Deb Farris: WSU To Look into Bringing Football Back in Next 3-4 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
    Okay if we want to talk TV markets I looked up the TV markets for several FBS teams and found many in smaller, even much smaller markets than Wichita. I am sure there are many more, I just did a quick review:

Lousiana-Monroe, Monroe, LA TV market #137
    Univ. of Nevada, Reno, NV TV market #108
    Colorado St., Colorado Springs, CO TV market #90
    UTEP & New Mexico St., El Paso TV market #91 (2 FBS teams share the #91 TV market!)
    Bowling Green U, Bowling Green OH TV market #182
    Troy, Dothan TV market #169
    Univ. of Hawaii, Honolulu TV market #71
    Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg-Laurel, MS TV Market #167
    Wyoming, Laramie-Cheyenne-Scottsbluff TV market #195
    North Texas St, Wichita Falls Tv market?#142
    Fresno St, Fresno Tv market, #55 (but every local channel is a UHF channel- an all UHF market)

Nielsen lists Wichita at #67 for 2012, we were #68 for 2011.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...enetration.pdf
    May want to edit Colorado St. It's located in Ft. Collins, not Colorado Springs and probably considered part of the "Denver area".

Comment

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Collins_%E2%80%93_Loveland_Metropolitan_Stati stical_Area

I guess that would be a NO!!
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
        Okay if we want to talk TV markets I looked up the TV markets for several FBS teams and found many in smaller, even much smaller markets than Wichita. I am sure there are many more, I just did a quick review:

Lousiana-Monroe, Monroe, LA TV market #137
        Univ. of Nevada, Reno, NV TV market #108
        Colorado St., Colorado Springs, CO TV market #90
        UTEP & New Mexico St., El Paso TV market #91 (2 FBS teams share the #91 TV market!)
        Bowling Green U, Bowling Green OH TV market #182
        Troy, Dothan TV market #169
        Univ. of Hawaii, Honolulu TV market #71
        Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg-Laurel, MS TV Market #167
        Wyoming, Laramie-Cheyenne-Scottsbluff TV market #195
        North Texas St, Wichita Falls Tv market?#142
        Fresno St, Fresno Tv market, #55 (but every local channel is a UHF channel- an all UHF market)

Nielsen lists Wichita at #67 for 2012, we were #68 for 2011.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...enetration.pdf
        Out of those listed, how many of their athletic departments are in the black? What % of their revenue is from student fees? How many pay their basketball coach 1 million a year?

For those that are more hesitant on football it's not a single thing, but a combination of many. Any single one can be refuted, but the combination of all of those are harder to address at once.

Comment

• This is the kind of story that would make WSU look good. :rolleyes-new: http://www.kansas.com/2012/09/21/249...py-recent.html
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Where is the big athletic budget and results bump that occurred when WSU dropped football? Some of you sound as if WSU would cease to exist if the Shox had retained the football program. How about then WSU AD Lew "the screw" Perkins rolling up his sleeves and raising some money in the state's largest city?

Two paths and WSU took the road less likely to yield results. They took the easy road.
            DF (during football)
            -- 5 NCAA basketball appearances going 6-6 with a Final Four and 2 Regional Finals
            -- In 1980s, WSU football beating Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State
            -- Enrollment numbers continue to trend upward

AF (after football)
            -- 4 NCAA basketball appearances going 2-4 (2 of those appearances happened within 2 years from WSU dropping football)
            -- 1 National Championship 3 years removed from WSU dropping football (many recruited during when WSU HAD football)
            -- Enrollment numbers quickly trend down and barely start to grow resulting in stagnation (while Wichita metro area grows at a much faster rate)

Facilities:
            What great facility expansion has occurred? Where is the VB only facility? Where is the women's basketball only facility? Where is the master plan of the baseball stadium in contrast to a hodgepodge built stadium. CKA was refurbished ONCE in a 50 year period (thank you CK).

I get the premise that WSU would see additional dollars for other programs once the football program was dropped.
            However, I don't believe any athletic director (excluding perhaps ADJS who drove to finally get HLA refurbished) really endeavored to move WSU athletics to the next level. I understand that WSU can pay HCGM $1m+/year in part because of a lack of football. I understand WSU has put all of their glory eggs into one basket. But at what sacrifice? Why can't WSU still pay for a top notch MBB coach and have a football program. Why do we settle for less?

Interesting that when WSU had football (as awful as it often was) it seemed to be a part of WSU having greater name recognition. Football isn't only about the sport.

We are in the MoVal abyss in part because WSU doesn't have football. I painfully accept that, but I was hoping for better facilities and better results from the other sports as a tradeoff. I just don't see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              Where is the big athletic budget and results bump that occurred when WSU dropped football? Some of you sound as if WSU would cease to exist if the Shox had retained the football program. How about then WSU AD Lew "the screw" Perkins rolling up his sleeves and raising some money in the state's largest city?

