WICHITA STATE (7-1) at MISSOURI (6-2) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

Compared to IB, Coach Mills is a flowing volcano of passion in the sidelines.
    This isn't to say that HCIB is a better coach than Mills. He's not... But your statement makes me wonder how much you watched the previous teams. Mills is definitely more calm and subdued than HCIB was. Not that what HCIB did helped.

Comment

• 32 Missouri bench points versus 18 for Shocks. They played 12 players (8 scored) and we played the 7 that we had to play in this game. 9 assists and 18 turnovers for Shocks and 15 assists and 9 turnovers for MU. I was surprised that MU had 6 blocks and we only had 1 and MU had 13 steals and we had 6. Again, it was our 16 rebound advantage that not only kept us from being blown out and Shocks came within 2 points later in the game.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
        32 Missouri bench points versus 18 for Shocks. They played 12 players (8 scored) and we played the 7 that we had to play in this game. 9 assists and 18 turnovers for Shocks and 15 assists and 9 turnovers for MU. I was surprised that MU had 6 blocks and we only had 1 and MU had 13 steals and we had 6. Again, it was our 16 rebound advantage that not only kept us from being blown out and Shocks came within 2 points later in the game.
        The blocks make sense. They are a fairly tall team and we like to drive

Comment

• Ballard otfen blocks lots of shots but had 0 blocks tonight. Beverly led us with 4 blocks. KP had 1 and DR had the other one.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
            Ballard otfen blocks lots of shots but had 0 blocks tonight. Beverly led us with 4 blocks. KP had 1 and DR had the other one.
            That's what the box score says. However, I seemed to remember a swipe at a shot at the rim that I thought might get called for goal tending but didn't. Maybe that was Pohto's block.

Comment

• Pohto and Bell are pretty solid players...

...when they're playing against opponents who are worse than they are.

They kind of disappear when facing more skilled players. Some of that is to be expected, but it seems those two have rather dramatic shifts in their games based on the skills and abilities of their opponent.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

That's what the box score says. However, I seemed to remember a swipe at a shot at the rim that I thought might get called for goal tending but didn't. Maybe that was Pohto's block.
                I think his block was negated because Pohto got called for a foul

Comment

• Didn’t know we came to watch the coach. Smh, don’t understand why some of y’all miss Marshall’s emphatic wrist shaking.

Anyways, disappointing loss given how winnable it was. Foul disparity was obvious, but the biggest thing that stood out is that we have no ball handler or anything even resembling it. Feel bad for Mills with the bad stroke of luck on Cortes. Hopefully it’s all fixed up soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    Pohto and Bell are pretty solid players...

...when they're playing against opponents who are worse than they are.

They kind of disappear when facing more skilled players. Some of that is to be expected, but it seems those two have rather dramatic shifts in their games based on the skills and abilities of their opponent.
                    Small number of games for this year, so I looked at last year.

Pohto 8.7 ppg avg for the season - #1 game was SMU with 28. He totaled 17 pts in 2 games (9 and 8) against Memphis (8.5 avg) and 12 and 10 pts against Houston (10 pt avg).

Pohto 5.7 rpg for the season - #1 game was 12 against Houston. In single games, he had 7 against San Franisco and Cincinnati.

Bell didn't play all that much (7th in minutes, 14.7 per game). 4.0 PPG. Had 12 against Missouri, 7 KSU, 8 Houston among his top 8 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This isn't to say that HCIB is a better coach than Mills. He's not... But your statement makes me wonder how much you watched the previous teams. Mills is definitely more calm and subdued than HCIB was. Not that what HCIB did helped.
                      Very few games did I miss. Even when traveling, I make sure I tune in and am a season ticket holder. The bench is also FAR more involved under Mills than it ever was with Brown. And let’s not even begin to talk about the time out situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                        Didn’t know we came to watch the coach. Smh, don’t understand why some of y’all miss Marshall’s emphatic wrist shaking.

Anyways, disappointing loss given how winnable it was. Foul disparity was obvious, but the biggest thing that stood out is that we have no ball handler or anything even resembling it. Feel bad for Mills with the bad stroke of luck on Cortes. Hopefully it’s all fixed up soon.
                        Each coach has his own personality. Mills is Mills. Marshall was Marshall. Let it go.
                        This game was simple to explain. They had a legit Power 5 PG, we didn't.
                        East is the real deal - maddening how he just knifed through the defense and was always aware of his players and their spot on the floor.

The officiating? Perplexing, especially considering the crew.
                        Keith Kimble is top of the heap. Pat Adams, and Tony Chiazza didn't feel like blowing the whistle today.
                        Perplexing because all we hear is how the NCAA wants the game decided by athleticism, speed and ability - not the weight room.
                        The hand jabbing, swiping and general holding was evident on almost every possession. After a while, I stopped questioning and was resolved to the fact they were going to let it go.

Have to admire the grit on this team. With all of the silly turnovers at the start, this game should have been over at the under 12 TO. Yet, they hung in there.
                        Abidde and Ridgnal had to play as much as possible cuz they could match the athleticism MU was putting on the floor.

Time for finals and of course grades will come a out right after. Then Cortes will be on the clock.

That is all.
                        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Cortez not only brings us a point guard but more importantly an 8th player in the rotation. Let’s make sure he gets eligible.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
                            Cortez not only brings us a point guard but more importantly an 8th player in the rotation. Let’s make sure he gets eligible.
                            Yeah, I am on the fence whether Cortez will be some kind of PG savior....I doubt it will cure everything. But I think it is just important to get another body and one that is an actual PG.

Also curious if he comes in mid-season if it will kind of mess up any on court chemistry. Granted he has been practicing, but how much has he been on court with current starters....etc?
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• If we wanna make any noise this year, Cortes is a must. Period.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                If we wanna make any noise this year, Cortes is a must. Period.
                                Time will tell. I agree with you that its our only chance. I just don't know if that will be enough. But it would certainly help.
                                Last edited by shockerfan; December 3, 2023, 10:54 PM.
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X