WICHITA STATE (11-17, 3-12), At (UAB 18-9, 10-4) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post

That was last year. Projected spending per year is 3.5 million.

Oh, and they raised that 1 mil in 3 months.
    Still digging deep for excuses huh? Poor ole HCPM. Can't compete in recruiting with a school that had never been ranked in their entire existence until this week.

Their numbers in NIL are irrelevant unless you can break it out by program. Most likely nearly all of whatever they get goes to football. They didn't land prized big name recruits.. they just evaluated well then fit their system to their players. HCPM did neither. Let's hope he doesn't repeat those mistakes again and you guys keep giving him excuses.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Ref I'm probably you're biggest fanboy... seriously, I love everything you bring to this board...but this is just a bad take with all the contrary evidence leading to 0-5 record vs. fellow AAC first year coaches. And then we see what's going on in Tampa.

Not your finest hour. I have full confidence you'll bounce back.
      Boston,
      Sorry to disappoint...but...
      Do you think if there were quality PG's available anywhere in the country, HCPM said "Naaa, we don't need em. We've got Xavier and Cortes coming so we're good!"
      Not hardly.
      He was picking through the leftovers from others teams down the bench guys looking for a new pad to land.
      And, that's what he ended up with.
      He wasn't sure if he could talk Pohto into staying so he grabbed Germany. Sometimes when you swing, you hit the ball. Other times, you just plain ol miss.

Oooof!

Kind of reminds me of the Oakland A's, who are infamous for grabbing castoff players off the junk pile.
      Sometimes they find a jewel in the coal pile. Most times they don't.

Look I'm not happy with this season. It sucks to relive the 90's and dreading selection Sunday cuz you know it isn't happening.

But give HCPM and his staff a chance to hit the recruiting road and of course, the portal.

I have it first hand that Pipkin will come in here and start next year. Williams is a player too. But they need more and its on them to go get the right guys.

I said straight up, if they are residing in the AAC toilet again this time next year, then I will have to reluctantly agree with Stickboy.

I really hope that doesn't happen.

That is all.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Boston,
        Sorry to disappoint...but...
        Do you think if there were quality PG's available anywhere in the country, HCPM said "Naaa, we don't need em. We've got Xavier and Cortes coming so we're good!"
        Not hardly.
        He was picking through the leftovers from others teams down the bench guys looking for a new pad to land.
        And, that's what he ended up with.
        He wasn't sure if he could talk Pohto into staying so he grabbed Germany. Sometimes when you swing, you hit the ball. Other times, you just plain ol miss.

Oooof!

Kind of reminds me of the Oakland A's, who are infamous for grabbing castoff players off the junk pile.
        Sometimes they find a jewel in the coal pile. Most times they don't.

Look I'm not happy with this season. It sucks to relive the 90's and dreading selection Sunday cuz you know it isn't happening.

But give HCPM and his staff a chance to hit the recruiting road and of course, the portal.

I have it first hand that Pipkin will come in here and start next year. Williams is a player too. But they need more and its on them to go get the right guys.

I said straight up, if they are residing in the AAC toilet again this time next year, then I will have to reluctantly agree with Stickboy.

I really hope that doesn't happen.

That is all.
        All of us are giving him a SECOND chance to hit the portal and recruiting trail. He had the same chance as every other coach last time and swung and missed. Realistically he gets 3 chances total (including this past year)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Still digging deep for excuses huh? Poor ole HCPM. Can't compete in recruiting with a school that had never been ranked in their entire existence until this week.

Their numbers in NIL are irrelevant unless you can break it out by program. Most likely nearly all of whatever they get goes to football. They didn't land prized big name recruits.. they just evaluated well then fit their system to their players. HCPM did neither. Let's hope he doesn't repeat those mistakes again and you guys keep giving him excuses.
          This team cost USF $478,000, according to the USF Oracle.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

This team cost USF $478,000, according to the USF Oracle.
            Link? Google search doesn't bring up any specifics that I can find

Comment

Link? Google search doesn't bring up any specifics that I can find
              Whoops. Thats the basketball team expenses that the school paid. Football was 2.2mil and basketball was 478, so it made sense based on the 3.5 mil supposed expenditure reported by their collective.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