Two paths and WSU took the road less likely to yield results. They took the easy road.
              DF (during football)
              -- 5 NCAA basketball appearances going 6-6 with a Final Four and 2 Regional Finals
              -- Enrollment numbers continue to trend upward

AF (after football)
              -- 4 NCAA basketball appearances going 2-4 (2 of those appearances happened within 2 years from WSU dropping football)
              -- 1 National Championship 3 years removed from WSU dropping football (many recruited during when WSU HAD football)
              -- Enrollment numbers quickly trend down and barely start to grow resulting in stagnation (while Wichita metro area grows at a much faster rate)

Facilities:
              What great facility expansion has occurred? Where is the VB only facility? Where is the women's basketball only facility? Where is the master plan of the baseball stadium in contrast to a hodgepodge built stadium. CKA was refurbished ONCE in a 50 year period (thank you CK).

I get the premise that WSU would see additional dollars for other programs once the football program was dropped.
              However, I don't believe any athletic director (excluding perhaps ADJS who drove to finally get HLA refurbished) really endeavored to move WSU athletics to the next level. I understand that WSU can pay HCGM $1m+/year in part because of a lack of football. I understand WSU has put all of their glory eggs into one basket. But at what sacrifice? Why can't WSU still pay for a top notch MBB coach and have a football program. Why do we settle for less?

Interesting that when WSU had football (as awful as it often was) it seemed to be a part of WSU having greater name recognition. Football isn't only about the sport.

We are in the MoVal abyss in part because WSU doesn't have football. I painfully accept that, but I was hoping for better facilities and better results from the other sports as a tradeoff. I just don't see it.
              Women's basketball only facility? Who has that, and what would be the need for that when we have CKA?

Comment

• Veritas you make some interesting points. Although, at least from my perspective, you fail to take into account a couple of items. One is that, at the time we dropped football it is my understanding that we had dug ouselves a fairly substantial financial hole and it took us many years to dig out of that just to get back to a breakeven point. Perhaps my understanding on that point is incorrect.

Also, your post seems to imply that if we had conitnued our program we would somehow be rolling in extra money from joining some other conference. Obviously, we will never know for sure, but the actual history of our program suggests the athletic department would have continued to hemorrhage cash with the financial deficit continuing to grow and grow. It is just as likely, if not more likely, that we could have sunk the entire athletic department or at a miniumum perhaps caused us to drop down to the D-II level of play.

Suggesting that if we had kept football we would be in far greater shape today than we are is highly speculative at best and really kind of fruitless.

In any case, we are where we are. Whether where we are has football in our future is difficult to say, but I think everyone agrees it is a huge challenge. One, that under the present administration will not even be looked at for at least another 3 or 4 years (and that assumes all of Dr. Bardo's other priorities just fall perfectly into place, which they may or may not).

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  DF (during football)
                  -- Enrollment numbers continue to trend upward Actually fall enrollment declined between 1983 and 1986 and the increased from 1986 to 1989.
                  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...14H1ZQ&cad=rja

AF (after football)
                  -- In baseball, 22 NCAA basketball appearances, 6 CWS appearances, 4 Final Fours (1988, 89, 91, 93), 3 CWS championship games (1989, 91, 93) and 1 National Championship.

-- Enrollment numbers increased from 1986-89 and then dropped.
                  Some of your post is corrected.

Comment

• Come on Chuck, share your smile...

Yipes, Stripes, Beechnut Gum x $31 B! http://www.forbes.com/profile/charles-koch/
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• We need him to share more than his smile. I can match Chuck smile for smile. Unfortunately, he outclasses me just a smidge in the pocketbook department.

Comment

• Charles Koch's net worth has went from 16B to 25B in about 6 years. While most of his assets are tied up in private corporate stock, thus not exactly liquid, I bet it wouldn't be too hard for him to squeeze out One Bill for the old University of Wu.

Imagine how our "fortunes" would change if Charlie would send us 4% (1B) of his net worth? As a wise man once said, "it would be on like Donkey Kong."

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          May want to edit Colorado St. It's located in Ft. Collins, not Colorado Springs and probably considered part of the "Denver area".
                          I am sorry about that, I was getting Air Force and Colorado State mixed up. I was thinking AFA was in Ft. Collins and Colorado St was in Colorado Springs.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                            Charles Koch's net worth has went from 16B to 25B in about 6 years. While most of his assets are tied up in private corporate stock, thus not exactly liquid, I bet it wouldn't be too hard for him to squeeze out One Bill for the old University of Wu.

Imagine how our "fortunes" would change if Charlie would send us 4% (1B) of his net worth? As a wise man once said, "it would be on like Donkey Kong."

T

...:cool:
                            Actually 1% would do wonders ($250 million).

Comment

• Football thread on a basketball forum?

NIU > KU

Ouch.. Must be some upset ShockerNetters here.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                                Football thread on a basketball forum?

NIU > KU

Ouch.. Must be some upset ShockerNetters here.
                                NIU beating KU in their 24,000 seat home stadium (Cessna stadium is about 25% larger). WSU used to play NIU and beat them too. I just wish WSU had football. It could have been us beating Ku today.

Comment

Working...
                                X