No announcement yet.

A New Type of NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don’t have football and we have a lot of alumni that will spend on winners. We’re just going to take more time to dust off the wallets. Getting people to physically attend games is our current priority.

Comment

• CBS Sports asked college basketball coaches how much they had been asked to pay for a player

$2 million or more .......................10.4%
      Between $1 million and $2 million .40.6%
      Less than $1 million ....................49.0%​

51% have been asked to pay $1 million or more for a player.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• In the past we went to the games to support the players and the program. Now all either of them want is just cash.

We sustained a top 40 program for decades with passion, pride, work ethic, and adequate investment. We punched way above our weight. Investing today like we invested in the past will fund an intramural level team.

The players can't look the fans in the face and the fans can't look the players in the face. Coaches are relegated to babysitter.

How is anybody supposed to get excited about this?

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          In the past we went to the games to support the players and the program. Now all either of them want is just cash.

We sustained a top 40 program for decades with passion, pride, work ethic, and adequate investment. We punched way above our weight. Investing today like we invested in the past will fund an intramural level team.

The players can't look the fans in the face and the fans can't look the players in the face. Coaches are relegated to babysitter.

How is anybody supposed to get excited about this?
          we have a roster of players that are playing for peanuts in comparison to the current "market". Ballard turned down six figures to come back to Wichita. The guys on this team want to be here to compete for championships and better their opportunities for a future in basketball. You can hate where the game is going but don't let that temper your enthusiasm for supporting this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

we have a roster of players that are playing for peanuts in comparison to the current "market". Ballard turned down six figures to come back to Wichita. The guys on this team want to be here to compete for championships and better their opportunities for a future in basketball. You can hate where the game is going but don't let that temper your enthusiasm for supporting this team.
            I guess this is our silver lining now, a guy turning down $125k to come back and play for $85k.

The good news is, on average most scouts were historically wildly off on their talent evaluations. So there will still be opportunities to nab a golden goose for "peanuts". Now whether or not he stays when the offers start flooding his inbox the following year is something else.

It's still VERY hard for me to support college basketball. I am trying to wrap my mind around the new reality. Not going well. I'd still prefer to watch it all burn to the ground.

Comment

• I agree, it's tough. It's gonna be tough to develop talent anymore, by any team. This year we have 9 seniors on the roster, most of them are here for one year only. We'll likely refill the roster next year with more juniors and seniors, so the young guys never get a chance to see the floor and probably move on to a lower level program where they can play. I don't like it, but still want Mills and the team to have success.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

It's still VERY hard for me to support college basketball. I am trying to wrap my mind around the new reality. Not going well. I'd still prefer to watch it all burn to the ground.
                Vaccine injury?

Comment

• Here's a new type of NIL -- Politics continues to infect every nook and cranny of our lives:

Montana Group Offering to Pay College Athletes to Endorse Senator Jon Tester by Way of NIL Deals

​A group called "Montana Together" has recently begun contacting student-athletes at the University of Montana, offering payments in exchange for promoting Montana Democrat Senator Jon Tester's reelection bid. The group initially began contacting athletes in July through "Opendorce.com," The website is a platform where student-athletes can secure Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) deals. Payments ranged from $400 for two scripted videos to $800 for two unscripted videos and $2,400 for four unscripted videos to "spread the word" about Tester, who is in a tight race for reelection.

Oops, looks like Tester my have to focus mostly on the paid endorsements from male athletes:

While this might be a tempting offer for a poor, starving college student, it is a rather curious one for female athletes in particular. One of those female athletes who made the offer public said it was "immediately frustrating." Why? Because Jon Tester was one of 51 Democrats who voted against the "Protection of Women and Girls in Sports" Act.​ "When I first received the NIL deal offer, I immediately felt frustration. I had to ask myself, ‘Why would someone seek my endorsement when their values directly negatively impact me?’ Tester's vote against the Protection of Women and Girls in Sports Act is against everything I’ve worked toward as a female athlete. This vote is a gateway to biological men taking away scholarships, medals and roster spots from female athletes. Many female athletes on my team shared this frustration."

Tester's campaign claims they do not know about any of these payment offers and have no communication with Montana Together. It would be wise if Tester didn't have anything to do with the offer of payments to female student athletes, and he may come to regret that "no" vote.​

Comment

• This is what I think of NIL...

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Vaccine injury?
                      Nothing to report!

Comment

and we have a lot of alumni that will spend on winners. We’re just going to take more time to dust off the wallets.
                        I'm a bit sceptical

Comment

We don’t have football and we have a lot of alumni that will spend on winners. We’re just going to take more time to dust off the wallets. Getting people to physically attend games is our current priority.
                          But do we need money spent to BECOME a winner? Is that the rub that we face? I could easily see some being in the camp of "I'll donate again when they are good", but it takes NIL money to get the players to get good. I hope we don't get caught in a catch-22.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Some reading material from Taylor on Armchair's efforts:
                            Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockrah View Post
                              Some reading material from Taylor on Armchair's efforts:
                              https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...al/ar-AA1qnKN3
                              $2.5 Million is needed, is that total or per year? We're at $500k this year, that's a long way from $2.5M.

Comment

$2.5 Million is needed, is that total or per year? We're at $500k this year, that's a long way from $2.5M.
                                I interpreted 2.5 million per year to be in the top third of the AAC in NIL for mens and womens basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X