All of us are giving him a SECOND chance to hit the portal and recruiting trail. He had the same chance as every other coach last time and swung and missed. Realistically he gets 3 chances total (including this past year)
                I'm calling BS. You have lobbied against PM since day 1, and you do it day and night. Your frequency of posts makes me worry about your well being. Do you work? Do you sleep? Do you have anything in your life besides SN? Not trying to slam you, but seriously wonder about your frame of mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I'm calling BS. You have lobbied against PM since day 1, and you do it day and night. Your frequency of posts makes me worry about your well being. Do you work? Do you sleep? Do you have anything in your life besides SN? Not trying to slam you, but seriously wonder about your frame of mind.
                  I'm fine but thanks for the concern. I wanted to be wrong about him .. but so far I've been way more right than wrong. I didn't like the hire but was excited for a change. Then I was REALLY disappointed in who he brought in. I remember getting crucified in the spring/summer when I said something to the effect of "HCPM recruited a bunch of backups, not a single one is an AAC-Level starter. Which would be fine except the only players we are returning are backups, so we have a whole team of backups". I think most would agree now .. that I was 100% right on that claim. I wish I was wrong, because being right about it means we have a couple more years of this crap.

The main reason i'm so adamant about calling out misplacing blame or making excuses is they need to know they don't have 5 years to build this program back up. I don't agree that this year had to be a throw away year. The transfer portal allows you to compete instantly. HCPM actually has a better chance this year than a normal year because EVERYONE is fair game, there are no waivers needed for next year. There will be lots of movement this year. HCPM needs to know we don't allow excuses here. He has to hit home runs in the next 2 months.

As far the rest of the excuses (like NIL etc) ... they ultimately don't matter. Coaches are graded on results. He gets his millions no matter what. There is no sliding scale due to whatever excuse is thrown out. If you can't recruit due to NIL, then you better damn well be a good x and o coach. If you can't do x and o's you better figure out how to recruit, which means you need to find a way to fundraise for NIL funds. Doesn't matter whether it's HCPM, FHCIB, or we bring in Coach K .. you don't get 3-5 years of crap results when your team is constantly being reset. So far HCPM is questionable on X and Os based on how we keep failing at doing the same stuff over and over, he gets an F- for his first recruiting class and I'm pretty sure fundraising is at an all time low (which while is only part his fault, he's still ultimately graded on it. He wont get a pass just because funds aren't raised).

Comment

• So why do you say, all of us are giving him a second chance. Quite obvious that you would fire him yesterday if given the power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
                      So why do you say, all of us are giving him a second chance. Quite obvious that you would fire him yesterday if given the power.
                      Actually no. He gets three years, not just from a financial standpoint but from a fair attempt standpoint. I've never advocated for firing him ( besides obviously sarcastic statements like talking about a return policy). I just am not of the opinion that he gets a pass this year. Some people are waiting to start the clock until year 2 or maybe even year 3. I'm not. His fair attempt for me is to show dramatic progress by the end of year 3 starting from the day he accepted the job offer

Criticism=/= advocating for firing

Comment

• So has Colby Rogers shifted into resume' polishing mode in preparation for his next stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          So has Colby Rogers shifted into resume' polishing mode in preparation for his next stop.
                          I was wondering the same thing after seeing some intensity and desire in that last game. Yeah, there may be a number of players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

A soccer player wouldn't even miss the next 3 minutes. Just a little magic cold spray on the sideline to make it look good and get back in there.

Is there Magic Hot Spray? I thought it was just Magic Spray..........

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              So has Colby Rogers shifted into resume' polishing mode in preparation for his next stop.
                              Odds Colby Jones is back next year?

Comment

Actually no. He gets three years, not just from a financial standpoint but from a fair attempt standpoint. I've never advocated for firing him ( besides obviously sarcastic statements like talking about a return policy). I just am not of the opinion that he gets a pass this year. Some people are waiting to start the clock until year 2 or maybe even year 3. I'm not. His fair attempt for me is to show dramatic progress by the end of year 3 starting from the day he accepted the job offer

Criticism=/= advocating for firing
                                I'm trying to decide if I think this year "starts the clock" or not. I think that because of how bad this year is, next year he needs 20+ wins to make me feel good going into year three.

Comment

Working...
                                X