Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2024 Edition-Bilas “Let them transfer at Halftime to the opposing team” Portal Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte, who hired interim HC Aaron Fearne rather than run a competition, have lost 4 of 5 starters to the portal so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
      Charlotte, who hired interim HC Aaron Fearne rather than run a competition, have lost 4 of 5 starters to the portal so far.
      Teams move to other Conferences, Coaches to other Teams, Players to other Teams. Follow the money because now it's often about money personified.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

The coaching carousel has been spinning in circles. Seems like there are almost 40-50 head coaching changes so far (or soon to be) in D1. It seems crazy to me that Kentucky would want to replace Calipari. Crazy times. And to think that Michigan settled on Dusty May, when they could have potentially had Calipari? If he's bought out, it's not like he ever has to work again with a $30 million+ buyout.
        At last count, we were sitting at 47. The average is around 60 over the last handful of years.

I believe that 17 of those have been filled, which would leave 30 jobs open at the moment.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'll also say that I think the two AAC jobs that have been filled were good hires. I think we'll see improvement over the next couple of years from both Rice and UTSA.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I'll also say that I think the two AAC jobs that have been filled were good hires. I think we'll see improvement over the next couple of years from both Rice and UTSA.
            I had no idea UTSA had already hired their new coach, so I went over to their board. At least one poster thought $550k was overpaying, and they are dead least in the the AAC (not counting Tulsa Temple and Rice, as we don't know their salaries, but I'm betting they pay more). The next lowest is UNT at 700k.

Comment

I'll also say that I think the two AAC jobs that have been filled were good hires. I think we'll see improvement over the next couple of years from both Rice and UTSA.
              I had even missed Rice's hire. Good for them. I am happy for them.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I had no idea UTSA had already hired their new coach, so I went over to their board. At least one poster thought $550k was overpaying, and they are dead least in the the AAC (not counting Tulsa Temple and Rice, as we don't know their salaries, but I'm betting they pay more). The next lowest is UNT at 700k.
                UTSA fans aren't used to being at a higher level. Claunch is a guy with a lot of upside I think. He had a good run at Nicholls and then surprised a lot of people when he left to be an assistant at Alabama. He's pretty highly thought of though amongst many in the business as a good basketball mind that is seen as one of the better up and comers. He'll have his work cut out for him in San Antonio, but UTSA is going to try and push their basketball program now that football has a nice established place.

Then I think Rice was gifted what appears to be a good hire after what he did at SMU. I'd love to see Rice take that next step as they have all the potential in the world if they want to use it. Admission standards will complicate some things, but they should end up a better program.

It will be interesting to see who FAU ends up hiring.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

UTSA fans aren't used to being at a higher level. Claunch is a guy with a lot of upside I think. He had a good run at Nicholls and then surprised a lot of people when he left to be an assistant at Alabama. He's pretty highly thought of though amongst many in the business as a good basketball mind that is seen as one of the better up and comers. He'll have his work cut out for him in San Antonio, but UTSA is going to try and push their basketball program now that football has a nice established place.

Then I think Rice was gifted what appears to be a good hire after what he did at SMU. I'd love to see Rice take that next step as they have all the potential in the world if they want to use it. Admission standards will complicate some things, but they should end up a better program.

Yeah admissions could be an issue at Rice. But there are ways lol. One of my previous employees had a cousin play at Rice for football. He said, "Look, he is a smart dude...pretty good at school....but NOT Rice smart" lol

And while it's hard to get accepted at Rice. I don't believe they have a real strict admission requirement. When my daughter applied it was SAT/ACT optional and they didn't have a specific GPA requirement. Maybe that has changed. But it's more about they can just accept who they want and be as picky as they want lol.

Granted, then the students have to be successful once on campus...but tutors can help with that lol.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Annual Transfers
                    Year # of Notes:
                    2019 956
                    2020 965
                    2021 1,652
                    2022 1,647
                    2023 1,716
                    2024 349 as of 1:30pm 03/18/2024
                    2024 856 as of 11:30am 03/25/2024
                    Source: ​https://verbalcommits.com/

Comment

• View the profile of UT Martin Skyhawks Guard Jordan Sears on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.

21.6 ppg / 4.6 rpg / 4.5 apg at UT Martin

43% from FG, 43% from three, 84% FT

1.41 A/TO ratio

Comment

• View the profile of Georgetown Hoyas Guard Rowan Brumbaugh on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.

8.3 ppg / 2.2 rpg / 2.6 apg for Georgetown.

41% FG / 37% Three / 79% FT

1.3 A/TO

Offered by WSU out of high school in 2023.

Four star and ranked #90 by 247 out of high school.

Comment

• This is where Mills can start to win some fans over. Hope we can score a couple big gets in the portal.

Comment

• View the profile of UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Guard Elijah Elliott on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.

16.6 ppg / 3.5 rpg / 3 apg last season at UT RGV.

36% FG / 23% Three / 72% FT.

1.07 A / TO.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                              This is where Mills can start to win some fans over. Hope we can score a couple big gets in the portal.
                              That would be nice but I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect HCPM to have success in the high dollar NIL portion of the portal where guys have a dozen (or more) P-5 teams interested.

Not impossible, but not likely. The question is can he nab a couple of underrated gems that can blossom as Shockers.

Comment

Is FAU an almost complete rebuild at this point? May's salary preFinal 4 run was a bit more than $500k, and they doubled it to try and keep him. I guess it wasn't enough. Too bad for him.

I don't know what the costs of living in Boca Raton were/are, but it looks nice.

Ann Arbor on the other hand....

Comment

Working...
                                X