I want a stretch 4, a wing that can knock down open shots, and a PG.

I think that would go a long way in filling the obvious holes and then you have to hope guys like Pipkin, Williams, Joy, and Bamba can make steps to potentially contribute as the season rolls on.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

You mentioned 2 needs so we should be able to fill those needs. However, I agree it won't be easy to reel those guys in even if you do find them.

A combo guard that can carry the scoring load would seem to be a tough ask. Since we have 3 scholarships I could go with a PG who can share the scoring load, a decent shooting guard who might not be quite the dynamic shooter as Colby but one who can get to the basket on occasion and play solid defense.

As far a stretch 4 who fill in at the 5 every know and then, I am intrigued by the D-II player, Jacksen Moni, that posted on the recruiting thread. Looks like a big upgrade over Jacob Germany to me.

One year of eligibility remaining. I think this is Mills' type of guy. Jacksen Moni - 2023-24 - Men's Basketball - Northern State University Athletics (nsuwolves.com) (https://nsuwolves.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jacksen--moni/7830) https://x.com/PDTScouting/status/1770907764212060341?s=20​​

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                      Charlotte, who hired interim HC Aaron Fearne rather than run a competition, have lost 4 of 5 starters to the portal so far.
                      Which 4?

I could only find Milicic, Jackson & Threadkill (which along with Braswell graduating is more than enough to destroy that team).

Comment

• 885 as of 2 pm today.

Comment

• Not sure if this account has any credibility though.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

We do have a guy coming in that can in theory play some PG. It's hard to rely on a FR PG right away but I do hope he actually sees action.
                            From what I've read Zion Pipkin is a PG more than he is anything else. A nice change from the usual "combo guard" who is really just a shooting guard that can handle the ball a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Which 4?

I could only find Milicic, Jackson & Threadkill (which along with Braswell graduating is more than enough to destroy that team).
                              By minutes played Graves and Patterson were top 5 last year and haven't transferred, but I believe the four you listed were often in the starting five. One of the Charlotte accounts posted they had lost 4/5 starters so I am guessing that is what they meant.

Comment

• 907 as of 3:30 pm

Comment

Working...
                                X