Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• nm
      Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; July 12, 2024, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Title IX will apply to college athlete revenue share, feds say
        The U.S. Department of Education said Title IX rules will apply to future revenue dollars payments that schools share with college athletes but declined to offer guidance on how schools should distribute the money between men and women.

By Paula Lavigne and Dan Murphy
        Jul 16, 2024, 10:58 AM ET

"An official for the U.S. Department of Education, the federal enforcer of gender equity in sports, said Title IX rules will apply to future revenue dollars that schools share with college athletes, but the department declined to offer guidance on how schools should distribute the money between men and women to comply with the broad language of the law.

"Schools must provide equal athletic opportunities based on sex, including with respect to benefits, opportunities, publicity, and recruitment, and must not discriminate in the provision of financial aid," Catherine Lhamon, the assistant secretary for the department's Office for Civil Rights, said in a written statement to ESPN. "In the new NIL environment, these same principles apply."..."​

Comment

• This will end well.

Comment

• It's the department of education, total idiocy expected.
            It will be great for lawyers taking challenges to schools and great for Democrats as it will feed division of Americans and provide further excuses for victimhood.

Comment

• First, the Department of Education shouldn't exist. Schools were doing much better before its inception.

Second, there's no way to make distributions even without either way underpaying the male athletes that help generate the tons of money brought in or way overpaying the female athletes that do much less. I don't hate women's sports as a whole, but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand the economics behind the financials.

Third, NIL has given us back a college football game for gamers, but it's also forced a few of the best things about those old games out of use and that pisses me off too.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• 1. Determine the percent of total revenue for men's sports and women's sports. Leave track and field out for now.

2. That's the percentage to apply to the amount to be distributed to the athletes by gender. That's equitable because it accurately reflects their value based on revenue generated.

3. Determine how much to distribute to each individual. THEN SUBTRACT AMOUNTS SPENT ON TUITION. BOOKS. ROOM AND BOARD. STIPENDS, ETC. If the athletes are employees, then their total "salary" package should be looked at to determine their mandated pay.
                Last edited by Aargh; July 17, 2024, 10:47 AM.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• nm
                  Last edited by Kung Wu; July 18, 2024, 11:42 AM.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Sad how the government injects itself into everything, making everything political. Even amateur athletics. I almost forgot that this is a basketball thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
                      Sad how the government injects itself into everything, making everything political. Even amateur athletics. I almost forgot that this is a basketball thread.
                      Oof, good point. Out of respect for Shockernet I will remove my earlier post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Oof, good point. Out of respect for Shockernet I will remove my earlier post.
                        I did it too. It's just a fact that makes discussion difficult to keep politics out of many conversations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I did it too. It's just a fact that makes discussion difficult to keep politics out of many conversations.
                          Yeah, and when it intersects it's perfectly fair game in the basketball forum. But we have enough of a political ****-show going on right now, so it's better to just refrain from discussing in the basketball at this time, IMO.

Comment

• With the increase in the number of scholarships that can given out there will most certainly be an increase in the amount of money needed to fund those scholarships. I once posed a question to former President Donald Beggs about what it actually cost the university for an athletic scholarship' He replied except for the cost of food and housing it cost nothing. Does the Athletic Department actually write a check to the University for X number of hours enrolled in ? Isn't it all really going from one pocket to another? Why wouldn't the University extend a little quid pro quo towards the Athletic Department and reduce the amount needed for the "student Athlete". Using the reasoning (or lack there of) behind NIL doesn't the Athletic Department through it's athletic programs raise the image/value of the University and deserve some monetary benefit? These are just random questions that I have from time to time but still is something like this even possible?

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I updated my account. It's under rewards if you have the app.
                                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
                                X