A New Type of NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post
    Saal and Mills see NIL as a more valuable tool for retention than recruiting. I'm fine with this. Unless you're bringing in the top tier you're not going to have to throw a lot of money around right away.

Saal wants a NIL budget of $7-900,000 for men’s basketball Seems to be a low but achievable goal. Not that I want to get into bidding wars or whatever, but I'd prefer a little more cushion.

Student Athletic perception of WSU is above average in their polling group which included 40 P5. Integrity and caring about the person polling questions, WSU scored extremely high on. Student Athletes would recommend other athletes choose Wichita state at a 38% higher rate than average. Not really surprised by this at all.

Blueprint Sports will be hiring a GM to oversee NIL. Has not happened yet. Must be hard.

WSU NIL is in the $2.5-3mil range. If this is where it sits, how is the MBB budget only around 300-400K? I know there is money to be spent elsewhere but it doesn't have to be evenly distributed amongst sports. Less than 20% is going to the sport that drives all athletic funding on campus? I know baseball, softball, and volleyball all need and deserve a piece as they can be sports that shine, but I'd still think the MBB allotment would be higher than the 16% or so the numbers seem to indicate. (Though it's early and I'm not fully awake so maybe I miscalculated)

NIL video coming this week. I'm not sure what this means. Guess we'll find out if it accomplishes anything.

NOT looking for hired guns. Wants players who want to be here to build a program around. I can respect this. Though the occasional gun might not be a bad thing.

QBs family spent $50k on travel to watch his games. Kenny paid for his family to come watch mid season.

Athletic Dept funding in the AAC is 3x what it was in the MVC. The media rights payout is something like 5x what it was in the MVC as well. Not that it covers all expenses, just saying.

Some season ticket prices will be reduced. Definitely needed with the state of the program over the last handful of years. Going to guess it won't make a big difference though until results improve.

NIL contract are not binding, meaning players can transfer and you cannot restrict that. Wasn't this common knowledge?

Saal thinks that NIL will become a line-item in a budget.

Really harping the $500 from 5000 alumni. This is a good way to try to get the 'Average Joe' involved and feel like they're helping. And it adds up.

Many schools spend 1-5mil on their basketball team. ACS had $320,000 for men’s basketball but did not spend that much. AAC average is $500,000 for men’s basketball. We shouldn't aim for average. You don't have to spend it all every year, but I'd like to see seven figures be the allotment for the program at some point. A lot of the AAC are schools still growing and developing who and what they can be at this level. That average will grow.

Expectations are to be top 1/3 in the nation in every sport. That should be the goal. Which would mean MBB needs to be in the top 120 or so, and they need to be much better than that as the program that drives the bus. Softball is doing its part. You'd think baseball and volleyball should be able to achieve that goal and then some. I don't know how some of the other sports are ranked or where they stand as a program. WBB has a long way to go.

Saal says he’s been a shocker fan since he was 6 or 7. Happy to be back in the state.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      To be clear .. i'm 99% sure hes saying the GOAL of WS NIL is 2.5-3 Mil, not that we have it already. so a third or higher will go to MBB

Comment

I agree with pretty much everything you said, Sub. Spot on.

Comment

• The podcast was a pretty good listen. ADKS seems to be forward-thinking and committed to the program. I'm sure he walked into a total disaster and he seems to be working hard to right the ship.

Comment

• Saal will be on with Shane Dennis around 1:25 this afternoon to talk about this as well.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Add two more to the list…
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Letter from the AD: Name, Image and Likeness

https://goshockers.com/news/2024/3/2...-likeness.aspx

Comment

• I'm in, screw it. I've spent $500 in worse ways. Plus, you can pick which sport to contribute to.
                    "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                    Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
                      I'm in, screw it. I've spent $500 in worse ways. Plus, you can pick which sport to contribute to.
                      Being able to designate funds is super important. I'm in.

Comment

• Did he really say he needs 300k-400k for women's basketball?

Maybe I missed it but did he touch on the Alston Grant/Awards and how that fits in with this?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          Did he really say he needs 300k-400k for women's basketball?

Maybe I missed it but did he touch on the Alston Grant/Awards and how that fits in with this?
                          Said they will start implementing Alston funds. He said those are especially helpful for sports outside of basketball/baseball/softball because NIL hasn't really been a big factor in those sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Did he really say he needs 300k-400k for women's basketball?

That's what I heard. $200k for baseball and softball. Did not throw out a number for volleyball.. I kind of raised my eyebrows to that as well. I would think baseball, volleyball and softball would all be given priority over women's basketball at Wichita State. I assume you need prioritized on allocating the NIL to the sports that have the best potential for increasing ticket revenue. I guess there is a lot upside for WBB from its current very low revenue base but at this point in time job #1 is to get men's basketball going strong again. If you don't do that what you do for these other sports may not all that relevant.

He did mention the Alston Grants/Awards as something they would look at especially for what he called the Olympic sports which I assume he meant the golf, tennis, and track & field programs where NIL is not very much of a factor at this point.

Comment

• Wow. I'm a "Seed Sower" I haven't had that designation since I got snipped. Yes KW that is the proper verb and not to be confused with Sniped.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That's what I heard. $200k for baseball and softball. Did not throw out a number for volleyball.. I kind of raised my eyebrows to that as well. I would think baseball, volleyball and softball would all be given priority over women's basketball at Wichita State. I assume you need prioritized on allocating the NIL to the sports that have the best potential for increasing ticket revenue. I guess there is a lot upside for WBB from its current very low revenue base but at this point in time job #1 is to get men's basketball going strong again. If you don't do that what you do for these other sports may not all that relevant.

He did mention the Alston Grants/Awards as something they would look at especially for what he called the Olympic sports which I assume he meant the golf, tennis, and track & field programs where NIL is not very much of a factor at this point.
                                Well apparently that is what his goal is to be top 1/3 like he said. I doubt he is the one prioritizing anything, just what he feels they would need to be competitive.

In fact, pretty sure he said he can't dictate any of the funds....etc.
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X