A New Type of NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

I haven’t lived in Wichita for 35 years but have followed the basketball and baseball programs from afar. So I’m not a SASO or season ticket holder. But I just joined Wheatshocker Collective to do my small, monthly part. Maybe there are other out of area Shocker fans who are doing the same.
    It will be tough, but it is possible I think, but will require a much better and marketing and sales job that we have seen so far, They are going to have to convince the average fan to join in with more than just saying NIL is important and that probably will require far more transparency than what we have not seen so far regarding what they have done and are doing and how they are doing it.

Perhaps some athlete testimonials saying how much their NIL opportunities mean to them, what they have done to earn them and how thankful they are to have received them.

It might also be helpful if they could get some of the big boys willing to put up a decent amount of matching fund commitments.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

• If the public is asking for more transparency then just be honest with them and lose the NIL moniker. Sell it to the public what is really is. Pay to play. Or in simpler terms...Donate dolla's to the playa's. People will understand it that way.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I hope you have Instagram, cause this is pretty good…

30K likes, 822 comments - 247sports on February 15, 2024: "Tulsa Head Coach Kevin Wilson is as honest as one can be when it comes to recruiting 🏈 (🎥: TJEckertKTUL/ X) #cfb #collegefootball"
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Comment

• Saal and Mills see NIL as a more valuable tool for retention than recruiting.

Saal wants a NIL budget of $7-900,000 for men’s basketball

Student Athletic perception of WSU is above average in their polling group which included 40 P5. Integrity and caring about the person polling questions, WSU scored extremely high on. Student Athletes would recommend other athletes choose Wichita state at a 38% higher rate than average.

Blueprint Sports will be hiring a GM to oversee NIL. Has not happened yet.

WSU NIL is in the $2.5-3mil range.

NIL video coming this week.

NOT looking for hired guns. Wants players who want to be here to build a program around.

QBs family spent $50k on travel to watch his games. Kenny paid for his family to come watch mid season.

Athletic Dept funding in the AAC is 3x what it was in the MVC.

Some season ticket prices will be reduced.

NIL contract are not binding, meaning players can transfer and you cannot restrict that.

Saal thinks that NIL will become a line-item in a budget.

Really harping the $500 from 5000 alumni.

Many schools spend 1-5mil on their basketball team. ACS had $320,000 for men’s basketball but did not spend that much. AAC average is $500,000 for men’s basketball.

Expectations are to be top 1/3 in the nation in every sport.

Saal says he’s been a shocker fan since he was 6 or 7. Happy to be back in the state.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Well just got done watching a little Shocker Baseball at the ECK and logged on here and the first topic was this one with a plea from MK so I joined several others on here for my 500.00 Go Shocks

Comment

• Thanks for the summary shock !

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                  Saal and Mills see NIL as a more valuable tool for retention than recruiting.

Student Athletic perception of WSU is above average in their polling group which included 40 P5. Integrity and caring about the person polling questions, WSU scored extremely high on. Student Athletes would recommend other athletes choose Wichita state at a 38% higher rate than average.

NOT looking for hired guns. Wants players who want to be here to build a program around.

QBs family spent $50k on travel to watch his games. Kenny paid for his family to come watch mid season.

NIL contract are not binding, meaning players can transfer and you cannot restrict that.

Many schools spend 1-5mil on their basketball team. ACS had $320,000 for men’s basketball but did not spend that much. AAC average is $500,000 for men’s basketball.

Saal says he’s been a shocker fan since he was 6 or 7. Happy to be back in the state.

This interview was confusing. Want to gather thoughts before I make a post on it.
                  Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                    It's a very good listen.
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                      Saal and Mills see NIL as a more valuable tool for retention than recruiting.

Other notes I remember being mentioned

Mentioned 450k being raised so far

Said Armchair started in Mid 2022 (or around there) but "didn't get our first NIL dollar until Jan 6th 2023" ... which is a weird statement because I know I personally donated right when armchair went up and I'm sure other on here did also. I have a receipt from May of 2022 .. maybe he's just meaning "big boy" NIL dollars from the big donors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Said Armchair started in Mid 2022 (or around there) but "didn't get our first NIL dollar until Jan 6th 2023" ... which is a weird statement because I know I personally donated right when armchair went up and I'm sure other on here did also. I have a receipt from May of 2022 .. maybe he's just meaning "big boy" NIL dollars from the big donors.
                        Maybe the school didn't see it until Jan. Armchair is a collective and probably does not distribute it immediately. Could even hold it until WSU needed to hold a guy at semester break

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Maybe the school didn't see it until Jan. Armchair is a collective and probably does not distribute it immediately. Could even hold it until WSU needed to hold a guy at semester break
                          Very possible. I think it just speaks to the lack of transparency from Armchair though .. hopefully the new group is better

Comment

450 K of what? The $500 donations or just overall?

I want to listen tomorrow.

Off the top just reading yalls comments and reading what some other teams are paying - I feel like we may be setting some of our sights too low.

We’re gonna need to be competitive. Maybe not match dollar for dollar. But it’s got to be close.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

450 K of what? The $500 donations or just overall?

I want to listen tomorrow.

Off the top just reading yalls comments and reading what some other teams are paying - I feel like we may be setting some of our sights too low.

We’re gonna need to be competitive. Maybe not match dollar for dollar. But it’s got to be close.
                              He didn't specify. Could have been a total over time figure, could be for this year, could be the "500" donations

Comment

I had also donated, but when I looked at my membership portal pre-rebrand it said my initial payment was "pending". I'm not sure if I ever actually paid, despite getting something from them saying that I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X